Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The thought of Eichel playing two seasons of college hockey is hilarious.

I’m trying to imagine what that would even look like. He won the Hobey Baker as a predraft freshman. The next year it was won by a senior who scored TWENTY FIVE less points. As a sophomore..does he win it with double the runner up?

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I just don’t know how you’re really supposed to get better at something when you dominate the competition like that?

Offense to a degree is a form of defense itself & when putting up the offensive numbers like Eichel did I seriously doubt you’re getting into enough defensive situations at that level.

I always find this argument hilarious. So and so needs to work on the defence. So you get them to play at a level where they constantly control the puck and flow of the game? Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Big Z getting the pub.

13. The Flyers, by the way, may have found another one. There are good reviews for WHL Calgary defenceman Egor Zamula, who they signed last season as a free agent.

(Name redacted) criticizing my prospect rankings...
I still can't comprehend how Zamula is our #6. I like the guy a lot for a UFA, but he shouldn't be anywhere near top 10.

Last edited:

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Became more of a fan of Big Z after this training camp, Stizzle. Definitely thought he looked like more of a player than, say, Ratcliffe.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If we can get Zamula on the Provorov training regime (insane workouts, followed by copious amounts of cheese, herring & black bread, washed down with Vodka), he could be a starter in the near future.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Royals are stacked. Building a winning culture

Apart from on defence. Where it is a comedy show. Granted I have only seen two games, but Knodel and Michel look like the only guys who are top 4 level in the ECHL.

I think my 2nd favourite English team - Sheffield Steelers have easily a better D group than them, like genuinely the Steelers #6 would be Readings #1. (tbf EIHL is probably ~ECHL level with more top end talent, and the Steelers have the best D in league on paper.)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, that explains why Sundstrom and Ustimenko are there, they'll see plenty of shots and get great practice at stopping two on ones. :sarcasm:

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Is Couturier the best pick in round 1 of 2011?

Him, Landeskog, or Huberdeau really

I think Scheifele is in the conversation.

I would still go with Coots though.

EDIT: Missed that it just said first rounder and added Gibson and Kucherov.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jtown

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Good breakdown, though I think he’s way off on Victor Soderstrom. If that guy doesn’t become a damn good NHLer I’ll be very surprised.

That said, I’ll take the moves the Flyers made to get both York & Brink.

Soderstrom was a guy I did not want in the slightest. When just looking at clips of him playing I was alarmed by his slow skating. It was a weak draft for dmen in general and the only guy who I felt comfortable in drafting was York , and was pleasantly surprised when we got him. York reminds me of Ty Smith. Just a smart, reliable mobile dman with solid hands who can play a simple game if he has to . And with the possibility of losing a dman like myers in expansion draft I thought it would be a no brainier to draft someone like that as a plug and play option in our top 4.

Trading back from 11 to 14 and being able to scoop up a pick that would help you land Brink was a genius manuever by Fletcher. I think over time people are going to be initially upset that we missed out on Caulfield ( and to some extent Kaliyev). Yet overtime I think we will see that you can do a lot worst than adding york and brink.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think Soderstrom's skating is really pretty good.

I was a bit iffy on him, but that was more due to him not having a "great" OZ IQ. Just have a hard time seeing him get ~30+ points in the NHL.

Reactions: VladDrag

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Soderstrom was a guy I did not want in the slightest. When just looking at clips of him playing I was alarmed by his slow skating. It was a weak draft for dmen in general and the only guy who I felt comfortable in drafting was York , and was pleasantly surprised when we got him. York reminds me of Ty Smith. Just a smart, reliable mobile dman with solid hands who can play a simple game if he has to . And with the possibility of losing a dman like myers in expansion draft I thought it would be a no brainier to draft someone like that as a plug and play option in our top 4.

Trading back from 11 to 14 and being able to scoop up a pick that would help you land Brink was a genius manuever by Fletcher. I think over time people are going to be initially upset that we missed out on Caulfield ( and to some extent Kaliyev). Yet overtime I think we will see that you can do a lot worst than adding york and brink.
Interesting. I love Soderstrom & think he’s a good skater. His style, though, is not a puck rusher, & he tends to control the tempo rather than push it, so it may seem like he’s slow.

I think he’s one of the smartest defensive prospects, offensively & defensively, I’ve seen in recent years. His overall hockey sense & ice awareness are off the charts. Always head up, incredible vision. And stellar at defending/breaking up zone entries at the blueline.

I can see why AZ fell in love with him.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I will add that I’m very much a York fan & I think he has a lot of the same qualities. Extremely smart, great awareness.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
There's no one I'm happier for than that dude here with Royals season tickets.
Thanks - quite happy about it myself. Finally seeing the Flyers follow through on their promise of assigning players to Reading and not just taking ECHL guys recruited by the Royals and signing them to AHL contracts.
Apart from on defence. Where it is a comedy show. Granted I have only seen two games, but Knodel and Michel look like the only guys who are top 4 level in the ECHL.
They have been a mess on defense so far. Drake will certainly help when he gets past his injury. Cecere, Cockerill and Beaudry are capable ECHL players, but haven't shown it. Mazza is the guy you get to fill in when shorthanded, but isn't going to demand a trade when he's getting scratched, plus he plays with an edge and isn't afraid to drop the gloves, which you even with the rule changes and everything still comes in handy in the ECHL.
Royals head coach also likes to play a run and gun offensive style, so they are always going to give up some chances going the other way. He said since he took over he'd rather win 6-5 than 1-0, and that certainly puts more energy in the arena and hopefully more fans in the seats. Also, as I said last week, the schedule, the travel, and the injuries haven't helped any as far as having an opportunity to work on systems or get comfortable with linemates or partners. I expect a little better team defense this weekend (although they are playing in Wheeling with the oddly sized rink, and a bunch of guys who haven't played there before, so something weird usually happens there in the first game of the season.)

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think Soderstrom's skating is really pretty good.

I was a bit iffy on him, but that was more due to him not having a "great" OZ IQ. Just have a hard time seeing him get ~30+ points in the NHL.
I remember when you were very high on Lindblom. Man were you right. I think he turns into a Arvidsson like player from an underrated standpoint.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
I remember when you were very high on Lindblom. Man were you right. I think he turns into a Arvidsson like player from an underrated standpoint.
Yes I thought the same thing. But I don’t remember your take on the Detroit 7th round pick same draft. Axel Soderstrom, something like that. The one Meltzer thought we should have taken instead of Lindblom. What ever happened to Axel?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yes I thought the same thing. But I don’t remember your take on the Detroit 7th round pick same draft. Axel Soderstrom, something like that. The one Meltzer thought we should have taken instead of Lindblom. What ever happened to Axel?

Axel Holmstrom. He’s back in Sweden after a few years with Detroit’s AHL team. They opted not to qualify offer him so he’s not in their organization anymore.

Axel Holmström at eliteprospects.com

IIRC his skating was pretty awful.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad