Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Juniors, Int'l, etc. (2015/16 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Nice PP assist for Sanheim. His patented dipsy-do move from up high to create the goal.
The rush was more impressive. Used his reach to protect the puck and fend off the forechecker. Created a few more chances after that.

9 game point streak.

Friedman picked up an assist. 4g, 12a, 16p, +10 in 27gp on season now. Motoring after a slow start point wise. 16 points have all came in last 22 games.

Back-to-back 6 spots for Bowling Green. Rare sight.

T-2nd in team scoring as a defenseman and one off the team lead.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The rush was more impressive. Used his reach to protect the puck and fend off the forechecker. Created a few more chances after that.

9 game point streak.

Back-to-back 6 spots for Bowling Green. Rare sight.

T-2nd in team scoring as a defenseman and one off the team lead.

I imagine he stays in college the whole 4 given how close he is to the coach there and how he has been committed since he was like 14!

So the end of 2017-18 we should see him on the Phantoms, when he is 22.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I imagine he stays in college the whole 4 given how close he is to the coach there and how he has been committed since he was like 14!

So the end of 2017-18 we should see him on the Phantoms, when he is 22.

I'd be a little surprised if he played 4 years. And if I'm the Flyers there's no way I let him play a 4th year there.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I'd be a little surprised if he played 4 years. And if I'm the Flyers there's no way I let him play a 4th year there.

He just seems super committed to BG... like more than most NCAA guys are to their college.

But yeh, I cannot imagine the Flyers want him playing the extra year... especially considering how well he is progressing.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He just seems super committed to BG... like more than most NCAA guys are to their college.

But yeh, I cannot imagine the Flyers want him playing the extra year... especially considering how well he is progressing.
Gostisbehere was really committed too. Money talks.

Generally the good prospects only play 3 years of college hockey. Want to avoid the temptation of being a UFA if possible- especially if one or two of these young defensemen are as good as we think.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Gostisbehere was really committed too. Money talks.

Generally the good prospects only play 3 years of college hockey. Want to avoid the temptation of being a UFA if possible- especially if one or two of these young defensemen are as good as we think.

Yeh, I suppose it is true. Hard to say no to a ~900k ELC... even if most likely he will 'only' be earning $70k on top of his likely $92.5k signing bonus in first season.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Here it is:
[collapse=1][/collapse]
Slick pass leading to a goal:
[collapse=2][/collapse]
Everything but the tuck:
[collapse=3][/collapse]

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There's no rush on Friedman, with the big four, MDZ, Gudas, Hagg, Alt, Myers, if he takes 3-4 years they can wait.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
There's no rush on Friedman, with the big four, MDZ, Gudas, Hagg, Alt, Myers, if he takes 3-4 years they can wait.

The problem is that if he takes the full four years at BG, he has no incentive to sign with the Flyers. He may do it out of loyalty, but he has no actual reason to not test the market at that point.

EDIT: And that's probably even more true on a team like the Flyers that has no shortage of young defenders.

Last edited:

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
The problem is that if he takes the full four years at BG, he has no incentive to sign with the Flyers. He may do it out of loyalty, but he has no actual reason to not test the market at that point.

EDIT: And that's probably even more true on a team like the Flyers that has no shortage of young defenders.

Wish they would change the way that works.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Can't really do anything. You hold those guys' rights for 4 years (unless they're drafted while in college). CHL is only 2.

Yeah but the difference is you can sign the guys in the CHL and still let them play there. All they have to do us allow college players to sign their contracts after getting drafted, then go back to college. It would take the whole UFA loophole out of play. They could even have the same rules where if they are not signed in 2 years, back to the draft they go.

Only the NCAA is stopping this from happening.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah but the difference is you can sign the guys in the CHL and still let them play there. All they have to do us allow college players to sign their contracts after getting drafted, then go back to college. It would take the whole UFA loophole out of play. They could even have the same rules where if they are not signed in 2 years, back to the draft they go.

Well they'd have to make the same rule for all their other sports too which would just open a big can of worms. It would kind of ruin the whole amateur athletics concept.

The whole thing is kind of overblown anyway. Most high end kids don't stay any later than three years. No point in playing against inferior competition & not getting compensated via pro contract.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Flyers just need to let Friedman know the same ELC Ghost received is waiting for him whenever he's ready.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Watching a re-run of the Cape Breton-Saint Johns game from last night.

Zboril sucks.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

Not to nitpick, but it's not really a "loophole" since this is actually how the CBA intended for the rule to be interpreted and implemented. Basically, the rule is explicitly defined in the CBA, so there's no oversight with regard to how college players become UFAs.

But I agree, the problem agent in this is the NCAA. It's professional sports in everything but player compensation.

Well they'd have to make the same rule for all their other sports too which would just open a big can of worms. It would kind of ruin the whole amateur athletics concept.
There's a lot that already ruins the concept of NCAA "amateur" sports.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
They corrected it.

Now 35 points in 35 games.

Glad to know I'm not crazy and didn't imagine that play in my head. The official scorer must have been asleep.

Dove-Mcfalls looked about as advertised on NHLN today. Big kid, skates well, defensive-minded. A possible 4th line guy in the future for sure. It would be very nice to have a good, cheap 4th line in the future. We have a bunch of good candidates with him, Fazleev, Leier, Vorobyov, Goulbourne, even NAK.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He's Robert Hagg. Too casual out there. I never got all the Zboril > Chabot talk last year.

Agreed. Hes no better than Hagg. Saying he sucks is an overstatement but he should not have been a Top 15 pick in a draft that deep.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There's a lot that already ruins the concept of NCAA "amateur" sports.

Well yeah but that's really besides my point. I was just simply stating why it wouldn't happen at least willingly from an NCAA standpoint. They'd really run the risk of losing all their power if they legitimatized their leagues into non-amateur status at least with the big sports that make the money.

Last edited:

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Yeh, I suppose it is true. Hard to say no to a ~900k ELC... even if most likely he will 'only' be earning $70k on top of his likely $92.5k signing bonus in first season.

Friedman seemed pretty intent on the NHL so he'll come when asked. No rush yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad