Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. (Jan.-Feb. edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Bunnaman's on NHL Network tonight at 7 in the States. They're playing London who has some good draft eligibles to watch as well.

Laczynski is on the Big Ten Network at 8.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
Nowhere have I claimed to know anything about concussions other than that the extent of the damage isn't fully understood and measurable. If you'd like to provide me with some clinical proof otherwise, please do. I'm sure that if it exists, someone like yourself will be able to find it for us others, thanks in advance.

Alternatively, if you'd like to carry on clamoring about how the doctor's ARE exact about concussions, when every last one of them will OPENLY STATE THAT THEY'RE NOT.... then by all means, carry on

And as a result of doctors openly stating that they're not exact about concussions, you don't think they're already playing it extremely cautious? You can bet that if a medical professional is putting a player back on the ice in this day in age, it's because he's extremely confident that it will not be detrimental to the player.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
And as a result of doctors openly stating that they're not exact about concussions, you don't think they're already playing it extremely cautious? You can bet that if a medical professional is putting a player back on the ice in this day in age, it's because he's extremely confident that it will not be detrimental to the player.

You for sure can assume that. The problem is that because of the lack of exactness, most of the cases can only be evaluated to a certain point and thereafter comes down to professional opinion--which is arguably inconsistent and open to manipulation. Thats the big problem when clinical testing hasn't achieved precision yet. I would like to think that doctors are therefore already being extra cautious, but history continues to show they're not. If they had accepted proven and exact ways to do this all, leagues like the NFL and NHL likely wouldn't be facing so many lawsuits on the topic based on complete failure of proceeding with head injuries.

Let me just once again state clearly that I'm not trying to argue. I'm just doing what I can to point out the facts and lack thereof regarding concussions. I'm also inviting either side of the opinion to provide clinical data regarding it. Though it appears that neither side may be proven correct at this point - I can still say that choice of caution, based on logic, gives me the best position of reasonability and sensibility regarding the brain health of teenaged athletes.

It's an interesting topic and the human brain is often said to be the final frontier of science. Allow individuals to remain cautious about that which isn't understood by science instead of bashing their opinions and calling them fake doctors, especially when the opposite side of opinion is much closer to that.

I know that reasonable discussion doesn't generally occur on this board like it used to and that it's mostly noobs just lipping around but at least there are plently of posters left who are mature enough to hold opinions without trying to tear down others.

Edit: That being said, here's an interesting link to a new Canadian development in the diagnoses of concussions.....

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/canadian-made-blood-test-for-concussions-could-radically-simplify-diagnosis-1.3223579

Major advancement that's showing to be the most effective means of measurement to this point.

Parker Smith:
"The blood test could have helped me tremendously because I returned to play prior to when I should have, maybe a couple of weeks to soon, but we didn't know that because I was feeling ok, I was skating, I was working out, and everything was going ok for me, but my brain really wasn't ready to get hit again so if they could have determined that using my blood, that could have saved my hockey career....."
"Any young athletes, please just be very careful and dont just take this lightly because its a very severe injury and even though you cant see it, it can do a lot of damage so just be careful, take the extra precaution, I know you're gonna be itching to get back and play but take an extra couple of weeks and really make sure your brains healed"

"The advantages are it takes away the guessing. So right away we would know if somebody has truly had a concussion,”
"Its not 'how sick do you feel on a scale of 1 to 10'. Its, we take a vial of blood, we do the work in the lab, we run it through the mathematics, and it tells us 'very likely not to be concussed' or 'very likely not concussed."
"The test may also help doctors determine the severity of the concussions and track someones recovery"

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Nowhere have I claimed to know anything about concussions other than that the extent of the damage isn't fully understood and measurable. If you'd like to provide me with some clinical proof otherwise, please do. I'm sure that if it exists, someone like yourself will be able to find it for us others, thanks in advance.

Alternatively, if you'd like to carry on clamoring about how the doctor's ARE exact about concussions, when every last one of them will OPENLY STATE THAT THEY'RE NOT.... then by all means, carry on

Quote where's I said doctors are exact about concussions. I'll wait.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

d91889ae4cfc892326e6a4ccb13da462.gif

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Quote where's I said doctors are exact about concussions. I'll wait.

I wouldnt need an exact quote because your posts imply exactly that --- and if I'm wrong and you're actually saying that you don't think they're exactly right, then it's completely illogical of you to to agree with their exact timelines and not err on the side of caution.

I've edited my above post to include a very pertinent link with quotes.

Parker Smith:
"The blood test could have helped me tremendously because I returned to play prior to when I should have, maybe a couple of weeks to soon, but we didn't know that because I was feeling ok, I was skating, I was working out, and everything was going ok for me, but my brain really wasn't ready to get hit again so if they could have determined that using my blood, that could have saved my hockey career....."

It can't be put any simpler than that for you, I sincerely apologize.

Last edited by a moderator:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I wouldnt need an exact quote because your posts imply exactly that --- and if I'm wrong and you're actually saying that you don't think they're exactly right, then it's completely illogical of you to to agree with their exact timelines and not err on the side of caution.

I've edited my above post to include a very pertinent link with quotes.

Parker Smith:

It can't be put any simpler than that for you, I sincerely apologize.

That's not at all what my posts imply.

What I've said is that the doctors make up a timeline for the player and, since they know that concussions aren't a exact science, is logical to assume that they err on the side of caution and hold the player out an appropriate amount of time. They don't just go "oh you don't have headaches anymore? Ok you can play tomorrow". They set up a timeline as best they can so that the player is as safe as can be, short of completely shutting them down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Also, the little jabs you keep trying to take don't work on me. I'm immune to flaming on the internet. ;)

There's an equal chance of you getting me angry by sending me an envelope full of money. :laugh:

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Also, the little jabs you keep trying to take don't work on me. I'm immune to flaming on the internet. ;)

There's an equal chance of you getting me angry by sending me an envelope full of money. :laugh:

Well fine of you to feel compelled to write a separate post about it, but I simply don't care if it bothers you or not when people speak back to you in similar fashion that you speak to everyone and it's not more than that.

Regarding the concussion topic though, looks like it's been discussed.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Bottom line when hockey players get a concussions they do not come to Philadelphia for treatment. So you can't blame fans for wanting players to take a long time off to avoid serious injury. Flyers and concussion mistreatment have some legit history, Lindros, Primeau, Lappy, Pronger.. etc .
Ultimate as Flyers fans, we are all on the same team so shutting down talented d-man after such injuries is not such a bad plan.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Goal Sanheim. Shifty move on the blue line to create a lane, then it gets through traffic.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I can't edit posts because of an infraction, that's why it's separate.

And I only speak to people in that fashion when people say dumb ****. If I use it towards you then...

Well considering the way this conversation has unfolded, that's really not saying much. As I said though, Striiker, the discussions done between us, it came around full circle and we can just carry on.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well considering the way this conversation has unfolded, that's really not saying much. As I said though, Striiker, the discussions done between us it came around full circle and we can just carry on.

That's fine, we can agree to disagree here. Nothing personal. :)

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Watching Rubtsov and the announcer is French. Does make it a little more difficult to follow. Can clearly hear Rubtsov though.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Watching Rubtsov and the announcer is French. Does make it a little more difficult to follow. Can clearly hear Rubtsov though.

I can follow most of it pretty easily as I suffered through the life of growing up as a french immersion student on the West Coast. That being said, I really don't like the language itself or the accent. But my main complaint about this broadcaster is that he constantly changes the perspective in which he's describing the left and right sides of the ice, then randomly apologizes when he does it once in a while. I'd prefer not to understand him at all. "Rubtsov" and the number 17 are all you need.

He had a nice end to end play on that PP and nearly scored off of it.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I can follow most of it pretty easily as I suffered through the life of growing up as a french immersion student on the West Coast. That being said, I really don't like the language itself or the accent. But my main complaint about this broadcaster is that he constantly changes the perspective in which he's describing the left and right sides of the ice, then randomly apologizes when he does it once in a while. I'd prefer not to understand him at all. "Rubtsov" and the number 17 are all you need.

He had a nice end to end play on that PP and nearly scored off of it.

I think I know what you are talking about. I turned away from the computer and he was screaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad