Confirmed with Link: Phantoms sign G Leland Irving to AHL contract

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
You can tell it's nearing the end of the offseason. People are so god damn ratty around here it's unbearable.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Let's see, two veteran goalies on the Flyers who are known for their durability, so no change we'll ever recall Stolarz or Lyon, leaving the AHL team short, so no need for professional goalies on the ECHL team.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Why did we need a vet goalie unless he is going to play in ECHL. Maybe Hextall is looking to move Lyon???

With Hart and Sandstrom joining the AHL next year, not sure where Lyon fits long term in our organization....assuming they are sold that Stolarz is better. Which they might not.

Having Sandstrom and Lyon splitting time in LV while Hart plays in the ECHL is a possibility.

Tyler Parsons who was drafted 6 ranks behind Hart will likely start his pro career in the ECHL.

Yeah wouldn't read into it too much. Someone the other day even said this was going to happen. With the injuries and call ups last year the lack of a legit 3rd goalie came back to haunt the Phantoms in the end.

It's kinda surprising that it didn't work out with Dekanich. Him and Irving have a similar pedigree. (Same age, plenty of experience at the AHL level and in Europe)

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Having Sandstrom and Lyon splitting time in LV while Hart plays in the ECHL is a possibility.

Tyler Parsons who was drafted 6 ranks behind Hart will likely start his pro career in the ECHL.
Things could change, but the Flyers really haven't used the ECHL for any of their legit prospects. Lyon is on a 1 year deal. This could possibly be his last year with the organization if he doesn't force his way on the big club (and he would probably like to explore his options elsewhere if that's the case).

It's kinda surprising that it didn't work out with Dekanich. Him and Irving have a similar pedigree. (Same age, plenty of experience at the AHL level and in Europe)
Dekanich was AWFUL in his one brief cameo. He never got a look after that. Ouellette was decent for what he was, but he let in a couple terrible goals in the playoffs.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They needed another goaltender, that's kind of the long and short of it. Ouelette went elsewhere, think it was the Checkers. Hextall doesn't want to be caught with his pants down like they were in the playoffs. I don't know if Reading had a goalie signed or not, it'll be on the Phantoms dime, though, so they can probably focus on their skaters.

Even if they wanted to move Lyon, they couldn't. Nobody is looking for a 24-year old 4th goaltender in August. Lyon and Irving had similar save percentages in the AHL last year, which based on his previous work, is high for even Irving.

That's kind of the name of the game with these college UFA's. It's a lottery ticket. Them becoming nothing happens all the time. Hopefully he does something, but you can't hold your breath. If you're expecting something from him, you're probably anticipating him being in line for the NHL backup job next year or moving on. Essentially the same position Stolarz is in, who will be given preferred treatment given how much more time they've put in to him.

Even if Hart or Sandstrom go to the ECHL next year, it's not the end of the world for either. I'd rather both start than one back up. Jonathan Quick went there. Same team, in fact.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
We can compare him to 24 year old Mike Vecchione, if you like. They both went undrafted, but were highly in demand college free agents that Hextall went out of his way to sign and then burn the first year of their ELC. Is Vecchione going to end up in the ECHL? You can call Lyon's season "mediocre", but Hextall has said nothing to suggest that he feels the same way.

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelph...stolarz-which-goalie-gets-called-flyers-first

But I know how difficult it is for you to refrain from "believing" things about the Flyers prospects that there is no objective basis for. That's why you spent last summer insisting Hextall wasn't going to give Konecny a fair shot at making the team out of camp. :snide:

The Vecchione comparison is a hell of a lot better than your Vorobyev/Friedman analogy, I'll give you that much.

We'll see how Vecchione does in his rookie season in the AHL. He's also playing a position that's entirely different from goaltender, and isn't the AHL backup (aka the AHL position probably closest to the ECHL).

But by your reaction you'd swear the simple comment "Could Lyon end up in the ECHL?" is unfathomable. I think it's wrong to completely eliminate it as a possibility at some point this season, even if it's more unlikely than probable.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Lyon still has 2 years of waiver exemption but has a 1 year RFA deal. It would be dumb not to qualify Lyon after this season unless he totally ***** the bed really bad.

I wouldn't have thought Hextall would have went out of his way, burned a year of Lyon's ELC only to have him not qualified next season with a year of waivers exemption left for development.

Hextall signed this guy for a reason and will let Lyon develop accordingly.

I would say Lyon is just below the likes of goalie prospects Charlie Lindgren, Thatcher Demko and Linus Ullmark only difference is Lyon hasn't got his shot at the NHL level yet. I believe Lyon will be an NHL regular but needs time in the AHL like any other prospect goaltender.
Goalies always take the longest to develop, I'd hate to see Lyon tearing it up on another team just because he wasn't givin an opportunity to show what he was made of at the NHL level.

Alex needs to make the most of any opportunities that he gets next season, but it wouldn't hurt if he stayed at the AHL level for this season and the 18-19 season. Lyon seems to be more favored quietly among the organization due to Lyon's great stretches as a rookie when Stolarz was riding the pine in the NHL.

Stolarz should have been givin more of an opportunity when Neuvirth was out last season instead of riding Mason's confidence into the ground. That puts up a red flag to me that the Flyers organization doesn't believe too much in what they have in Anthony Stolarz or he would have gotten plenty of opportunities, god knows we were all questioning why Stolarz didn't get more starts when he was with the Flyers. Stolie isn't flashy and is just big, he has more work to do before he's NHL ready especially side to side movements.

If anything Sandstrom will probably stay an extra season in Sweden anyway, the way he talks it sounds like he isn't in any rush at all to come over to North America and doesn't strike me as a goaltender that would stand out, in fact I don't believe Sandstrom will ever become a regular at the NHL level sure he'll eventually come over to NA but I don't think he will stay too long after being in the AHL more then a year or two, before he goes back to Sweden.

Ultimately I'll say it's gonna be a Lyon-Hart tandem.

As for Irving if he does good then resign as ECHL starter for 18-19 season, but if he plays like Dekanich did last season then there isn't no need to resign.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Lyon still has 2 years of waiver exemption but has a 1 year RFA deal. It would be dumb not to qualify Lyon after this season unless he totally ***** the bed really bad.

I wouldn't have thought Hextall would have went out of his way, burned a year of Lyon's ELC only to have him not qualified next season with a year of waivers exemption left for development.

Hextall signed this guy for a reason and will let Lyon develop accordingly.

I would say Lyon is just below the likes of goalie prospects Charlie Lindgren, Thatcher Demko and Linus Ullmark only difference is Lyon hasn't got his shot at the NHL level yet. I believe Lyon will be an NHL regular but needs time in the AHL like any other prospect goaltender.
Goalies always take the longest to develop, I'd hate to see Lyon tearing it up on another team just because he wasn't givin an opportunity to show what he was made of at the NHL level.

Alex needs to make the most of any opportunities that he gets next season, but it wouldn't hurt if he stayed at the AHL level for this season and the 18-19 season. Lyon seems to be more favored quietly among the organization due to Lyon's great stretches as a rookie when Stolarz was riding the pine in the NHL.

Stolarz should have been givin more of an opportunity when Neuvirth was out last season instead of riding Mason's confidence into the ground. That puts up a red flag to me that the Flyers organization doesn't believe too much in what they have in Anthony Stolarz or he would have gotten plenty of opportunities, god knows we were all questioning why Stolarz didn't get more starts when he was with the Flyers. Stolie isn't flashy and is just big, he has more work to do before he's NHL ready especially side to side movements.

If anything Sandstrom will probably stay an extra season in Sweden anyway, the way he talks it sounds like he isn't in any rush at all to come over to North America and doesn't strike me as a goaltender that would stand out, in fact I don't believe Sandstrom will ever become a regular at the NHL level sure he'll eventually come over to NA but I don't think he will stay too long after being in the AHL more then a year or two, before he goes back to Sweden.

Ultimately I'll say it's gonna be a Lyon-Hart tandem.

As for Irving if he does good then resign as ECHL starter for 18-19 season, but if he plays like Dekanich did last season then there isn't no need to resign.

Great post.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
They needed another goaltender, that's kind of the long and short of it. Ouelette went elsewhere, think it was the Checkers. Hextall doesn't want to be caught with his pants down like they were in the playoffs. I don't know if Reading had a goalie signed or not, it'll be on the Phantoms dime, though, so they can probably focus on their skaters.

Even if they wanted to move Lyon, they couldn't. Nobody is looking for a 24-year old 4th goaltender in August. Lyon and Irving had similar save percentages in the AHL last year, which based on his previous work, is high for even Irving.

That's kind of the name of the game with these college UFA's. It's a lottery ticket. Them becoming nothing happens all the time. Hopefully he does something, but you can't hold your breath. If you're expecting something from him, you're probably anticipating him being in line for the NHL backup job next year or moving on. Essentially the same position Stolarz is in, who will be given preferred treatment given how much more time they've put in to him.

Even if Hart or Sandstrom go to the ECHL next year, it's not the end of the world for either. I'd rather both start than one back up. Jonathan Quick went there. Same team, in fact.
Sandstrom is going to be the goalie of the future after coming over next year to play in the AHL. Hart will be the only one who can challenge him for the role. I can see Hexy giving Stolarz or Lyon a chance late in the year after dealing Neuvirth for a pick. Whichever one it is means the other is gone.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Sandstrom is going to be the goalie of the future after coming over next year to play in the AHL. Hart will be the only one who can challenge him for the role. I can see Hexy giving Stolarz or Lyon a chance late in the year after dealing Neuvirth for a pick. Whichever one it is means the other is gone.

I tend to agree that this is a two horse race between Sandström and Hart.
Stolarz and Lyon are stuck in between and may be considered part of the bridge. They may still get some NHL playing time the next couple of years if things come their way.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

That's interesting. I didn't realize Parsons was done with Junior hockey, but he's 11 months older than Hart.

Like the Flyers, Calgary have some used some high picks on goalies recently.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=18602

Gillies - #75 in 2012
McDonald - #34 in 2014
Parsons - #54 in 2016

Gillies started 39 AHL games with a .910 SV% last year.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
We can compare him to 24 year old Mike Vecchione, if you like. They both went undrafted, but were highly in demand college free agents that Hextall went out of his way to sign and then burn the first year of their ELC. Is Vecchione going to end up in the ECHL? You can call Lyon's season "mediocre", but Hextall has said nothing to suggest that he feels the same way.

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelph...stolarz-which-goalie-gets-called-flyers-first

But I know how difficult it is for you to refrain from "believing" things about the Flyers prospects that there is no objective basis for. That's why you spent last summer insisting Hextall wasn't going to give Konecny a fair shot at making the team out of camp. :snide:

It seems like Hextall takes some pride in Lyon.

giphy.gif

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
just added depth to the minor league goalie rankings when one of Stolarz and/or Lyon get called up due to injuries to Nuevy and/or Elliot.
need some depth down there this coming season. don't want to sign a beer league goalie to backup someone in the AHL or ECHL.
I remember I drafted this guy like 10 years ago in my keeper league. thought he was going to be something decent. oops.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad