Confirmed with Link: PHI Claims Calvin Pickard | CAR claims Curtis McElhinney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
McElhinney and Pickard are obviously good goalies, but the injury situations with Carolina and Philadelphia played a part in them both being claimed as well, I think. Rare already that a team puts two goaltenders of that calibre on waivers at the same time, and them both being claimed was a bit surprising, to me at least.

If that's still our goalie tandem by that point, Sparks would figure to be unprotected. Sparks being claimed by Seattle depends on a few things though, namely what other players we make available, but also which other goalies are left unprotected by the other teams.

That's quite true but Sparks was AHL goal tender of the year and would probably be better suited as a starting goal tender and if they have as good of a scouting staff as LV did, our D offers little promise for an expansion team and most of our Forwards can be protected, in my mind Sparks would be the one most likely picked up in that draft.

Mar 26, 2010
Pickard and McElhinney were picked up off waivers and there is no doubt Sparks would be taken in an expansion draft.

Solid Back-up goal tenders are not that plentiful and it wasn't until we got McElhinney that we had solid goal tendin
Not that Sparks is not a good goal tender but back-up goal tenders tend to only get 1/3 to 1/4 of the total number of games per season and some can handle those lay-offs and come in cold and play a great game, some can't but finding another back-up, will be very difficult if Sparks is lost in the expansion draft.
We can only hope Sparks is lost in the expansion draft. He is not an NHL goalie.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
And that's why I don't think Kyle thought both would get claimed. Do we really need to roll with 8 D on the team, knowing you would wipe out your goalie depth? Makes little sense.

I don’t think babcock wanted to do that though. Coaches like having depth in hand.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I know, but there was likely some degree of consolation between the two.

And i think ultimately Dubas rather risked losing goalie depth than say a D or forward to waivers.
Marincin already cleared waivers last year, I would argue he didn’t need to keep him up for real fear of losing him. I really believe that the brass felt one goalie would slip through.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Marincin already cleared waivers last year, I would argue he didn’t need to keep him up for real fear of losing him. I really believe that the brass felt one goalie would slip through.

And I’d say there’s a fair chance that was true. Though I think they also felt that Marincin offers a more immediate need than a 3rd goalie.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Enroth didn't play 15 games here. i think he played 5 did he not?

Ya he was out the door as soon as they could find a replacement. The person inwas tesponding too is suggesting that we take the full year to decide on sparks regardless of how awful he may play

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site

And I’d say there’s a fair chance that was true. Though I think they also felt that Marincin offers a more immediate need than a 3rd goalie.

Hainsey, who played the most on the PK last season, needs to cut back
Zaitsev, who played the second most dman Pk minutes, is coming off a shaky season.
Departed Polak provided third most dman PK minutes.

It might be argued that Marincin plays best on the PK so that he could be insurance until they get it figured out - which may well be more important than carrying a 3rd goalie they're eventually going to have to lose.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Ya he was out the door as soon as they could find a replacement. The person inwas tesponding too is suggesting that we take the full year to decide on sparks regardless of how awful he may play

LOL yah...clearly that person doesn't know babcock

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
This move along with letting Carrick go have me skeptical of Dubas. I know were giving him a long leash because of the Tavares signing but Ozighonov is not an NHL d man an Sparks has been givin many chances to show hes a NHL goalie and looked horrible every time.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
what a weird year to choose to be on Team Negative.

I've been following this team for a long, long time. Too long maybe. I cannot recall a year since the mid 60s when "Team Negative" wasn't around. It is kind of like dating someone you really like. It can get emotional when things aren't going well .... :) and maybe tougher when that goes on for many seasons

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
This move along with letting Carrick go have me skeptical of Dubas. I know were giving him a long leash because of the Tavares signing but Ozighonov is not an NHL d man an Sparks has been givin many chances to show hes a NHL goalie and looked horrible every time.

Not really. He has not played since his 17 games or whatever it was in that tanking season. Preseason games don't count for shit. At least give him a few games behind a legit team before writing him off.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Pickard and McElhinney were picked up off waivers and there is no doubt Sparks would be taken in an expansion draft.

Solid Back-up goal tenders are not that plentiful and it wasn't until we got McElhinney that we had solid goal tending.

Not that Sparks is not a good goal tender but back-up goal tenders tend to only get 1/3 to 1/4 of the total number of games per season and some can handle those lay-offs and come in cold and play a great game, some can't but finding another back-up, will be very difficult if Sparks is lost in the expansion draft.
I more mention Raycroft and Toskala lmao. You make good points. I think sparks going in expention draft is almost best case scenario. If he has a good year he just might.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Bit of confirmation bias at play tonight. The Leafs (nor we) shouldn’t necessarily be able to say for certain what the team should have done based on 1 game. Sparks didn’t play well though, was apparently watching Andersen a bit too closely last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad