Status
Not open for further replies.

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
11h89s6.jpg

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
You get taught as a mini-mite, the refs always call the retaliation. The fact that he was cross checked first doesn't excuse the dumbness of his penalty.

Normally agree, but not this game. The only thing they were really calling all game were blatant high sticks. They pretty much let everything else go, a flat ton. Easily could have called Philly for 15 minors this game. We got away with a lot, too. The call on Zucc was completely selective. I don't mind if they call everything or call nothing, just do it both ways, all game.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Said he saw some quick plays offensive production out of it... I don't think it gets broekn up against tampa

Staal is a UFA too... who are you expecting to play the 2nd pair? I'm advocating that Sekera outright replaces Staal this year and next

I also think McIlrath ends up being the 7th defenseman next year with the issue of waivers coming into play

Both Sekera and Staal are UFA's this summer. There's no guaranteeing that Sekera would want to come back or even that the Rangers with all their other free agents would have enough $'s left to re-sign him. IMO Stepan is the guy above all others we have to bring back and it will be real hard for the team to walk away from St. Louis after all the trouble they went to get him. And then there is Zucc (who took a discount) and Hags.

If we're moving Staal without risking outright losing whatever value he has for the future we're moving him for more manageable contracts. That would allow us more flexibility as far as keeping all the other free agents instead of like last summer when we watched Stralman, Boyle and Pouliot walk away.

Who would replace Staal then would be Hunwick or Moore--which isn't all that appetizing but they're both decent NHL'ers.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Both Sekera and Staal are UFA's this summer. There's no guaranteeing that Sekera would want to come back or even that the Rangers with all their other free agents would have enough $'s left to re-sign him. IMO Stepan is the guy above all others we have to bring back and it will be real hard for the team to walk away from St. Louis after all the trouble they went to get him. And then there is Zucc (who took a discount) and Hags.

If we're moving Staal without risking outright losing whatever value he has for the future we're moving him for more manageable contracts. That would allow us more flexibility as far as keeping all the other free agents instead of like last summer when we watched Stralman, Boyle and Pouliot walk away.

Who would replace Staal then would be Hunwick or Moore--which isn't all that appetizing but they're both decent NHL'ers.

then it's going to have to be a fleecing trade or a low buy Dman...

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Neither Girardi nor Staal went over 20 minutes tonight. Only McDonagh, MSL, and Brassard.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Zucc was terrible let's be fair here

Playing with 2 of our best players rigjt now and he's finding a way NOt to produce.

Thought he was our worst player today easily. Followed Prob by MSL who took the night off

Did you see the chance barrage in the 2nd period of were you watching some other game ? Youre not even remotely serious

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
It wasn't even this game, but I STILL can't stop watching the Nash SHG from last night :laugh:.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
That little discussion by Dave and Anson about the players needing to do something about Callahan's rubbing their noses in it with all his success was worth its weight in Gold. That had to be said out loud in clear terms, even if it was not about this game but the next one.
A valuable public service announcement, one I hope the team hears and takes to heart.

I honestly don't really see it that way.

As much as it's hard to realize during this point of the year, the regular season stops mattering when you make the playoffs. This is all to set up the playoffs. The entire season happens in order for each team to try to win the cup, not win a single game, not win against a specific player, not win out against a specific team in the regular season series.

And in the playoffs, which this is all simply a lead up to, MSL helped push the Rangers to the finals, and Callahan went pointless while his team got swept. Now, that's the past, yes. But frankly, so are the last two Tampa games. Until this year's playoffs, that's what the Rangers did in the post-season, and that's what the lightning did. One team fell just a tad short, and is back at it right now, and the other barely put up a fight as is thinking "well, this year we'll pull it off" just like they did last year.

I don't see Callahan scoring a few goals, some of which were pretty much tap-ins thanks to Stamkos, as rubbing anyone's nose in anything. His success this season in two games against the Rangers doesn't even begin to come close to the success that the Rangers and MSL had last year toward the actual end goal of all of this, and the spectacular failure that Callahan and his team had toward that goal.

If those were playoff games, god forbid, then, yes, people better perk up and find a way to get pissed off about it. But honestly, it's not that big a deal in my eyes that he's done well in two regular season games against the Rangers, especially considering that he's playing with Stamkos. Stammer and his line mates are going to score if you play TB enough. Worry about the Xs and Os of analyzing and preventing that, don't get all emotional about an ex-Ranger being the last one to touch the puck before it goes in during the regular season.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
I honestly don't really see it that way.

As much as it's hard to realize during this point of the year, the regular season stops mattering when you make the playoffs. This is all to set up the playoffs. The entire season happens in order for each team to try to win the cup, not win a single game, not win against a specific player, not win out against a specific team in the regular season series.

And in the playoffs, which this is all simply a lead up to, MSL helped push the Rangers to the finals, and Callahan went pointless while his team got swept. Now, that's the past, yes. But frankly, so are the last two Tampa games. Until this year's playoffs, that's what the Rangers did in the post-season, and that's what the lightning did. One team fell just a tad short, and is back at it right now, and the other barely put up a fight as is thinking "well, this year we'll pull it off" just like they did last year.

I don't see Callahan scoring a few goals, some of which were pretty much tap-ins thanks to Stamkos, as rubbing anyone's nose in anything. His success this season in two games against the Rangers doesn't even begin to come close to the success that the Rangers and MSL had last year toward the actual end goal of all of this, and the spectacular failure that Callahan and his team had toward that goal.

If those were playoff games, god forbid, then, yes, people better perk up and find a way to get pissed off about it. But honestly, it's not that big a deal in my eyes that he's done well in two regular season games against the Rangers, especially considering that he's playing with Stamkos. Stammer and his line mates are going to score if you play TB enough. Worry about the Xs and Os of analyzing and preventing that, don't get all emotional about an ex-Ranger being the last one to touch the puck before it goes in during the regular season.

I guess we do disagree. Differentiating between regular season and playoffs, well yes I can understand. However it is 2 points, and it would be great to get them.
Beyond that, I'm with Dave and Anson because I always found that using whatever you can to bring your game up another level in passion is good. I like the emotional side.
Callahan showed his emotion scoring against the Rangers, and I would welcome some emotion from the Rangers in making it much tougher for him. It's not a vendetta but recognition of what they let slide and forgot to do, and that by improving on that they increase their chance of getting 2 points.
I thought Callahan had way too much room, nobody was bothering him. He was loving it.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
I guess we do disagree. Differentiating between regular season and playoffs, well yes I can understand. However it is 2 points, and it would be great to get them.
Beyond that, I'm with Dave and Anson because I always found that using whatever you can to bring your game up another level in passion is good. I like the emotional side.
Callahan showed his emotion scoring against the Rangers, and I would welcome some emotion from the Rangers in making it much tougher for him. It's not a vendetta but recognition of what they let slide and forgot to do, and that by improving on that they increase their chance of getting 2 points.
I thought Callahan had way too much room, nobody was bothering him. He was loving it.

Staal was playing him pretty soft. Letting him set up in front of the net.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Missed the game but saw the highlights.

I'm glad AV put Miller and Fast together. Those two played in Hartford last year and had chemistry so it's nice to see them working together.

They could be the new Cally and Dubi if given the chance.

Hayes continues to produce.

No reason they shouldn't have won. They're a better team than the Flyers.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
So....what about that toughness discussion from before yesterday's game?

Why don't those who commented on that yesterday come out of the woodwork?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad