Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [The June 2022 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Giroux isn't less talented than Voracek. How do you dream this stuff up?
Giroux is smaller and slower than Jake, both are good passers with good vision. Giroux's only edge over Jake is as a shooter, and G isn't elite in that area.

G is the better player because he works harder, is smarter, higher motor, and more disciplined.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
This would all be true if it weren't false
If giroux was built like Jake he'd be the best player in the world.
Voracek is my go to example of prospect infatuation. He was a dynamic passer with great transition and possession abilities. He had no confidence in his shot and for good reason. It was barely NHL level and seemed to decline rather than improve. He had a few seasons at close to a ppg which is an accomplishment but through both linemates and individual efforts never became the player he could have.
He's also a good example of the lack of direction this franchise has had. Ok Jake get the puck up ice and feed it to...... Scott frickin laughton. Iron sharpens iron and you want guys who are driven to succeed and find the inner fortitude to raise themselves to the best on the team and in the league. Putting players in a position to succeed and communicating what they need to do to be successful.
Voracek and to a lesser extent giroux we're premier playmakers who spent nearly all of their time here without a shooter. Now we are flooding the team with shooters as if both those guys were still here and twenty three

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
In Charlie's prospect interview with Flahr today, His Rotundity spoke 500 words about Gauthier's potential, and he didn't mention one single aspect relating to skills. It was incredibly actually. 500 words about his size, learning to play defense at center, managing pucks, and intangibles stuff like maturity and focus. This is your cornerstone prospect -- you think you'd gush over something tangible.

For all these prospects really, it's just dull fluff and cliches. Not just about development but about the players themselves. Not that it's unique to Flahr. You watch videos like the Flyers 2013 draft, and you realize how pitiful prospect talk is among the quote unquote experts.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Giroux is smaller and slower than Jake, both are good passers with good vision. Giroux's only edge over Jake is as a shooter, and G isn't elite in that area.

G is the better player because he works harder, is smarter, higher motor, and more disciplined.
You are never allowed to state that center has more value than wing ever again.

Talk about moving the posts

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
In Charlie's prospect interview with Flahr today, His Rotundity spoke 500 words about Gauthier's potential, and he didn't mention one single aspect relating to skills. It was incredibly actually. 500 words about his size, learning to play defense at center, managing pucks, and intangibles stuff like maturity and focus. This is your cornerstone prospect -- you think you'd gush over something tangible.

For all these prospects really, it's just dull fluff and cliches. Not just about development but about the players themselves. Not that it's unique to Flahr. You watch videos like the Flyers 2013 draft, and you realize how pitiful prospect talk is among the quote unquote experts.
Nice to know they drafted their 5th overall prospect as a replacement for Thompson.

Draft capital well spent.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Opinions on JR Avon
Watched a handful of this games with the Petes. Small fast C, very good speed but not amazing with the puck. Possibly a bottom 6 F if his game rounds out.

Zanetti was also in Peterborough, big lanky puck mover, good 2 way D man, looked ok at WJC for Swiss too.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I thought Zanetti looked fine in the televised prospects game. He had good size, knew how to play the game. Ginning as well, though I'd say Ginning was better.

Samson was a disaster.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Interview with Flahr, Defensemen and Goalies:

Zamula:

But I think he’ll show well in camp. You watch him, playing with a pro just skating and playing shinny. He knows how to play the game, his hockey sense, his ability to make plays is really good. So there’s a lot of things to work with there. For him, it’s just the time it’s gonna take physically to get him right. I think this year he’s going to put himself in a position to get games. I’m hoping he takes a step here in camp and shows well.

[play RHD] I think he has the ability to, for sure. The stick, the puck skills and the instincts to play his off side. But that stuff will sort itself out.

Andrae:

He’s a tank, he’s obviously never going to be the tallest guy, but he’s built well. He’s strong. But just his hockey sense, his IQ, his vision, his ability to sort things out, not only retrieve pucks but move it up ice, he can play power play. He’s a highly competitive kid, he’s a real serious kid, which is good. And this year, we hope he takes that next jump to the Elite League. In our meetings with him, he’s visualized having this year, and then hopefully coming over next year.

Attard:

Unless you’re an elite offensive talent, you’ve got to learn how to defend. You’ve got to learn to gain your coach’s trust, to be out there against good players, and not just managing the game, and just surviving. And he has the size, he has the range and reach, he’s more than capable of defending. It’s just learning that side of it, and then picking your spots to get involved offensively. The way he shoots the puck, he’s going to get some chances to generate offense. Even in college, he played so much, he just had to manage his shifts a little bit. And that’s part of just learning.

That’s the reason guys sometimes have to play down (in the AHL), you realize what you can get away with and what you can’t. But you also don’t want to take the natural instincts out of a player, and the reads, and things that certain guys are capable of doing, and others aren’t. For a guy like Ronnie, for me, it’s a fine line. Obviously you want to put in structure, you want to put in the details that he’ll have to learn. And then it’s about managing the game, and then knowing when you can go, and when you can’t.

Ersson:

Yeah, I think he just needs his reps. Realistically, maybe he can challenge and get some games. We want him to try to be more than just a 15, 20 game (NHL) backup someday. So I think to be able to run with it, and hold the net, it’ll be a big learning experience for him over here.

Sandstrom:

Charlie: Mike Yeo noted that in recent weeks prior to the recall in the AHL, Sandström’s advanced metrics down there were among the best in the league for goalies. [interesting to note that they keep track of AHL advanced metrics, too bad we don't have access!]

Yeah, I thought he did. And just from being there, as depleted as our lineup was up here (in the NHL), down there (in the AHL) it was really depleted. First half of the year, those guys (the goalies) kept us in games. And he really battled. I thought he finished strong the year before (in 2020-21), but this (past) year, it was the first time he can really run with it. He was healthy and it was great experience for him — sometimes getting all of those shots and having a battle every night, as draining as it is mentally, it was good for his development to really battle through that.

Kosolov:

I think, for a young goalie for his age, where he played that level (the KHL) and having the success he had, certainly prior to getting COVID and whatever he had there last year. He didn’t play exactly on the (best team) so you’re (facing) lots of quality chances. He handled it well, he played exceptionally well on the national (Belarus) team when he got an opportunity. He’s competitive, is technically good, he’s athletic. There’s just a lot of things to work with there.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Interview with Flahr, Defensemen and Goalies:

Zamula:

But I think he’ll show well in camp. You watch him, playing with a pro just skating and playing shinny. He knows how to play the game, his hockey sense, his ability to make plays is really good. So there’s a lot of things to work with there. For him, it’s just the time it’s gonna take physically to get him right. I think this year he’s going to put himself in a position to get games. I’m hoping he takes a step here in camp and shows well.

[play RHD] I think he has the ability to, for sure. The stick, the puck skills and the instincts to play his off side. But that stuff will sort itself out.

Andrae:

He’s a tank, he’s obviously never going to be the tallest guy, but he’s built well. He’s strong. But just his hockey sense, his IQ, his vision, his ability to sort things out, not only retrieve pucks but move it up ice, he can play power play. He’s a highly competitive kid, he’s a real serious kid, which is good. And this year, we hope he takes that next jump to the Elite League. In our meetings with him, he’s visualized having this year, and then hopefully coming over next year.

Attard:

Unless you’re an elite offensive talent, you’ve got to learn how to defend. You’ve got to learn to gain your coach’s trust, to be out there against good players, and not just managing the game, and just surviving. And he has the size, he has the range and reach, he’s more than capable of defending. It’s just learning that side of it, and then picking your spots to get involved offensively. The way he shoots the puck, he’s going to get some chances to generate offense. Even in college, he played so much, he just had to manage his shifts a little bit. And that’s part of just learning.

That’s the reason guys sometimes have to play down (in the AHL), you realize what you can get away with and what you can’t. But you also don’t want to take the natural instincts out of a player, and the reads, and things that certain guys are capable of doing, and others aren’t. For a guy like Ronnie, for me, it’s a fine line. Obviously you want to put in structure, you want to put in the details that he’ll have to learn. And then it’s about managing the game, and then knowing when you can go, and when you can’t.

Ersson:

Yeah, I think he just needs his reps. Realistically, maybe he can challenge and get some games. We want him to try to be more than just a 15, 20 game (NHL) backup someday. So I think to be able to run with it, and hold the net, it’ll be a big learning experience for him over here.

Sandstrom:

Charlie: Mike Yeo noted that in recent weeks prior to the recall in the AHL, Sandström’s advanced metrics down there were among the best in the league for goalies. [interesting to note that they keep track of AHL advanced metrics, too bad we don't have access!]

Yeah, I thought he did. And just from being there, as depleted as our lineup was up here (in the NHL), down there (in the AHL) it was really depleted. First half of the year, those guys (the goalies) kept us in games. And he really battled. I thought he finished strong the year before (in 2020-21), but this (past) year, it was the first time he can really run with it. He was healthy and it was great experience for him — sometimes getting all of those shots and having a battle every night, as draining as it is mentally, it was good for his development to really battle through that.

Kosolov:

I think, for a young goalie for his age, where he played that level (the KHL) and having the success he had, certainly prior to getting COVID and whatever he had there last year. He didn’t play exactly on the (best team) so you’re (facing) lots of quality chances. He handled it well, he played exceptionally well on the national (Belarus) team when he got an opportunity. He’s competitive, is technically good, he’s athletic. There’s just a lot of things to work with there.
You convienently left this out about Zamula:

I think (he’s gained) eight pounds or something like that (Zamula noted he’s gained 12 pounds this summer, moving up to 192), which is noticeable just when you see him. But also just strength-wise. I think everybody’s been in a rush with him and even he himself loses patience a little bit. He wants to be in the NHL, and fans do I’m sure.

But (at the) same time, he’s the type of kid … you’ve seen his body type off the ice, it’s not an overnight thing. It’s going to take time. I don’t think he likes to eat — he’s not gonna make a very good scout at the end of the day. So our strength guys are feeding him, he’s eating six meals a day or whatever it is. It’s crazy what he eats. But it’s just one of those things, it just takes time to put weight on and obviously get stronger.

But he has put in some time this summer, he’s noticeably stronger, just watching him skating. He feels good. He looks better. But you know, there’s still a ways to go is my guess.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's not unusual for someone as young as Tuomaala to play part-time in Liiga or the SHL.
These are pro leagues where HCs are focused on winning, not player development.

60 Liiga players 20 or under:
17 draft picks
10 (6 drafted) have played 3 games, 5 (3 drafted) have played 2 games, so far this season.

As the season progresses, these young players will generally get more PT.

Tuomaala played the first 3 games, and 3 of 4 of the Champions HL games. [off EP stats for Jukurit]

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
It's not unusual for someone as young as Tuomaala to play part-time in Liiga or the SHL.
These are pro leagues where HCs are focused on winning, not player development.

60 Liiga players 20 or under:
17 draft picks
10 (6 drafted) have played 3 games, 5 (3 drafted) have played 2 games, so far this season.

As the season progresses, these young players will generally get more PT.

Tuomaala played the first 3 games, and 3 of 4 of the Champions HL games. [off EP stats for Jukurit]
Then is it no in both parties best interest to play elsewhere?

Loved all the Kappenen will take care of everything approach. This kid needs steady consistent playing time. Can it be anymore obvious?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Loved all the Kappenen will take care of everything approach. This kid needs steady consistent playing time. Can it be anymore obvious?
He played 6 of their first 7 games at 19 years old.

Unless he's benched for an extended period, given his slight frame, I don't think it's a bad thing for him to sit out a few games. This is a much tougher league than the CHL, on par with the AHL. He's playing against men trying to earn a living, not 16-20 year old kids.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT

Or maybe this kid just isn't that talented or not a fast processor, it may take a lot more time to teach him how to play at the pro level. Kapanen will only help so much as giving him a fair shot to earn playing time.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Zamula needed to add strength, even Zamula admitted that.
He's not a speedster, with that frame he's not going to avoid contact like Ghost in his prime.

So while he's never going to be a physical player, you want enough "sand in the pants" that a forward on the rush can't push you back to your goal. And to be able to hold your own fighting for puck possession.

And there's a stamina issue as well, D-men are involved with a lot of contact, whether retreiving pucks in the D-zone or wrestling with players in front of the net - and players wear down over the course of a season.

The added weight didn't seem to impact his skating, he's got a smooth stride but he never had an explosive burst.

Reactions: Flyerfan18

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
He played 6 of their first 7 games at 19 years old.

Unless he's benched for an extended period, given his slight frame, I don't think it's a bad thing for him to sit out a few games. This is a much tougher league than the CHL, on par with the AHL. He's playing against men trying to earn a living, not 16-20 year old kids.
So maybe they gave him every chance and he didnt secure a spot. It is not good for development to sit.

Those 6 games where they no exhibition games? Did they count in the season standings?

Or maybe this kid just isn't that talented or not a fast processor, it may take a lot more time to teach him how to play at the pro level. Kapanen will only help so much as giving him a fair shot to earn playing time.
Absolutely that is possible as well. It was a tongue in cheek comment about Kapenen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad