Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Brandon Manning (2 year, $975k AAV)

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
He plays D...

Depth signing I guess? Although they have a lot more talented bodies coming in on D so hopefully this doesn't take a spot any from any of them

He's our #7 or #8 if Provorov makes the team. Will be useful to have around if we can deal Streit and/or Schultz

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I think he is a good 6/7 defenseman for us. I am fine with this signing. Now in the next year or two we need to weed out Streit,Schutz,and MDZ.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I don't like it... and I don't see Vegas interested in him what so ever. Not a fan of this move by Hextall... oh well

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
I don't like it... and I don't see Vegas interested in him what so ever. Not a fan of this move by Hextall... oh well

Vegas being interested in him means nothing. All he has to do is be exposed for the draft which will happen by him being under contract and playing 14 games this year...if he's not drafted then he gets waived for no penalty next year. He's basically the sacrificial lamb so that nobody of actual importance (i.e. Gudas) needs to be exposed

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
I think he is a good 6/7 defenseman for us. I am fine with this signing. Now in the next year or two we need to weed out Streit,Schutz,and MDZ.

Manning is the whipping boy for Flyers fans, but he really has done nothing to deserve it.

He was an undrafted WHL UFA who played his way up through the farm to the big club. He did everything they asked, sticks up for teammates and played pretty well in the playoffs. He's not big, fast or skilled, but he's in the NHL for now. He can easily be waived to the AHL anytime as the younger prospects come up, or stay in the lineup if Hexy deals some D. The two year deal discourages waiver claims.

Apr 10, 2012
Inner Space
He plays D...

Depth signing I guess? Although they have a lot more talented bodies coming in on D so hopefully this doesn't take a spot any from any of them

Lol, omg. Forgive me, just woke up....... Anyway, yeah I guess as incase anyone gets hurt? Or Provorov can't stay up? or idk?

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB

Really? He has really flourished in Philly, at least from what I've watched. I think the flyers would be best to hang on to him, at least until Provorov, Sanheim, Morin develop and gain some NHL experience and overtake him.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
He's a very good AHL defenseman, and a 7th/8th NHL defenseman capable of playing decent games here and there. On a good team he would be just fine. On the Flyers he was exposed at times.

Sweet Lou

May 24, 2015
Do any of you watch games? Manning is a solid #6 or #7 defenseman. Throws hits and sticks up for teammates. Under a million cap hit. It's just insurance in case of injury or if one of the kids doesn't work out this next couple years. He also had a good playoffs

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Vegas being interested in him means nothing. All he has to do is be exposed for the draft which will happen by him being under contract and playing 14 games this year...if he's not drafted then he gets waived for no penalty next year. He's basically the sacrificial lamb so that nobody of actual importance (i.e. Gudas) needs to be exposed

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

Yep, it is good insurance in case MacDonald does not play the 40 games to qualify this season.

Even if Flyers rate MacDonald over Manning and intend to start him an injury filled year for him would have ****ed us over if Manning was only given a year for example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad