Confirmed Buy-Out [PHI] David Schlemko

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I can't help but wonder how close to the cap Fletcher intends to be here; we save $125K this year, at a $600K cost next year. Moreover, couldn't we find anyone who would take Schlemko for a pick?

Evergreen

Wouldn't he have only cost $1M in the minors, meaning this saves us $100k on the cap this year at the cost of $600k on the cap next year? Doesn't really add up.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Maybe it's not about cap savings and more about giving a veteran guy who is buried on the depth chart one last chance to catch on somewhere else.

The jets did this with Mark Stuart a few years ago
I thought the same thing, but couldn't they give him freedom to negotiate a deal somewhere, then when they assign him to the AHL, he could refuse assignment and both sides could walk away, leaving him free and clear to do whatever he wants?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
buying out a 1 year 2 million dollar contract?

The flyers dont really have a spare million after over paying Hayes, retaining on Gudas, and blowing our plentiful cap space on Braun and Niskanen.

Provorovs contract is obviously becoming an issue, and we still need to get Konecny signed, too.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Maybe it's not about cap savings and more about giving a veteran guy who is buried on the depth chart one last chance to catch on somewhere else.

The jets did this with Mark Stuart a few years ago

If another team is interested in signing him for around $1m, perhaps a trade with 50% retained would make sense. Would have been 900K in salary for a year.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
If another team is interested in signing him for around $1m, perhaps a trade with 50% retained would make sense. Would have been 900K in salary for a year.
Doubt anyone gives up an asset (even a 7th) for him even with retention. This also opens the door for him to go play overseas

pled

Sep 7, 2009
The flyers dont really have a spare million after over paying Hayes, retaining on Gudas, and blowing our plentiful cap space on Braun and Niskanen.

Provorovs contract is obviously becoming an issue, and we still need to get Konecny signed, too.
it only save them 0.175m this year and -0.6m next year

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I thought the same thing, but couldn't they give him freedom to negotiate a deal somewhere, then when they assign him to the AHL, he could refuse assignment and both sides could walk away, leaving him free and clear to do whatever he wants?
Why would Schlemko pass up the ~$1.4m he will get for being bought out? That's a lot of money. Schlemko gets his $$$, the Flyers clear out a contract slot, and there's more ice time to go around in Lehigh Valley, minus the 32-year-old who isn't in Philly's plans.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Why would Schlemko pass up the ~$1.4m he will get for being bought out? That's a lot of money. Schlemko gets his $$$, the Flyers clear out a contract slot, and there's more ice time to go around in Lehigh Valley, minus the 32-year-old who isn't in Philly's plans.
It Was under the premise that they were letting him go so he could try to make an NHL roster elsewhere. I took that to mean he had some input into that decision, meaning he thinks that if he is going to bet on himself making a team, it at least covers the money he leaves on the table here. Wouldn't be surprised if he winds up on Toronto. Their D is going to be patched together worse than Frankensteins monster.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA

Except the problem is we're already short a couple defensemen short on the Phantoms and are at something like 35/50 contracts.

This doesnt make a ton of sense right now.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
By accounts of most of our beats, that 175k will likely make a difference for us, as the rumor is were going to be active tomorrow. Time will tell.
I hope the 600k doesn't make the difference negatively next year but I guess you try to win one year at the time

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I hope the 600k doesn't make the difference negatively next year but I guess you try to win one year at the time

We get Gudas retention back, Braun is done, and well be expecting to replace some people with the frost/farabee/ratcliffe types we have.

To be very clear, I'm not a fan of what Fletcher is doing but I try not to judge one move until I see why it was made. He was given marching orders to get the team to win and at least try to compete now and while I dislike the players hes trying to do it with, I can at least understand the moves in that light I guess.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

I think people need to hold up on any plan that involves mutual termination.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
By accounts of most of our beats, that 175k will likely make a difference for us, as the rumor is were going to be active tomorrow. Time will tell.

Ugh, if the Flyers are active tomorrow that would be the height of folly. They are going to struggle to pay their remaining RFAs, and adding some major player tomorrow would kill the team cap.

Although with Holmgren lurking about, his goal is always to make the cap stupid so he can figure out how to trade assets and picks to get back under the cap. It's like a game to him. No concern for tomorrow, only today. That style brought 44 years with no Cup. Good to see we will be back on that train.

Reactions: Starat327

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I hope I'm not the only person who saw this and thought, "wait - Schlemko still had an NHL contract?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad