Post-Game Talk: PGT: Rangers vs Flyers 11/29/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Both Sekera and Staal are UFA's this summer. There's no guaranteeing that Sekera would want to come back or even that the Rangers with all their other free agents would have enough $'s left to re-sign him. IMO Stepan is the guy above all others we have to bring back and it will be real hard for the team to walk away from St. Louis after all the trouble they went to get him. And then there is Zucc (who took a discount) and Hags.

If we're moving Staal without risking outright losing whatever value he has for the future we're moving him for more manageable contracts. That would allow us more flexibility as far as keeping all the other free agents instead of like last summer when we watched Stralman, Boyle and Pouliot walk away.

Who would replace Staal then would be Hunwick or Moore--which isn't all that appetizing but they're both decent NHL'ers.

With Skjei coming and Allen (who I still maintain can be a quite capable 3rd pair defender) in HFD, I think you do need to move him - but for futures, as you said. There's simply not enough room under the cap, and we MUST lock up Stepan and at least one, if not both, of StL and Zucc.

Stepanstones*

So....what about that toughness discussion from before yesterday's game?

Why don't those who commented on that yesterday come out of the woodwork?

I didn't comment on it, but I really wouldn't boast over one game against an extremely poor flyers team.

Stepanstones*

What about the decades that have nothing to do with tonight when the Flyers were a very tough team?

What about it? I clearly didn't read the thread lol but I was assuming it was saying that toughness was overrated blah blah blah

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
OK I'll give it a shot my comment yesterday was how disappointed I am with our most hated rivals the lack of passion and dislike for each other it's totally gone...The flyers games in the past were my all time favorite because chances are it would be filled with bad blood and physical play but those days are clearly gone....
The flyers are no longer imposing and are clearly a mess..The NHL IMHO is so watered down it is barely hockey the players today would rather dive than throw a monster hit...The hip check is a lost art its all stick checks now and stupid corsi numbers and possession charts....Again I don't expect a bunch of young guys to understand because we grew up on different brands of hockey I would take my era over this 10 out of 10....I have also said when we play a very fast puck possession team we should sit Glass and go with what we did today...I have no problem with that its the new NHL I don't have to love it but it is what it is I will never stop watching

So....what about that toughness discussion from before yesterday's game?

Why don't those who commented on that yesterday come out of the woodwork?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
With Skjei coming and Allen (who I still maintain can be a quite capable 3rd pair defender) in HFD, I think you do need to move him - but for futures, as you said. There's simply not enough room under the cap, and we MUST lock up Stepan and at least one, if not both, of StL and Zucc.

That's pretty much where I'm at with my argument. It's not that Sekera wouldn't be a good addition for the short term--it's just like as in Staal's case the guy is going to make a lot of money this summer. Stepan is the big deal. He is our best center and an all situations player. We'll probably sign him either way but giving Staal/Sekera what they would get on the open market will almost certainly mean one of Zucc/St. Louis aren't coming back and it might mean both won't be back.

The Rangers are set on the right side for next year. They'll be set on the left side if Hunwick comes back (or someone similar) and Skjei or Allen can make the team--and I expect that Skjei is going to be a good player for years. We'll have the assets then too from moving Staal instead of a player who we won't be able to afford to keep--Staal/Sekera.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
OK I'll give it a shot my comment yesterday was how disappointed I am with our most hated rivals the lack of passion and dislike for each other it's totally gone...The flyers games in the past were my all time favorite because chances are it would be filled with bad blood and physical play but those days are clearly gone....
The flyers are no longer imposing and are clearly a mess..The NHL IMHO is so watered down it is barely hockey the players today would rather dive than throw a monster hit...The hip check is a lost art its all stick checks now and stupid corsi numbers and possession charts....Again I don't expect a bunch of young guys to understand because we grew up on different brands of hockey I would take my era over this 10 out of 10....I have also said when we play a very fast puck possession team we should sit Glass and go with what we did today...I have no problem with that its the new NHL I don't have to love it but it is what it is I will never stop watching

I miss a lot of that as well. The game is changing--and things change not always in the way that you would like. Better IMO to accept it and move on. Between rule changes and the so-called code a lot of the physical guys who used to fight marginalized their impact on the game itself. It's become most important even for those guys who still are willing to drop them that they can skate and play the game. The big hulking brutes that specialized in one thing had their 6-7-8 years in the limelight and are disappearing now like the dinosaurs. Guys like Lucic and Simmonds are good players. Guys like Prust find ways to be useful.

As far as the two Flyer games we just played I thought the game in Philly was actually really good. We pushed the pace on them all night long--the speed and puck movement--our forecheck and neutral zone game were almost clinical--forcing the Flyers to cough up the puck repeatedly.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
1782322_985207924828427_7299962003961431269_o.jpg

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Important reminder about our advertising policy:

Posting or private messaging to sell, buy, or trade products or services, links to auctions, affiliate links, links to promote personal or commercial websites, blogs, personal YT channels, other forums and so forth is not allowed anywhere without explicit permission. Abuse of the PM system is based on member complaints. The only exception is moderator approved ticket exchange threads. If you have a website or business, you may include the link to your site in your signature ONLY. Signatures are only provided to Sponsors and Staff. Links to other forums or to incentive-based promotions may NOT be included in signatures. Unsolicited advertising may result in a permanent ban and your site being blacklisted. While we encourage posters to cite sources and articles with links to websites, they are not to be posted by members with a vested interest in bringing traffic to those sites. In other words, if you work for a site (paid or not), do not post links to its articles. Photos and photo galleries are not subject to this restriction. If you wish to advertise on HFBoards or Hockey's Future please contact [email protected].
Sites that do not have forums are advised to check out our Partners program. There is a link for it in the bottom navigation bar.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
JVR and Matt Carle

Alright I figured one was JVR, but had no idea what Carle looked like. Kind of surprised not to see Giroux in that picture. Kind of crazy the overturn out roster has had over the years. Only Hank G and Staal are left from pretorts.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Didn't see the game yesterday but I was able to listen to most of it on Sirius while driving back. Seemed like after the Fast goal we just dominated Philly. How did Miller look?

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Didn't see the game yesterday but I was able to listen to most of it on Sirius while driving back. Seemed like after the Fast goal we just dominated Philly. How did Miller look?

Really good. Had a ton of chances before he converted on a wraparound. Was easily one of the more noticeable players yesterday.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Really good. Had a ton of chances before he converted on a wraparound. Was easily one of the more noticeable players yesterday.

The whole fourth line as a whole looked great... After fast scored I think the only players that weren't dominating play was the Stepan line with Hagelin and St. Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad