Phaneuf Signs with Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Seachd said:
Don't forget talent and numbers.
Oh ya, don't forget the small frame, ineffectiveness in his own end. That also seperates them. :joker:

Should I bring up attitude problem? Nah, that will send you off the deep end.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
MrMastodonFarm said:
Oh ya, don't forget the small frame, ineffectiveness in his own end. That also seperates them. :joker:

Should I bring up attitude problem? Nah, that will send you off the deep end.
Umm... You're bringing up size? Boyd's about an inch taller and ten pounds lighter than Schremp. Maybe you thought Schremp was smaller than he actually is? Or that Boyd was bigger?

And I think you meant "attitude problem". I mean, yeah, those players that are first on the ice for practice and the last ones to leave obviously have no dedication to the game at all.

Anyway, I still haven't really heard any examples of these problems, and I doubt you could be the first to do that.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Seachd said:
Umm... You're bringing up size? Boyd's about an inch taller and ten pounds lighter than Schremp. Maybe you thought Schremp was smaller than he actually is? Or that Boyd was bigger?
Thought Boyd was bigger, he sure plays like a bigger guy though, its great! Schremp could learn a thing or two about how to do that then. :)

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Seachd said:
Anyway, I still haven't really heard any examples of these problems, and I doubt you could be the first to do that.
Nope, I don't know the guy personally so I can't comment on his attitude problem. Can you?

Although, where there is smoke, there is a fire. The attitude problem speculation didn't start as some internet rumour from fark.com, something is behind it. It wasn't fabricated from thin air.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
It'll be interesting to see how well Phaneuf does offensively. His junior team really lacked quality forwards for him.

vb

Mar 4, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:
Well, thankfully everyone else in the hockey world does.

Well this has gone fairly off track hasn't it :)

Phaneuf looks like he'll be player, but these prospects rankings change so quickly I wouldn't rely on them too much. For last year's draft the rankings were Cobourn, Phaneuf, Suter, at the draft it went, Suter, Coburn, Phaneuf, and now the "hockey world" says Phaneuf, Suter, Coburn according to you.

I'm pessimistic to say the least.

As for the Flames overall core, they do have potential and some balance, but I can't see them becoming a premier core. If every teams young defeceman pan out, I would give the edge to Phoenix or Florida or Nashville or...

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
vb said:
Well this has gone fairly off track hasn't it :)

Phaneuf looks like he'll be player, but these prospects rankings change so quickly I wouldn't rely on them too much. For last year's draft the rankings were Cobourn, Phaneuf, Suter, at the draft it went, Suter, Coburn, Phaneuf, and now the "hockey world" says Phaneuf, Suter, Coburn according to you.

I'm pessimistic to say the least.

As for the Flames overall core, they do have potential and some balance, but I can't see them becoming a premier core. If every teams young defeceman pan out, I would give the edge to Phoenix or Florida or Nashville or...

The only thing the Flames core of guys like Leopold and regher are young and have panned out. The NHL is already witnessing their skill and there is no "I wonder" if they will make it in the NHL like many prospects that haven't played in the NHL yet.

XxPhaneufxX

Jul 1, 2004
Great start for phaneuf, even though it was at the cost of the hitmen.

2 goals, 1 assist on the winner, and first star. :yo:

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
XxPhaneufxX said:
Great start for phaneuf, even though it was at the cost of the hitmen.

2 goals, 1 assist on the winner, and first star. :yo:

I was excited about that too... what was his +/-?

XxPhaneufxX

Jul 1, 2004
chriss_co said:
I was excited about that too... what was his +/-?

He was a +1 for the night.

Cant wait to see him in a flames jersey. :handclap:

Kris Hogg also had a pretty good night, even though the blazers lost. 2a and +1 in his first game.

Last edited:

Velouria

Sep 23, 2004
one goal in game two........the guy is amazing

If they did the 2003 draft today, he would go number one overall, no doubt

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Velouria said:

Most likely not, but he probably would improve on 9th.

the-rasta-masta

Jul 14, 2002
calgary
Visit site
Seachd said:
Most likely not, but he probably would improve on 9th.

Why don't you (along with vb) take off your copper colored glasses and try to stop your blatant bias on this matter. It's pretty obvious the only reason you too are bashing Phaneuf is because he is Flames property.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
the-rasta-masta said:
Why don't you (along with vb) take off your copper colored glasses and try to stop your blatant bias on this matter. It's pretty obvious the only reason you too are bashing Phaneuf is because he is Flames property.
When did I bash Phaneuf? If you're able to, please show me. Besides, being a Rebels fan, I don't really have any reason to.

the-rasta-masta

Jul 14, 2002
calgary
Visit site
vb said:
If he can't make the play at the most crucial time of his career til now, when is he going to make it?

Will Sutter play him in the situation again? Would you?

How about when he played the rest of the playoffs for more than 20 mins a night?

Did you notice that he has only been in the league for 1 and a half years, and every young player makes mistakes.

Leopold made a mistake. Remember Steve Smith? Quite possibly one of the biggest gaffs of all time, and develloped into a fine player, certainly no slouch. Or what about Patrick Roy, when he dropped the puck out of his glove when he was showboating in game 7 a few years back. The best goalie of all time made mistakes too.... :shakehead

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
the-rasta-masta said:
How did Seachd bash Phaneuf? I don't think it's that far a stretch to say that at least Fleury (and possibly a few more guys) would have still been drafted ahead of Phaneuf. Granted he's had a great start to the season but that doesn't suddenly make him the greatest thing since miracle whip...

XxPhaneufxX

Jul 1, 2004
Wow, I know they are oiler fans, but I do agree with the fact that he would not be #1. I personally think he would be a top 4 if the draft was redone.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
XxPhaneufxX said:
Wow, I know they are oiler fans, but I do agree with the fact that he would not be #1. I personally think he would be a top 4 if the draft was redone.
Agreed... there is definitely a strong chance that Phaneuf would go in the top 4 if the draft was held again today. It's ironic that a guy with Phaneuf in his name is the one to point this out... ;)

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Velouria said:

I would have taken quite a few ahead of Phaneuf, even in hindsight.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Jacobv2 said:
I would have taken quite a few ahead of Phaneuf, even in hindsight.
Just curious, who would you have taken? I would have definitely taken a few ahead of Phaneuf but I can't think of many I'd rank ahead of him...

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Cerebral said:
Just curious, who would you have taken? I would have definitely taken a few ahead of Phaneuf but I can't think of many I'd rank ahead of him...

I think it honestly depends on the teams need. Such as if Florida was drafted 1st they wouldn't have taken another goalie. They would have most likely taken a top #1 defenseman, etc. Or for the Flames a player like Staal. All I know is the Flames future defense core looks mighty strong with Phaneuf added.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
the-rasta-masta said:

Way to overreact buddy. All he said is he wouldn't take him #1 in 2003. I probably wouldn't either. Guys I'd probably take ahead of him are Staal, Horton and Fleury.

XxPhaneufxX

Jul 1, 2004
Cerebral said:

I'd go with fleury, horton and staal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad