Confirmed Buy-Out [PHI] Flyers buy out F Oskar Lindblom

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If the number is under 11M then they can technically sign him. You can go 10% over cap in the offseason. They would have to offload money before the seasons starts then though and everyone would know it and could hold them ransom.

EDIT: At 11M they would need to offload almost 8M in cap afterwards.
That's what I calculated as well, just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
That's what I calculated as well, just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything.
Yup, it's interesting for sure. I was listening to Pinder and Steinberg (the 2 good Flames radio guys) and they figure the Flames and Gaudreau are trying to hash out dollar amounts. Seems crazy to me. I'd go up to 11M without hesitation. Move Tkachuk if you have to. This organization can't lose another guy for nothing. Giordano, Iginla, Kipper, JBo, Cammalieri all went for nothing.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Evergreen

It’s kind of funny watching Flyers fans complain that their management often makes too many roster decisions out of loyalty and then at the same time complain about this move because management should have been more loyal to Lindblom.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Of course. 3 mil will go to the 2-3 rfas remaining Frost, Tippett, McEwen.
And they still need another defenseman and goaltender. And they’re almost gonna definitely outbid everyone for Deslauriers.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
It’s kind of funny watching Flyers fans complain that their management often makes too many roster decisions out of loyalty and then at the same time complain about this move because management should have been more loyal to Lindblom.
They complain a lot. have been for years. Probably younger folks bc old dude like me saw enough winning in my lifetime to withstand a few more bad years.

just for kicks, from 1971-1991 (i for one was 7-27) this franchise won more than its share. Compared with 5 other teams. Phi (in those 20 seasons) got more regular season pts than Chicago 16 times, NYR 14, Detroit 17, Toronto 18 and even Pit 17. Thats 82 out of 100. Will do 91-2021 later, pretty sure numbers will have fallen a bunch but cant take away those late 70s and 80s years.

I totally get why younger folks are fed up.

Yeah I guess I should have said "do they still need to trade JVR before being able to sign Gaudreau?"
Pretty sure they can bc of the 14 mil of Couturier and Ellis but could be wrong there.

edit: quickly did 1992-2012: Detroit kicked our butt 16/20 but Philly again outplayed all of Chi 14, NYR 15, Tor 14 and even mighty Pens 11. Pretty pointless i know. Will help me hang on

Last edited:

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Weird responses here. The Flyers already did Oskar a solid by giving him that contract to begin with. He’ll probably end up making more money this year being paid by both the Flyers, and whoever signs him. He’ll be fine.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Cancer is not a workplace injury
he’s owed $4M this season vs$1.33M in a buy out.
Neither is covid but people have been placed on LTIR because of it and it's effects

Just saying pretty shitty hand this kid was dealt

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Neither is covid but people have been placed on LTIR because of it and it's effects

Just saying pretty shitty hand this kid was dealt
Maybe I'm missing something but Lindblom can play. He returned to play a full season. You can't LTIR a guy when he's completely healthy now. He should be able to find another team to sign him. He'll be fine?

Makaveli

Killuminati
Jan 15, 2008
Toronto
I can see why Philly would do this. Oskar is a decent player but hasn't proved he's a 3 million dollar player. Wouldn't mind him on the Leafs on a cheap deal. Best of luck to him,

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
30 + year Flyers fan, this organization is trash, they are LOST.

Luckily the end is near, rock bottom is near.

The JVR trade and over priced signing tomm will be the final nail !

Reactions: trostol and Amorgus

serp

Jan 17, 2016
They're creating capspace because Lindblom is still young. He'll get a contract from someone else while the Flyers are will go out on a spending frenzy in free agency.

Kind of a dick move by the Flyers but they're very much on all out spending on new shiny toys mode.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
This team is a Goddamned embarrassment. We wouldn't have needed to buy Lindblom out if we hadn't traded for DeAngelo. We wouldn't have needed to attach assets to JVR if we hadn't extended Ristolainen. We wouldn't need DeAngelo at all if we had just kept Gostisbehere in the first place! Chuck Fletcher is a barnacle on the NHL's ass.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
If the number is under 11M then they can technically sign him. You can go 10% over cap in the offseason. They would have to offload money before the seasons starts then though and everyone would know it and could hold them ransom.

EDIT: At 11M they would need to offload almost 8M in cap afterwards.
My lord are the Flyers “possibly” doing some weird shit. What are the likely players that are moved to get the 8 + mil off the books ? JVR plus who else ?
He is still a decent player and somewhat takes away from their team.

FlyersFanSinceBirth

Jul 1, 2010
I really don't get the outrage here. The 3 million was very generous. Oskar has made more than he should have over the last two years. I wish him nothing but the best. But the Flyers already did him a favor.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
I don't get the responses in this thread. It sucks that he had cancer, but if they think they can improve the team by getting rid of Lindblom, there's no reason not to do it. He's in his mid 20's, he'll have more than enough teams willing to pay for his services.

This isn't some grand act of immorality. Relax people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad