Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. (Playoffs edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think it's funny that one guy spent all season raving about how Laberge and Myers should take the rest of the season off and shouldn't even be practicing, and then the JAMA comes out with this.

http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2593568

Key Points
Question Is participation in physical activity within 7 days following acute concussion associated with lower rates of persistent postconcussive symptoms in children and adolescents compared with conservative rest?

Findings In this prospective, multicenter cohort study of 3063 children and adolescents aged 5.00 to 17.99 years after propensity matching, the proportion with postconcussive symptoms at 28 days was 28.7% with participation in early physical activity vs 40.1% with conservative rest, a significant difference.

Meaning Participation in physical activity within 1 week after injury may benefit symptom recovery following acute concussion in children and adolescents.

Abstract
Importance Although concussion treatment guidelines advocate rest in the immediate postinjury period until symptoms resolve, no clear evidence has determined that avoiding physical activity expedites recovery.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You mean to tell me that a random person on the internet doesn't know more than real, trained neurologists????????????????????????

This is shocking news.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Never let the availability of actual studies on the internet interfere with an opinion.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
However that study only finds a correlation, albeit stronger than your average spurious correlation, and not a causal link between physical activity and PCS - which the authors are careful to point out.

What the original argument was I do not know nor is this an argument either way.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
The real issue with those studies is that you can also find one on the same topic that says something completely different. Its really bad in the medical world but the same with economists, environmental and public opinion polls and a host of other fields. You really need to look closely at the assumptions and who sponsored the study to tell if there is anything credible to the study.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
However that study only finds a correlation, albeit stronger than your average spurious correlation, and not a causal link between physical activity and PCS - which the authors are careful to point out.

What the original argument was I do not know nor is this an argument either way.

The original argument was that one person said that they shouldn't be allowed to play for the rest of the season, even after they were fully cleared for contact.

What I, and others, tried to explain to him was that, although having a concussion increases the likelihood of having another concussion, waiting after being cleared to play doesn't make a difference.

So, to make up a number as an example, if someone has a +20% chance of having another concussion (due to having a concussion in the past), they'll have a +20% chance a week after being clear and still have a +20% chance a year after being cleared, so ignoring the doctors advice and making them wait a made up amount of extra time accomplishes nothing. It doesn't make them any more safe... the only way to lower the chance of being re-injured is to retire.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
The real issue with those studies is that you can also find one on the same topic that says something completely different. Its really bad in the medical world but the same with economists, environmental and public opinion polls and a host of other fields. You really need to look closely at the assumptions and who sponsored the study to tell if there is anything credible to the study.

There is nothing egregious with any assumptions made by the authors. It's just that the treatment, which would be engagement in physical activity, is not assigned randomly among the studied sample which makes causal inference very difficult.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I hope our new PP coach helps to recruit Raddyish. We need to build a perennial contender in Allentown to build a development environment like the ones of Caps, Pens or Red Wings.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
There's another Raddysh.

Phantoms likely have Myers, Friedman, Willcox on the right side this year and a ton of PP option with or without Sanheim. Don't see the Flyers being too appealing to him.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There's another Raddysh.

Phantoms likely have Myers, Friedman, Willcox on the right side this year and a ton of PP option with or without Sanheim. Don't see the Flyers being too appealing to him.

Don't forget dynamic offensive defensemen TJ Brennan! That's one PP spot guaranteed.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Hey guys - I started working on my own personal spreadsheet to track Flyers prospects moving forward. I started putting together the list the other day. So far I've sepeated by position, ranking them by depth at position, and then adding a "trend" to their ranking.

Wanted to see what you guys thought.
Spreadsheet Link

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Hey guys - I started working on my own personal spreadsheet to track Flyers prospects moving forward. I started putting together the list the other day. So far I've sepeated by position, ranking them by depth at position, and then adding a "trend" to their ranking.

Wanted to see what you guys thought.
Spreadsheet Link

Very cool. Obviously a labor of love, and the attention to detail is impressive. It's clean and very readable, good use of color, font size changes, bold, and the hyper links are a notch above.

Couple of edits.

I'd remove some of the guys that have had a season in the NHL (Laughton, Prov, Ghost). Seems like they're in a different category than Rubstov, Bunnaman, Allison, etc.

To the actual spread sheet- it gets a little long horizontally, but the stats make it seem like they're for the team drafted from. Possibly include a Current team column before the stats that they apply to.

Where the different leagues are listed, and it says PPG below them, I'd scratch the PPG, and use it as a radio button-eque marker (fill the box with an X) as to which league the stats/current team are associated with.

For the undrafted guys, include the year they first signed with the Flyers, for context purposes.

And I'd remove Dove-McFalls, cause he didn't sign his contract and is no longer Flyers (potential) property.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Frederic Larsson isn't Flyers property anymore. You could take out Jesper Pettersson too. He's headed back to Sweden as his ELC expired with the Flyers.

I'd put Laberge as a RW too.

HighOFFHockey

Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Very cool. Obviously a labor of love, and the attention to detail is impressive. It's clean and very readable, good use of color, font size changes, bold, and the hyper links are a notch above.

Couple of edits.

I'd remove some of the guys that have had a season in the NHL (Laughton, Prov, Ghost). Seems like they're in a different category than Rubstov, Bunnaman, Allison, etc.

To the actual spread sheet- it gets a little long horizontally, but the stats make it seem like they're for the team drafted from. Possibly include a Current team column before the stats that they apply to.

Where the different leagues are listed, and it says PPG below them, I'd scratch the PPG, and use it as a radio button-eque marker (fill the box with an X) as to which league the stats/current team are associated with.

For the undrafted guys, include the year they first signed with the Flyers, for context purposes.

And I'd remove Dove-McFalls, cause he didn't sign his contract and is no longer Flyers (potential) property.

Thanks, guys! Yeah totally geeking out. I'm hoping to actually podcast/youtube just talking about Flyers News/Prospects, but that's a phase 2.

Some awesome feedback. I actually am aware of the situations with all of the players, but maybe there is a way to indicate that they are no longer with the team on the sheet. Possibly a gray out? - I think it's important to see the failures in the draft and how they didn't pan out.

Also, a great point of them being on a different level, I wanted a way to show that, maybe I separate them by creating a split with the categories.

I'm gonna continue to edit.

PS: I'm itching to add others in a few weeks. Ranking them will be interesting...

EDIT: Document has some updates already. I will continue.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Donnellon is utterly clueless.

Travis Sanheim, their 2014 first-round pick, chosen before St. Louis center Robert Fabbri (37 and 29 points, respectively, in two seasons) and Bruins winger David Pastrnak (34 goals, 36 assists this season), has been slow to develop.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I've stopped reading many of the local journalist stories about any of the sports teams. They are mostly bad. In the exception, it's often mentioned either here, or somewhere like broadstreetbullies.com or crossingbroad.com. At least those clicks aren't fueling bad coverage. I miss Frank Sevaralli, which is something I never really thought I'd say...

HighOFFHockey

Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
I've stopped reading many of the local journalist stories about any of the sports teams. They are mostly bad. In the exception, it's often mentioned either here, or somewhere like broadstreetbullies.com or crossingbroad.com. At least those clicks aren't fueling bad coverage. I miss Frank Sevaralli, which is something I never really thought I'd say...

Yeah, 100% agree. However, I am very loyal to Bill Meltzer, to me, he's the best. He doesn't speculate, he doesn't create drama, he knows his ****, and he's just awesome. I'll keep reading him until he stops.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ

While there certainly are studies that fly in the face of each other -- in general science makes real progress. I just hope you aren't arguing for "study relativism."

As an aside and in general, you can trust a neuro-cog study done well over say, a social science study done well. The edges are less blurry. There are really strong stat lines that can be run, confidence intervals, etc. I love the social sciences, but some of the studies (and proposals) that I bump into, are questionable. I really enjoy experimental politics (using studies to inform policy--re: does this policy work, does the math support it, would it work in this part of the country, or not) over traditional politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad