Pettersson vs Dahlin going forward

Who'll be better?

• Total voters

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
neutral in the sense that i strongly dislike both, but i'd take dahlin here quite easily.

if he was given an extra year of seasoning like pettersson had, this wouldnt even be a discussion

nothing against petey, arguably the nucks best pick in recent memory (and quite a change from previous #5 picks like virtanen and juolevi where they left significantly superior talent on the board)

This is a dumb post lol. EP is on pace for 90+ points as a 19/20 year old. So youre saying if Dahlin was given an extra season he would be so much better than that, that it wouldnt even be a discussion. Okay Dahlin better score 70 and win the Norris and Hart next year...

And thats assuming that EP has somehow Plateaued as a rookie who is 6'2 170 pounds.

Reactions: Sayonara77

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
The logic on here against EP is being used for Dahlin lol.

"X > EP because low sample size". First it was lol he has only played 5 games, then 15, then 25, now 35.

BUT...Dahlin??? Man if he had an extra year of seasoning he would be the GOAT.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
remind me when its common for anyone to suddenly put on signficant body weight at 20+ and i'm not talking about fat here. Practically everyone doesn't get anything other maybe an inch taller post 20s...the type of growth we are talking about here is comically low. He's going to be small no matter what at this point.
Uhh?

It's common to gain even 10 pounds of muscle just doing nothing.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Dahlin is surrounded by more talent and skill than EP is. EP played what 15 games with 3rd-4th liners (and barely 3rd pairing Dmen when edler n tanev was out) + 6 games missed due to concussion + an unusually tough scheduled roadtrip with key players out and a 9 games losing streak for the team + Boeser’s been very inconsistent after coming back. Still EP has 19 goals and 39 points and +12 in 35 games! That’s nothing short of sensational for anyone playing under those circumstances let alone for a 19/20 y o rookie! The sky is the limit and when I say sky I’m talking generational sky high.

Last edited:

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Dahlin is surrounded by more talent and skill than EP is. EP played what 15 games with 3rd-4th liners (and barely 3rd pairing Dmen when edler n tanev was out) + 6 games missed due to concussion + an unusually tough scheduled roadtrip with key players out and a 9 games losing streak for the team + Boeser’s been very inconsistent after coming back. Still EP has 19 goals and 39 points and +12 in 35 games! That’s nothing short of sensational for anyone playing under those circumstances let alone for a 19/20 y o rookie! The sky is the limit and when I say sky I’m talking generational sky high.
Dahlin gets to play with the great and the horribly bad players because he is playing top minutes as a defenseman....not even comparable really he only plays with "great players" when the first line is on the ice and even then the team isn't massively different than the one that finished last just a season ago...they gained Skinner, Sheary, but lost ROR the big difference on the team has been Dahlin himself and Skinner who is kind of negated by the fact that they lost ROR in the same offseason.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
This is a dumb post lol. EP is on pace for 90+ points as a 19/20 year old. So youre saying if Dahlin was given an extra season he would be so much better than that, that it wouldnt even be a discussion. Okay Dahlin better score 70 and win the Norris and Hart next year...

And thats assuming that EP has somehow Plateaued as a rookie who is 6'2 170 pounds.

It's unlikely Pettersson will end up with 90+ points this year though given his underlying percentages. That's his ceiling not a plateau from now.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Not saying they will, , rather what i am saying is if a player is going to bust after 35 NHL games into their NHL career it will usually happen to a forward.
There's literally no chance that Pettersson 'busts', unless he gets an injury or something.

Even when he's not putting up points, he's our best player by far.

I think it just comes down to what your team needs more. A franchise d-man or a franchise centre.

Reactions: CP4

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Not saying they will, , rather what i am saying is if a player is going to bust after 35 NHL games into their NHL career it will usually happen to a forward.

It's usually the opposite. Way more successful young defensemen never progress than successful young forwards

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
It's unlikely Pettersson will end up with 90+ points this year though given his underlying percentages. That's his ceiling not a plateau from now.

Wrong. Give m some legit #1 linemates and puck carrying Ds and his ceiling will be 100 point I’m telling you.

Vohaul

Jan 24, 2017
EP has Been extremely impressive not just with his production but the way he reads the game, he's constantly making creative plays and showcasing that vision and those hands..

Dahlin's strenght seems to his vision and and puck skills as well from the highlights and handful of games I've seen. Obviously hard to compare a defender to a C as far as production goes.

I might be bit biased cos I've watched him more but I'll go with Pettersson. He didn't have close to the hype Dahlin did and so far he has outdone those expectatios by a huge margin.

Future this could go either way, two super talented players neither who are close to a finished product yet. Jealous of swedes for having such talent.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Wrong. Give m some legit #1 linemates and puck carrying Ds and his ceiling will be 100 point I’m telling you.

I meant more as ceiling throughout his prime. He has 100 point potential, but not consistent 100 point potential like a McDavid imo. Regardless, I don't think it's accurate to use his current pace as his current level and assume he will continue to improve on that as he gets better. I don't think he's curently a 90+ point player over a full season. I will be pleasantly surprised if he keeps it up but I expect him to be around 75 points by seasons end

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Pettersson is carrying the Canucks on his back and actually pushing the team to compete for a playoff spot. In addition to being our best forward, he's our best defenceman too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad