Pettersson vs Eichel

Who do you pick going forward?

• Total voters

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
EP is racking up points with little help from our defencemen.

Imagine when Quinn Hughes and Juolevi get inserted to the lineup and start feeding him breakout passes and one timers.

:popcorn:

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
That must be why Eichel only has 6 more points in 4 more games. Not to mention the overall team quality each player has. Once you also factor in Petterssons goal count it becomes a lost closer than you think.

It’s not as simple as points. All the guy talked about was chances created. Eichels line has hit 15-20 posts this season, he’s been apart of three goals that were challenged and deemed offside and he’s shot more then any player in the NHL this year. And it’s well below his shooting percentage.

Trust me this will be close one day, I watch both guys and Pettersen will make an incredible play per shift probably at the same rate if not better but as far as transition and offensive domination (time in the zone) chances created, it’s really not close when it comes to those things.

But because the media has ignored Eichel for years due to injury and playing on an awful team some Canuck fans in here actually think it’s a KNOCK on EP if someone votes Eichel because “the prodocution is similar”

Here’s a good example.

Eichel is slaughtering Mackinnons production at similair ages and even outscored Mackinnon in the same seasons twice (one time missing 20 games and still outscoring him) ...does that make Eichel better then mackinnon? So just because one is better at a certain point it doesent always follow the same formula. (If one we’re to just assume Elias is equal now so will be way better in two years, yeah....so will Eichel) and IMO even if I wasn’t a huge Eichel fan I would still say eichels better at the moment. EP looks a bit better at similar ages, and again it’s such a small sample size, have to wait this out...kids a stud though.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
I think this is too close to call and too early to say with EP. Eichels a stud.

That said, the narrative that EP has been invisible...where is this coming from? Even in games he didn’t score or didn’t have his best game he created unreal scoring chances with vision or did some flashy dangles. The term invisible does not belong in the same sentence as Pettersson.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
I go with Pettersson personally, because he's doing what he is doing with literally no help, aside from Boeser when he hasn't been hurt. They're both very comparable, and I expect them to be in the same tier throughout their careers; it's just that EP is 2 years younger and at this age it's a pretty big deal. It's very close though, anyone flaming others for choosing one over the other is out for lunch IMO.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
I take Jack. Leading the league in shots and is putting up lots of points so far. Eichel I think is being underrated around the league right now. This guy is a beast!

Reactions: BananaSquad

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
EP is racking up points with little help from our defencemen.

Imagine when Quinn Hughes and Juolevi get inserted to the lineup and start feeding him breakout passes and one timers.

:popcorn:
By then he will be done his ELC and making 12 million if he’s as good as Canuck fans say he is, so I would imagine th expectations would be at 40 goals 70 apples by then.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
By then he will be done his ELC and making 12 million if he’s as good as Canuck fans say he is, so I would imagine th expectations would be at 40 goals 70 apples by then.

...12 million is pretty reasonable, actually.

40 goals, 70 assists is unreasonable though. In a peak season, I can definitely see that but I'd expect him to be a 35g, 55a type of player throughout his career with an awesome two-way game to boot.

SteelerNation

Oct 23, 2012
Sad thing is Buffalo has tanked in the past for draft position, they don’t deserve nice things there. The Bills have engraved a culture of losing in Buffalo, it really is the new Cleveland. EP is already better offensively and defensively AINEC

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
Sad thing is Buffalo has tanked in the past for draft position, they don’t deserve nice things there. The Bills have engraved a culture of losing in Buffalo, it really is the new Cleveland. EP is already better offensively and defensively AINEC

I think we need to clarify for some posters what AINEC means.

Not even the most partisan Canucks or Sabre fans are making those arguments.

Reactions: Rasmi

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
5 games ago EP had 22 points in 27 games. Funny how timing is everything with these posts ain't it. Eichel better now and the future. Eichel is a 2 way superstar and is now a complete 2 way center.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
5 games ago EP had 22 points in 27 games. Funny how timing is everything with these posts ain't it. Eichel better now and the future. Eichel is a 2 way superstar and is now a complete 2 way center.

He has 27 games played right now. But 5 games ago...he still has 27 games played? Okay but he has 10 less points...

I think you should take a break from the internet for a bit.

Tony Stacks

Jan 30, 2012
Seattle
No... He didn't? 5 games ago he only played 22 games and he's always been ppg+. Weird that you have to make obviously blatantly false stats up to say one player's better.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Dyno

Feb 25, 2018
I think you need to check your math buddy. He has 32 points in 27 games pal.

Reactions: LeX4cavalier

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Pettersson has been invisible? Wtf. I've watched every game he's played, hes's never been invisible.

Even in his least impressive games this season he's still made some great plays. Its a garbage narrative.

This is blatant homerism, he was completely invisible from like October 12th to October 26th. That's like 2 weeks without a single point.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I go with Pettersson personally, because he's doing what he is doing with literally no help, aside from Boeser when he hasn't been hurt. They're both very comparable, and I expect them to be in the same tier throughout their careers; it's just that EP is 2 years younger and at this age it's a pretty big deal. It's very close though, anyone flaming others for choosing one over the other is out for lunch IMO.

This is a fair post, I expect them to be in the same tier too one day but keep in mind as far as “on his own goes”, that’s similar too...now that someone can actually finish his plays in skinner, his production has gone up slightly but even before him Eichel put up 121 pts in 128 games virtually no help at all. Evander Kane was his best linemate in that entire time and Kane only managed three goals and six points in 21 games off eichels line last year compared to the sixteen goals and thirty six points he had in 39 games with him.

I’ve seen all but four of Pettersens games I live in Kelowna by the way.

But anyway that’s why I can see both being in the same tier because they don’t rely on anyone. Skinner also had one goal in his first six games as a Sabre (not on eichels line) but since? 21 goals in 26 games. It’s ridiculous.

I shutter to think if either guy was a leaf how much nonsense there would be by the media.

I’ve admitted Pettersen looks like he has the iq of Eichel at the same age, maybe even better vision and definitely better defensive awareness at the same age (jack hasn’t vastly improved in this category this season)

Eichel has 16 multi point games, (the most of anyone not on Colorado) Petterson has 8. (And less
Games) EP also is beating jacks production at similar he’s for sure but it’s a smaller sample size , eichels now put up 159 in his last 159 which is worlds harder then 32 in 27, even if that’s more impressive due to age and everything in ways. But eichels also killing Mackinnons production at similar ages and how many people are saying Eichel Is better then Mackinnon?

Eichels just took his game to another level this year, I think he’s been as good as mcdavid. (THIS season anyway) I’ve never said that in the same sentence before (good as mcdavid for Eichel) but he’s making a case this season. Sabres fans hold him to a high standard though so if someone on our board says jack had a bad game that still would be a good or great game for anyone else in this team. I know buffalos record is good but other then his line, which he drives they really still don’t score much at all.

As for EP I want to see more, it’s been great though what I’ve seen, to say the least.

There is a lot of excitement about Canuck games being “watchable” again and with that comes high praise, and to me as a fan of both teams it’s hard when you know one team gets tons of spotlight (sabres fan in canada) I watched the media ignore Eichel for three years (and I sort of understand why) and he’s not alone, there are others but that’s what happens when you sprain your ankle twice and don’t end up in the top ten in scoring and miss the playoffs. (And don’t play for a Canadian team) he’s finished 11th and 21st in points per game the last two years even after suffering two high ankle sprains which have been known to linger months on end, and yet his production just keeps getting better and better.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoHorvat 53

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I think you need to check your math buddy. He has 32 points in 27 games pal.

I think what the guy meant to say was he scored ten points in two of those games (two five or nights) it’s a bit less because he got 22 pts in his other 25. (But screwed up and said 27 rather then 25) that doesent make those ten pts not ten pts but it does paint a bigger picture about consistency.

I think? I may be wrong but that’s how I interpreted it.

But consistency is a huge point here,I know EP is a rookie and his production is cray hit he has 8 multi point games, this year Eichel has 16 and as i view both guys and I know I can’t not come off biased being who I am, I’m telling you eichels looked more dangerous in the games he hasn’t scored.

I don’t know if that’s because he’s captain now or what but something has lit a fire in this guy on a nightly basis. He always had the talent but now the effort has just always been there every night. Not saying EPS game hasn’t been, it’s true even when he hasn’t scored he’s still making nice plays (cheech is sure to point them out each and every time ;) but honestly Eichel does the same thing, it’s just expected of him now after doing it for so long....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad