Phaneuf Signs with Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Quite a while ago after watching Phanuef in back to back games, I made a post that stated that Phanuef would be with the Flames next year. Most disagreed, but if this season ever gets underway, Dion will be a Flame. He is too good not to. I would say that he is more ready to play in the NHL than Jay Bauwmeester was at his age. In my opinon he has less upside, but is ready for the NHL now.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Why are all these teams signing these prospects the day the lockout is announced? Wouldn't it make more sense to wait for the new cba to be determined?

Jagrock

May 24, 2002
Visit site
I think that with the uncertainty of not knowing whats ahead, what happens if you dont sign a top prospect and then a new CBA comes out where the unsigned guy falls into a new category where he can re enter the draft or something crazy like that. The Flames would freak. Conversly if the player doesnt sign and a rookie salary cap comes into play, that could screw the top prospect out of money. This way, no matter what, the both know what there getting and any deal under the old CBA can be Grandfathered. Just my amateur opinion on the matter. :D

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Wow, the Flames defense now looks like the following for the next NHL season.

#1 Leopold - Regher (that is forsure top line pair)

#2a - Phaneuf - Warrener (not a forsure pairing)

#2b - Lydman - Ference (not a forsure pairing but played last season together)

Extras: Montador, Commodore

That means the Flames now have 8 NHL defenseman which leads to the suspiction one will be traded for a pick or part of another package. Does Sutter have another move waiting for next year?

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Jagrock is close on a couple fronts. Here's more reasons why:

*From the management perspective, teams won't do any work during a lockout. If the June 1 deadline passes and the Flames didn't have a deal in place for Phaneuf, he could re-enter the draft. (Trust me, an arbitrator would rule in favor of the player, because it's a lockout. If it was a strike, the arbitrator would likely side with management. To lose a player of his calibre and get a compensatory second round pick would be a disaster.
*From the player's perspective, the current entry level salary will likely remain close to the same. The difference will be bonuses. You won't see any of the ridiculous bonuses that have been tossed around the last seven years. So if Phaneuf wants to cash in on those, he had to sign before the lockout.

Therefore, there are incentives for both sides to get the deal done.

habsfansam

Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere dark...?
One other reason for signing top prospects right now is that the level of play in the AHL should be very good this year, and for all those junior stars who have nothing to prove it's a great option in terms of development. All the kids who can be sent down from the NHL will be... Spezza and Komisarek for example... and the top junior stars ... Locke, Phaneuf, etc... will all be signed for the reasons mentioned by others and because it's a year playing better players at a fraction of the cost of bringing those guys into the NHL or risking losing them.

I really believe that the AHL will be great to watch this year and with all these signings, it's only getting better.

Best of luck to Phaneuf as he makes the step up.

Super-Rye

Jul 4, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Yellowcard said:
Why are all these teams signing these prospects the day the lockout is announced? Wouldn't it make more sense to wait for the new cba to be determined?

Depending on what the terms of the new CBA were, and when it gets installed, Phaneuf may have re-entered the draft. Better safe than sorry.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Yellowcard said:

The new CBA might not apply to players drafted in the old one as far as entry level compensation goes.

gretzky99

I love dion's play, although don't get ahead of yourselves. Its not like he has made it at the NHL level yet. IE) Bryan Allen.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
gretzky99 said:
I love dion's play, although don't get ahead of yourselves. Its not like he has made it at the NHL level yet. IE) Bryan Allen.

Allen CANNOT even be compared to Dion in terms on hsi skill or game.

Dion at the same age of Allen is >>> than Allen. VERY bad comparison.

db23

habsfansam said:
One other reason for signing top prospects right now is that the level of play in the AHL should be very good this year, and for all those junior stars who have nothing to prove it's a great option in terms of development. All the kids who can be sent down from the NHL will be... Spezza and Komisarek for example... and the top junior stars ... Locke, Phaneuf, etc... will all be signed for the reasons mentioned by others and because it's a year playing better players at a fraction of the cost of bringing those guys into the NHL or risking losing them.

I really believe that the AHL will be great to watch this year and with all these signings, it's only getting better.

Phaneuf isn't eligible to play in the AHL.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
I *should* remind you that Allen went #4 overall in a very deep 98' draft.

That doesn't mean he's anywhere near Phaneuf's ability at the same age. Phaneuf is much more highly thought of by hockey people going into his 19 year old year than Allen was.

And 2003 looks a lot deeper than '98. The reason '98 looks so deep is that a lot of teams in the first half of the first round picked more poorly than the a lot of the teams in the second on half of the first round.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
habsfansam said:

Phaneuf is too young to go to the AHL. He'll be playing in Red Deer again for the Rebels and for Canada at the World Juniors.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Flames Draft Watcher said:
The new CBA might not apply to players drafted in the old one as far as entry level compensation goes.

That's correct, players drafted under this CBA will continue to be governed by it's rules. It can't be retroactively changed. Any new rookie salary cap will be imposed on players drafted after the new CBA is signed, as was the case in 1994-95. The motivation for players to sign before a new CBA is that there is going to be some form of team salary cap and rookie contracts, whether under the old or new system, will have to fit into it. They could reenter the draft or become UFA's under the old system, but in that case they'll have to be signed under the new CBA which will surely have lower entry level salaries. The motivation for teams is simply that they don't want to lose their top prospects.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
God Bless Canada said:
*From the management perspective, teams won't do any work during a lockout. If the June 1 deadline passes and the Flames didn't have a deal in place for Phaneuf, he could re-enter the draft. (Trust me, an arbitrator would rule in favor of the player, because it's a lockout. If it was a strike, the arbitrator would likely side with management.

It wouldn't matter whether it was a lockout or a strike. These players aren't members of the NHLPA. They're innocent 3rd parties who entered the draft under the terms of this CBA. They agreed to be drafted under the CBA as it was written, not as it might be written later. The cause of the work stoppage has no bearing on legality, and hence none on the ruling. Since these players do not belong to the NHLPA, it would not be subject to arbitration without their consent. Arbitration would only apply to those who expressly consented, and it wouldn't be binding. I have no doubt it would end up in court, and if a decision wasn't reached before the next draft, those players would be declared UFA's.

vb

Mar 4, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
Wow, the Flames defense now looks like the following for the next NHL season.

#1 Leopold - Regher (that is forsure top line pair)

#2a - Phaneuf - Warrener (not a forsure pairing)

#2b - Lydman - Ference (not a forsure pairing but played last season together)

Extras: Montador, Commodore

That means the Flames now have 8 NHL defenseman which leads to the suspiction one will be traded for a pick or part of another package. Does Sutter have another move waiting for next year?

Looks like a lot of potential, but not a lot of experience. Kiprusoff will have his work cut out for him this year.

XxPhaneufxX

Jul 1, 2004
vb said:
Looks like a lot of potential, but not a lot of experience. Kiprusoff will have his work cut out for him this year.

How will kipper have his work cut out for him when the proposed defence switches ONLY phaneuf for gauthier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad