Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It is crazy that the “we need a sniper” crowd never really thinks of Brink’s high goal & shot creating ability he’s shown to this point.

And he actually self creates these looks and beats goalies from distance with an array of shots instead of greasy goals and tap ins from Nick Suzuki.

Hell, I’d call Frost more of a “sniper” too than Ratcliffe. Not Brink good but good. To say nothing of their passing.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
It is crazy that the “we need a sniper” crowd never really thinks of Brink’s high goal & shot creating ability he’s shown to this point.

That's because that crowd thinks that what a sniper is is some 6'+ tall speedster going wide on defenders before beating a goalie clean from the circles with a blistering yet perfectly placed wrist shot. Midgets with iffy skating need not apply.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
That's because that crowd thinks that what a sniper is is some 6'+ tall speedster going wide on defenders before beating a goalie clean from the circles with a blistering yet perfectly placed wrist shot. Midgets with iffy skating need not apply.

Plus, it has to be someone on another team.

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Anyone care to share a Wyatt Kalynuk scouting report on his play so far this season? Haven’t really been able to catch any of his games so far.

I’m having a conversation with a friend and he thinks it’s a bad thing that Kalynuk is 2nd in P/GP among 22YO NCAA defenseman this season...

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Anyone care to share a Wyatt Kalynuk scouting report on his play so far this season? Haven’t really been able to catch any of his games so far.

I’m having a conversation with a friend and he thinks it’s a bad thing that Kalynuk is 2nd in P/GP among 22YO NCAA defenseman this season...
On Nov 9th I saw someone critiquing K'Andre Miller's season on the main boards so asked about their thoughts on Kalynuk and what they saw. Here were a few responses from people.

"He hasn't been good this year. Don't know if it's the pressure of being captain or what, but he's been a borderline liability in the d-zone. There is good news though! It’s a lot things that can be easily corrected. I won’t question his offense, but the defense and breakout need some work. Just like the with K’Andre Miller. His d-zone awareness is a little suspect.

Edit: I might be a little more openly critical about the d-zone as well because it’s been an issue since Granato became HC at Wisconsin"

and another's opinion:

"Yeah, he hasn't been a rockstar, not sure that he was ever a stud defensively but this whole defensive group seems like they are asleep in the DZ at times. Which is bizarre because legitimately all of them are pretty good players. Kalynuk has at least shown his offensive ability a bit though"

Just sharing info I was given, take to with a grain of salt.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Nothing that can't be fixed with a couple years with Gordon at LHV. :sarcasm:

Actually, Huffman seems to being doing a good job coaching up the defensemen down there.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
On Nov 9th I saw someone critiquing K'Andre Miller's season on the main boards so asked about their thoughts on Kalynuk and what they saw. Here were a few responses from people.

"He hasn't been good this year. Don't know if it's the pressure of being captain or what, but he's been a borderline liability in the d-zone. There is good news though! It’s a lot things that can be easily corrected. I won’t question his offense, but the defense and breakout need some work. Just like the with K’Andre Miller. His d-zone awareness is a little suspect.

Edit: I might be a little more openly critical about the d-zone as well because it’s been an issue since Granato became HC at Wisconsin"

and another's opinion:

"Yeah, he hasn't been a rockstar, not sure that he was ever a stud defensively but this whole defensive group seems like they are asleep in the DZ at times. Which is bizarre because legitimately all of them are pretty good players. Kalynuk has at least shown his offensive ability a bit though"

Just sharing info I was given, take to with a grain of salt.

I see. Thanks!

Reactions: Tripod

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Sandstrom looked good last night. .931 GAA gave up two goals. Seemed a lot more comfortable, and was in position and not scrambling around as much as he was early on. The team is playing a lot better too, despite the fact that they are playing three forwards they signed in the last ten days and one who was a healthy scratch for the first month. They won 7-2. Ralph Cuddemi had four goals and a fight, and he's leading the league in goals and points. He might be the next call-up if anyone else goes down in Lehigh Valley. (or Hershey, Wikes-Barre, Syracuse, Binghamton...)

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I am glad Brink seems to be having a pretty good start to his freshman collegiate season.

With his size & skating questions, & JOB’s failure last season, I think it was fair to be cautious. Where does he rank among NCAA freshmen in points per game? In the only list I could find he wasn’t top 11, but he must be pretty close.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I am glad Brink seems to be having a pretty good start to his freshman collegiate season.

With his size & skating questions, & JOB’s failure last season, I think it was fair to be cautious. Where does he rank among NCAA freshmen in points per game? In the only list I could find he wasn’t top 11, but he must be pretty close.

NCAA 1-for-1 scoring comparisons are almost impossible between divisions. It's like comparing CHL to USHL to MHL. Brink plays in arguably the best division in college hockey, with probably the most parity and structured defense. The top Big Ten and Hockey East teams can go toe to toe, but you can stat pad easier as well.

He's 11th in points/game among freshman, if you limit the sample size to >= 12 games (Brink has 14), which I think is fair. Same criteria, he is 5th in points/game among 18 year old freshman. He is 1st in the NCHC in all freshman scoring and points/game. He is 5th in the NCAA in age 18 cumulative scoring, behind Caufield, Turcotte, Zegras, Zac Jones (NYR -- dynamic 3rd round defender, Attard's partner last year). Brink also accelerated a year last season, as he was a high school junior.

As for JOB, they aren't anything alike. JOB has 2.5 inches and 20 lbs on Brink, with no skating concerns. If Brink had the physical tools of JOB, he goes top 10 easy.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
NCAA 1-for-1 scoring comparisons are almost impossible between divisions. It's like comparing CHL to USHL to MHL. Brink plays in arguably the best division in college hockey, with probably the most parity and structured defense. The top Big Ten and Hockey East teams can go toe to toe, but you can stat pad easier as well.

He's 11th in points/game among freshman, if you limit the sample size to >= 12 games (Brink has 14), which I think is fair. Same criteria, he is 4th in points/game among 18 year old freshman. He is 1st in the NCHC in all freshman scoring and points/game. He is 5th in the NCAA in age 18 cumulative scoring, behind Caufield, Turcotte, Zegras, Zac Jones (NYR -- dynamic 3rd round defender, Attard's partner last year).

As for JOB, they aren't anything alike. JOB has 2.5 inches and 20 lbs on Brink, with no skating concerns. If Brink had the physical tools of JOB, he goes top 10 easy.
Good post. And I mean that, & I appreciate the info. I legitimately am pleased with Brink’s young stats at Denver.

I didn’t mean to imply JOB & Brink had similar sizes & games. They don’t. Just that I wanted to see what Brink would do as a college freshman before diving all in, since he did have some questions.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
York and Brink is the new Provy and TK. I want to pick up extra firsts every year!
Let's hope so. Brink to me is one of the most interesting prospects of ours in a long time. He looks 12, not only doesn't he shave but he doesn't even have peach fuzz. He skates funny, he is 5 foot nothing and 160 lbs yet he makes something happen almost every shift. I spend a lot of time in Colorado and get a lot of UD games. I have no idea whether he will make it but I really like watching him play.

Reactions: TheKingPin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad