GDT: PHI @ CBJ || NWA || 7:00 PM || GM 77

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Yeah, that’s about right.
Literally, what’s the point of this comment?? What’s better, that I watch practically every minute of the entire season and then have to argue nightly with people who think Patrik Laine is a good center and Manny Legace is who’s holding Elvis Merzlikins back, and a half page of comments every time Gudbranson mishandles the puck!?!

It’s as pointless as it is to watch these games and think you can take away THAT much from them. People like you around here are so UP AND DOWN on the team and individual players, not even game by game, but PERIOD BY PERIOD, you literally can’t communicate on here in any meaningful way.

HFCBJ being “run” the same way as the actual team/organization.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Literally, what’s the point of this comment?? What’s better, that I watch practically every minute of the entire season and then have to argue nightly with people who think Patrik Laine is a good center and Manny Legace is who’s holding Elvis Merzlikins back, and a half page of comments every time Gudbranson mishandles the puck!?!

It’s as pointless as it is to watch these games and think you can take away THAT much from them. People like you around here are so UP AND DOWN on the team and individual players, not even game by game, but PERIOD BY PERIOD, you literally can’t communicate on here in any meaningful way.

HFCBJ being “run” the same way as the actual team/organization.
Did anyone even say the Legace thing? I feel like you’re just making that up, per usual.

The Laine center thing was an experiment. People were excited for it. Damn them I guess?

HFCBJ doesn’t have nearly the young talent as the team does, come on now.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I liked the game, aggression, high tempo, for/backchecking. That's the reason I wanted Meyer and Malatesta in the lineup and not TFW. Of course Malatesta rotate with Pyyhtiä, still, they have to be stronger physically .... . But they are both pleasantly surprising. As well as Olivier, who has shown he can play on the third line.

Only it seemed to me or defence more structured, better offensive transition?

I wonder how the goalie issue will be resolved, Tarasov and Griva are at least as good as Merzlikins.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

RoyalOverNavy

Feb 25, 2023
Hello, Sabres fan here.
I really like the uniform combination your team wore against the Flyers.
Is there any chance of it becoming the team's primary look?
If so, I'd be a fan of that move.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I thought Severson was worth a 9 year deal.
He’s a problem the same way Jenner is a problem. And he was a UFA and 1 of the best options available.

Including Roslovic and Peeke, I could get to 10 guys on the team who have worse contracts than Severson.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The Laine center thing was an experiment.

And for all we know it might have worked if he didn't have the concussion.

Hello, Sabres fan here.
I really like the uniform combination your team wore against the Flyers.
Is there any chance of it becoming the team's primary look?
If so, I'd be a fan of that move.

Some of us have been pushing that for 15+ years.

For whatever reason the club doesn't want to do it.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Torts turning a bad Flyers roster into a wildcard contender, so they dont get high draft picks is pretty funny. Even funnier now that it looks like they might miss the playoffs. The oldman is truly gifted in getting the best out of horrible teams

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
He’s a problem the same way Jenner is a problem. And he was a UFA and 1 of the best options available.

Including Roslovic and Peeke, I could get to 10 guys on the team who have worse contracts than Severson.
My concern is the length of the deal. That's what makes it a bad deal.

8 years for a guy who is 29 and will have SEVENTEEN years in the NHL if he plays until the contract is over is fraught with risk. How many players play 17 years in the NHL? How many play even 12 or 13 years effectively enough to be on an NHL roster? When a player hits 13 or 14 full time years in the NHL, they're bumping up on 1000 regular season games played and most of the time that milestone is a pretty clear indicator that a player's best days are behind him.

While it is understood that long term contracts incorporate quality of play decline in the last year or two of the deal, this one has the risk of it being bad for 4, 5 or 6 years. Signing an older player for 8 years should be very rare and Severson doesn't come close to meeting that standard, IMO. This type of deal should be reserved for the elite players in the game.

Last edited:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
My concern is the length of the deal. That's what makes it a bad deal.

8 years for a guy who is 29 and will have SEVENTEEN years in the NHL if he plays until the contract is over is fraught with risk. How many players play 17 years in the NHL? How many play even 12 or 13 years effectively enough to be on an NHL roster? When a player hits 13 or 14 full time years in the NHL, they're bumping up on 1000 regular season games played and most of the time that milestone is a pretty clear indicator that a player's best days are behind him.

While it is understood that long term contracts incorporate quality of play decline in the last year or two of the deal, this one has the risk of it being bad for 4, 5 or 6 years. Signing an older player for 8 years should be very rare and Severson doesn't come close to meeting that standard, IMO. This type of deal should be reserved for the elite players in the game.
I understand the contract is longer than what was/is ideal. Is that not expected when it comes to UFA’s similar to his age and situation, even BEFORE acknowledging the CBJ’s absolute NEED for multiple additions to the defense?? If his salary/cap hit was a bit higher or the team had any sort of logical “replacements” ready to go within the next handful of seasons, I’d probably agree with you. Unfortunately, you seem to agree with me more than others when it comes to the “issues” with Jiricek, and after him, who do we have ready to go as a RD adequate to play top pairing minutes??

What if, like all the other “respectable” organizations, they fully understand the idea that Severson, as a veteran UFA, very well may not be worth his cap hit as ages 35+?? I think you , like many others, have not given him the credit he deserves, and vastly overestimated the timeframe that he could or should be looked as some “liability”.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad