Confirmed with Link: Phantoms sign G Leland Irving to AHL contract

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Why did we need a vet goalie unless he is going to play in ECHL. Maybe Hextall is looking to move Lyon???

With Hart and Sandstrom joining the AHL next year, not sure where Lyon fits long term in our organization....assuming they are sold that Stolarz is better. Which they might not.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'd relax before thinking about moving a goal prospect already.

Yeah wouldn't read into it too much. Someone the other day even said this was going to happen. With the injuries and call ups last year the lack of a legit 3rd goalie came back to haunt the Phantoms in the end.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I just find it odd that He would sign here knowing he would be in the ECHL. He seemed to post good numbers last year in Fin.

But I guess he is getting paid AHL money regardless where he plays.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Relax Flyers don't need to trade Stolarz or Lyon.
Irving is getting an AHL contract but gonna be playing mostly in the ECHL.

NHL Philadelphia Flyers
Starter: Elliott
Backup: Neuvirth

AHL Lehigh Valley Phantoms
Starter: Stolarz
Backup: Lyon

ECHL Reading Royals
Starter: Irving
Backup: Muse

Irving replaces Martin Ouellette and Muse replaces Mark Dekanich

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Could Lyon end up in the ECHL?

I really don't think the Flyers think much of either Stolarz or Lyon.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Could Vorobyev and Friedman end up in the ECHL because they signed Willows and Hora?

I really don't think the Flyers think much of either Vorobyev or Friedman.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Could Vorobyev and Friedman end up in the ECHL because they signed Willows and Hora?

I was listening to hockey prospects radio or something on Sirius around the time of the draft and they had the head scout for the Flyers on who couldn't stop gushing about Vorobyov.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Why did we need a vet goalie unless he is going to play in ECHL. Maybe Hextall is looking to move Lyon???

With Hart and Sandstrom joining the AHL next year, not sure where Lyon fits long term in our organization....assuming they are sold that Stolarz is better. Which they might not.

The Flyers have an agreement with the Royals that they are going to provide two AHL or NHL contracted goaltenders to the Royals. Of course those players will get called up in the event of injury, but as long as the current agreement is in place they are going to have six contracted goalies every year. Since the Flyers have two prospects now, and two more coming next year, a young goaltender has no future with the organization. Not surprising at all to see them sign AHL level journeyman goalies for depth at this point. Who would you expect them to sign for the fifth and sixth spots?

Sweet Lou

May 24, 2015
He has 3 kids now. He turned down 3 teams in Europe and Russia to play in North America. Doesn't want to move his kids around. Don't be surprised if he steals one of Stolarz or Lyons spots. He's a great goaltender.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They played Lyon like 20 something games in a row last year when Stolarz was up with the Flyers. So getting a third goalie who can come up from the ECHL & play when someone gets hurt or called up isn't a bad thing.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

Yeah, let's compare Alex undrafted-FA-24-year-old-with-one-mediocre-AHL-season Lyon to Vorobyev and Friedman.

I know how difficult it is for you to refrain from haughty sarcasm, but come on.

And my point about not believing the Flyers are particularly high on either Stolarz or Lyon is independent of the two other goalies being signed. But it does make it reasonable to wonder if one of them has a shot to beat out Alex freaking Lyon.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
We can compare him to 24 year old Mike Vecchione, if you like. They both went undrafted, but were highly in demand college free agents that Hextall went out of his way to sign and then burn the first year of their ELC. Is Vecchione going to end up in the ECHL? You can call Lyon's season "mediocre", but Hextall has said nothing to suggest that he feels the same way.

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelph...stolarz-which-goalie-gets-called-flyers-first

When asked about the organization's young goalies during a conference call about the Elliott signing, Hextall went out of his way to praise Lyon. "The guy we all forget about is Alex Lyon. He's done a pretty good job down there, too," Hextall said at the time.

But I know how difficult it is for you to refrain from "believing" things about the Flyers prospects that there is no objective basis for. That's why you spent last summer insisting Hextall wasn't going to give Konecny a fair shot at making the team out of camp. :snide:

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Yeah, let's compare Alex undrafted-FA-24-year-old-with-one-mediocre-AHL-season Lyon to Vorobyev and Friedman.

I know how difficult it is for you to refrain from haughty sarcasm, but come on.

And my point about not believing the Flyers are particularly high on either Stolarz or Lyon is independent of the two other goalies being signed. But it does make it reasonable to wonder if one of them has a shot to beat out Alex freaking Lyon.

I think your underestimating Alex Lyon's abilities. There was a reason why at least 10 teams were lining up to sign Alex Lyon out of college.

Lyon is still waiver exempt for two seasons or 60 NHL games whichever comes first, so Lyon can spend two more full seasons in the AHL to develop his skills.
I believe that Alex Lyon has the potential to become a full-time starter in the NHL with the proper time and development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad