Waived: [PHI] F Wade Allison waived by Flyers (cleared)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Could definitely see him getting claimed. Despite a sort of stop/start development, there are only so many actual "bigger body" players who have the ability to actually play some hockey and keep up with NHL pace, who end up available for "free".

On a minimum salary that pretty much any team can fit in...seems like someone might give him a try. Though there are less 4th line/spare spots available than usual around the league, with some teams resorting to bare bones skeleton rosters to make the cap fit.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I would pick him up and then dangle the idea of trading Podz for a rhd
Vasily Podkolzin is waiver exempt but I’m not sure if Vancouver is ready to give up on Vasily just yet.

Allison would probably be a decent but Vancouver is close to the cap so other moves would have to be made, probably not worth it.

Vancouver could claim a RHD in the coming days without losing asset.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
The Avs win the Cup every time they claim a 4th line RW on waivers from Philly.
Right now Allison is the best 4th liner on the Flyers, but they prefer knuckle draggers in the mold of their illustrious PoHo

Worth a 4th line spot for sure.

If he ever can stay 100% healthy? who knows?

But worth a flier.
He's not a knuckle dragger so no 4th line spot for him on the Flyers. Pretty comical.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Evergreen

Right now Allison is the best 4th liner on the Flyers, but they prefer knuckle draggers in the mold of their illustrious PoHo

He's not a knuckle dragger so no 4th line spot for him on the Flyers. Pretty comical.
Allison is not better than Poehling or Hathaway. That's nonsense.

Reactions: Breeze 44

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Won't be surprised if the Ducks make another claim here. Lineup is a bit short on size and jam. Allison might bring more intrigue than some of the current depth players.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Baffling that no one claimed this guy. Maybe the past injury troubles just scared teams away, but it's not like they were concussions. Just a bunch of fluky stuff.

Evergreen

Baffling that no one claimed this guy. Maybe the past injury troubles just scared teams away, but it's not like they were concussions. Just a bunch of fluky stuff.
He'll be 26 in a week and has 75 NHL games under his belt. He didn't exactly blow the doors down when he was up with the Flyers last year either.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

E1FE3E20-07DA-40CF-BC45-ED41DD409B60.jpeg

No NHL GM is heartless enough to forcibly take a ginger from the Flyers.

• Haha
Reactions: Devonator

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Allison is not better than Poehling or Hathaway. That's nonsense.
Poehling is a center so he is not part of the convo (and he is younger). He is probably a little better, maybe. For me it is a no brainer Allison over Hathaway 8 days a week (and ND). You have to consider the rebuild even though we know they are not....

Do you think the Flyers should have kicked the tires on Desisenko? I know they can't fit Brink and Forester already. This is why you can't take up spots with slugs....

Evergreen

Poehling is a center so he is not part of the convo (and he is younger). He is probably a little better, maybe. For me it is a no brainer Allison over Hathaway 8 days a week (and ND). You have to consider the rebuild even though we know they are not....
Allison will be 26 next week. He’s not exactly young. And you’re out of your mind if you think Allison is better than Hathaway.

31 other teams just told us that they don’t want Allison for free. What exactly does he bring to the rebuild?

Reactions: Breeze 44

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
A lot of people think it's a given that a lot of these guys gotta get claimed because they can play in this league, and Allison can, presuming he plays, which isn't a given.

The larger reality is that it's a great time to get guys through waivers, and while some do get claimed, teams don't have room to add many guys until the season begins and you start seeing injuries.

Allison is also gonna be 26, he's got 22 career points. Maybe someone's got numbers that says he's a better player, but who wants guys that can't find a spot even on a shitty team when they're aged out of being a prospect?

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
He'll be 26 in a week and has 75 NHL games under his belt. He didn't exactly blow the doors down when he was up with the Flyers last year either.

Yeah I dunno why people are baffled by this. 26 year old injury magnet with marginal upside?

He never had the makings of anything more than a decent 3rd line energy guy. Brutal health luck (and sone of the Flyers' amazing player development) basically nuked the limited upside he had.

On Twitter people were like, f***in' stunned he cleared. Have we been so deprived of actual good hockey players/prospects that people think Allison is A Guy?

Reminds me of the pearl-clutching about whether someone would claim Felix Sandstrom if waived. Don't think too many teams are lining up to get a crack at guys who can't hold a spot on a bottom-5 team in the league.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Yeah I dunno why people are baffled by this. 26 year old injury magnet with marginal upside?

He never had the makings of anything more than a decent 3rd line energy guy. Brutal health luck (and sone of the Flyers' amazing player development) basically nuked the limited upside he had.

On Twitter people were like, f***in' stunned he cleared. Have we been so deprived of actual good hockey players/prospects that people think Allison is A Guy?

Reminds me of the pearl-clutching about whether someone would claim Felix Sandstrom if waived. Don't think too many teams are lining up to get a crack at guys who can't hold a spot on a bottom-5 team in the league.

Regarding the bit in bold, just because a player isn't a fit on a bottom feeder doesn't necessarily mean that a good team wouldn't be interested. For example Colorado had success claiming NAK from Philadelphia and making him a useful 3rd liner on their cup winning team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad