Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Juniors, Int'l, etc. (2015/16 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Previous thread

Phantoms' schedule:

Schedule-662x1024.jpg

Name | Link Allentown Morning Call | http://www.mcall.com/sports/hockey/phantoms/ Allentown Morning Call (Stephen Gross' Twitter) | https://twitter.com/SteveGrossMCall Allentown Morning Call (Gary Blockus' Twitter) | https://twitter.com/gblockus
American Hockey League | http://theahl.com/ Easton Express-Times | http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/sports/
Lehigh Valley Phantoms (Facebook)| https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lehigh-Valley-Phantoms/168799376594629?fref=ts
Lehigh Valley Phantoms (Website) | http://www.phantomshockey.com/
Lehigh Valley Phantoms (Twitter)| https://twitter.com/LVPhantoms
Bob Rotruck's Twitter (Phantoms' radio broadcaster) | https://twitter.com/BobRotruck

Name | Link Reading Eagle (Jason Guarente's Twitter) | https://twitter.com/JasonGuarente
Reading Royals (Website) | http://royalshockey.com
Reading Royals (Twitter) | https://twitter.com/RRoyalsHockey

Name | Link
Team's Twitter | https://twitter.com/usphlflyers
Team's Facebook | https://www.facebook.com/USPHLFlyers
USPHL's Website | http://www.usphl.com/
Flyers' Skate Zone| https://twitter.com/FlyersSkateZone

Name | Link
QMJHL, OHL and WHL| http://chl.ca/

04' hockey

Jul 1, 2003
City of Brotherly Lo
Visit site
Watching Provorov's last game against the Warriors. He's just so smooth in his skating. You barely see when he starts skating harder but all of a sudden he just starts flying by some players. I think the best way to describe Provorov is that he's conservative. He can head fake, dangle, pinch offensively, but he only does so when he deems necessary. I also like how defensively responsible he is. Even if he could beat someone to a loose puck in the Ozone, he usually gets back and into position so that he can nullify the ensuing attack and counter attack and start the rush the other way. His passing is always on point, he plays his man so well almost without fault it seems. It's like Kimmo Timonen just transplanted his veteran brain into an 18 year olds body
Cyborg LeClair, thanks for the analysis :cheers:

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
That "best prospect pool" in the NHL thread on the main board is pretty funny, basically Leaf fans vs. all. But would you take our prospect pool or Toronto's?.

They have two top prospect forwards, so they have us beat there, but we have them beat in defense and goaltending in my opinion

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
That "best prospect pool" in the NHL thread on the main board is pretty funny, basically Leaf fans vs. all. But would you take our prospect pool or Toronto's?.

They have two top prospect forwards, so they have us beat there, but we have them beat in defense and goaltending in my opinion

The Flyers and it isn't even close IMO. Edmonton, and the Flyers roster for that matter the last couple of seasons, is a great example of dangers of building forward first. Defenders take longer to develop and are harder to acquire. In 4 years the Flyers wil have a stellar defense, in theory anyway. What will Toronto's defense look like? The last two tankers to win multiple cups, La and Chicago, built heavily on defense first.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey

When ranking "best" everyone always looks to the shiny, flashy forwards first in hockey. best prospect pools, best players, best lineups.

Fact is, you build from the net out, and I think the Flyers have just about everyone beat in that aspect.

But frankly we DO need to strengthen our forward pool, and I'm sure we will. I think Konecny will be a good 1W/great 2W, Lindblom and NAK decent 2Ws, Leier, Cousins, Martel, Goulbourne and Fazleev all skilled, energy bottom 6ers. We could use another game-breaking winger or two. Looking at that thread, I hadn't noticed how awesome Arizona's pool was. I know Winnipeg is deep, and Toronto is impressive too.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Maybe the price for Perlini would be reasonable given all the other forwards they have.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park

Because of what we already have at the forward position

Provorov+Sanheim+Morin>Nylander+Marner

If we didn't have G, Coots, Voracek, Konecny I'd probably prefer to have those top forward prospects, but since we have great forwards already, we need those top defensive prospects to round out our team.

Even if we were starting from scratch I might still prefer Sanheim and Provorov over Nylander and Marner.

It's like asking if you'd prefer Perry+Getzlaf or Weber+Suter. Top forwards or top dmen? I've seen what both can do for a team and in today's league I'd rather have the defense

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
When you think we could have:

Giroux, Voracek, Couts, BSchenn, Laughton and Konecny for the next 7/8 years...that leaves only 3 top 9 spots left for:

Nak, Cousins, Lindblom, Fazleev, Leier, Marody, etc...

And really...this coming year and in the next few years, we will be drafting forwards with our 1st rounders.

Plus whatever return we get for Streit and Simmonds at some point.

So while we don't have the shiny forward prospects that the Leafs have, he have 2 players who are clearly better than anything they have for the next few years and Simmonds is as good as any forward on their roster.

In Marner and Nylander, they have 2 guys who could be top 10 scorers. Well, so do we...they are just signed for the next 8 years and on our roster and have proven they can do it.

Just imagine, in 2 years, we will have added a ton more depth and possibly 2/3 more top 6 players to our pipeline.

So excited over the amount of depth Hextall has built for us. And Holmgren gets some credit for being involved in the drafting of Ghost, Morin, Hagg, Stolarz, etc.

We are building up a sustainable pipeline of assets and prospects. Not having to waste picks on short term rentals and instead can call someone up to fill the need instead.

Good times ahead.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
When you think we could have:

Giroux, Voracek, Couts, BSchenn, Laughton and Konecny for the next 7/8 years...that leaves only 3 top 9 spots left for:

Nak, Cousins, Lindblom, Fazleev, Leier, Marody, etc...

And really...this coming year and in the next few years, we will be drafting forwards with our 1st rounders.

Plus whatever return we get for Streit and Simmonds at some point.

So while we don't have the shiny forward prospects that the Leafs have, he have 2 players who are clearly better than anything they have for the next few years and Simmonds is as good as any forward on their roster.

In Marner and Nylander, they have 2 guys who could be top 10 scorers. Well, so do we...they are just signed for the next 8 years and on our roster and have proven they can do it.

Just imagine, in 2 years, we will have added a ton more depth and possibly 2/3 more top 6 players to our pipeline.

So excited over the amount of depth Hextall has built for us. And Holmgren gets some credit for being involved in the drafting of Ghost, Morin, Hagg, Stolarz, etc.

We are building up a sustainable pipeline of assets and prospects. Not having to waste picks on short term rentals and instead can call someone up to fill the need instead.

Good times ahead.

Wait why are we going to trade simmer?

I think eventually we will trade quantity for quality as both Chicago and LA did. That will creat spots for the next few years worth of prospect forwards to come in, as Chicago and LA are always doing. If all of our D men hit we will have to trade some at some point

PhillyCurt12

Apr 12, 2010
One opinion I've been seeing a lot recently is that he will decline prior to us contending. We'd get the most value out of him by trading him now. It really depends on how long management thinks it will take for the d prospects to be fully up and running.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

People could rank our pool & players last for all I care. The prospect forum is only good for info with players without an NHL team attached to their name yet when there's really no bias involved.

Leafs with their constant pimping of their players on there is a great example of that.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

I think eventually we will trade quantity for quality as both Chicago and LA did. That will creat spots for the next few years worth of prospect forwards to come in, as Chicago and LA are always doing. If all of our D men hit we will have to trade some at some point

I have said this before so thought people have seen my views on it.

It will take another 2-4 years to clean up our crap contracts and for the kids on D to be playing...and more importantly...playing really well.

In 3.5 years, Simmonds will be an upcoming UFA...right when our window could be opening. I, PERSONALLY, don't want to re-sign Simmonds to a big contract for his 30-36 year old seasons.

I love having Simmonds on the team and would do so if kept. But I don't want the declining years on our books when our window is open especially when he will be looking at a big payday after being such a bargain for so long.

So...with that knowledge of the future of what I want, I act now. Trading Simmonds NOW does a few things. It gives us a great return when his value is high. No risk of decline. PLUS, the return for him will likely be prospect and picks. Well by trading him now, it allows those prospect and picks to help us just when the window is opening. If we wait 2 years, then those assets coming back are 2 years further in helping us...in theory of course.

JUST AN EXAMPLE: Say he was traded for Scherbak and a 1st. Well that 1st will be 21 when our window opens and Sherbak will be 23 with AHL and NHL experience under his belt.

It's short term pain with potential long term gain when our window is open. Essentially, I try and trade him NOW, for someone who will be better than him in 3 years + 1st for the risk factor + more. And the other team does it because they eliminate all the risk and are in a win now mode. It's just like the Richards trade....without the drugs. LA traded for the better player on that day but gave up 2 assets who would be better in the future. They just did not see Richards dropping so quick and Simmonds rising as far as he did. But they won a cup so it was worth it.

And a team like MTL would be perfect. They are in a win now situation and and Price and MaxP contracts have 3 years left. Their window is open now. And with Simmonds a non-rental...they get him for 4 playoff runs. That has great value.

If Simmonds was 2 years younger...or even signed for 2 more years, I don't even think of moving him. But being a UFA right when the window is opening, I don't want big money paid to guys for their 30+ year old seasons.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think with the flat cap, free agents aren't going to be looking for big money, a lot of teams up against the cap have buyer's regret and aren't going to be throwing money around.

What I'd expect is an extension in a year or to extending to age 33-34 at a reasonable rate. Simmonds is not an elite player, he's not going to expect to get G or V money, he probably doesn't even expect to get as much as Couts.

Flyers also clear a LOT of cap room in two years with Umberger, Streit, L Schenn, Read, Vinnie (eventual buyout) off the books.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Id rather keep Simmonds in case our window opens as soon as next season. We need guys with grit and leadership so that we don't turn into Edmonton who has plenty of talent and draft picks but no direction.

Trading Simmonds now is a fantasy GM move and I'd prefer to stick with him until his contract is up. He still seems like a player on the rise, he's not gonna decline for 5 more years

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Adam Lowry just got sent down to play some AHL games, and he's averaging 13 minutes in the NHL.

I'm not sure what we're doing with Laughton right now.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I think with the flat cap, free agents aren't going to be looking for big money, a lot of teams up against the cap have buyer's regret and aren't going to be throwing money around.

What I'd expect is an extension in a year or to extending to age 33-34 at a reasonable rate. Simmonds is not an elite player, he's not going to expect to get G or V money, he probably doesn't even expect to get as much as Couts.

Flyers also clear a LOT of cap room in two years with Umberger, Streit, L Schenn, Read, Vinnie (eventual buyout) off the books.

The issue with Simmonds is that power forwards tend to fall off the cliff so to speak. There usually isn't a slow and steady decline. It's like good for many years and then all of a sudden crap from then on out. Simmonds isn't that great defensively so without the goal scoring, his value is going to dry up real quick. At 30, he is going to want a multi year contract which will bring a big risk for the Flyers even at his current caphit if he isn't scoring.

Simmonds could also bring the most out of a trade today outside of Giroux and Voracek. It will take a couple of seasons for the defense to get remade into a championship calibre group, so if the future is paramount, moving Simmonds for multiple assets for the future isn't a bad idea.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

We can't extend Simmonds until 3 years from now.

And FA ARE going to be looking for big money. That's why they want to be "free".

If Simmonds is still a 50-60 point guy, he will be looking for a 5+ million dollar deal. Look at Lucic right now. He is not signing for 4-4.5 million.

But yeah...if I had a magic ball and knew Simmonds would sign a 3 year deal at 4 million I would be keeping him. But he won't be.

I have noticed a weird thing....lots of players get valued on points/million. Example...40 point guys get 4 million. 50 point guys get 5 million. 80 point guys get 8 million. etc...

And of course that is not the case everytime, but it holds true with lots of guys when signing the contracts. Jake...just got 80 points...8 million. Frolik...42 point guy got 4.3 million.

So as a general rule, I look at what a guy gets in points and figure what he would get in FA. Of course there are always exceptions. But finding those guys who are well below are always deemed bargains.

Simmonds 50-60 points for $3.975 is a bargain.
Simmonds at 5.5-6 million is not.

Just what I noticed.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
And yet some people get mad if you say we should extend BSchenn at $4m.

Yeah...truth is when you look at other people...4-4.5 million is quite fair. If he was in the 3's....then it would be a great deal and maybe even a steal.

Just like if he got 5 million I would feel it's too much. But hey, maybe I am the only one how feels this way. It just seems like guys who are considered on good contract pay less than 1 million per 10 points.

Look at Matt Read. He was considered on a good contract if he was getting 40 points. But not if he gets 25-35

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
GM's are getting their hands forced by the stagnation of the cap. They're not learning their lesson. Once it go's back up again the stupid deals will come back at a more frequent occurrence.

Simmonds is still two summers away from UFA after this upcoming one a lot can change in regards to the cap climate by then.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
GM's are getting their hands forced by the stagnation of the cap. They're not learning their lesson. Once it go's back up again the stupid deals will come back at a more frequent occurrence.

Sports management-- the only field where you don't have to be elite (or even remotely proven) to reach the pinnacle of your profession.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
DISCLAIMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO EXCITEMENT IS ALLOWED TO BE SHOWN WHEN READING THIS!

The Flyers site has a write up on Myers. If you choose to read and react, please do so with the curtains closed.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=792592

Not too much to get excited about in the article. What will get you excited (and therefore into BIG trouble) is watching him play. Because he actually looks like a really good prospect. Of course it's probably just all smoke and mirrors, we shouldn't get excited about a smooth skating two way dman who's 6'5" and right handed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad