Friedman: Pettersson says he’ll only re-sign if Canucks have successful season

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
Hronek making $9mm per? Yikes.
You definitely lost the trade badly if your GM had given him that much to extend this summer.

He’s a RFA next summer with just one year to UFA. No platform to extend him this this summer due to the timing and injury. So now you’ll need to negotiate when he’s already out of contract and has arbitration rights right into UFA the following year.

Yeah. That’s risky.

You’re not convincing. He’s definitely not worthy of a $9mm AAV. You didn’t trade for Makar or even Werenski. Hronek is a lower level talent by a few tiers. He’s ideally suited for middle pair duties. Trading away two high picks from an excellent draft is a high price to pay considering he’s not locked up long term and Vancouver will probably need to overpay him given the leverage his agent has.

Risky trade. And one that robbed your farm system of what little it could have had.

Are you better? I suppose. A playoff team? Probably not. It’s a win a little more now, less in the future type deal.
I guess I just don't really see the same risks as you. I wasn't suggesting he's Makar. Was referencing an article that argued that his real value was well above 9+mil a season based on his contributions on the ice. It was linked in the trade thread. Too lazy to dig it up.

I don't think the two draft picks traded were a high price. I think they are the cost to acquire an asset like Hronek. RHD, let's not ignore their added trade value and rarity in the league.

I doubt either player selected by Detroit or the Canucks will trump Hronek in the future. Hronek is 25. You're happy if your drafted defender makes his NHL debut before he turns 23. Hronek is the same age as the Canucks core pieces. Whoever we would have selected would first make an NHL impact or debut in 3-4 years - and I hope we both can agree here, that it is more likely those picks never make the same impact as Hronek has already. That's just based on historic draft data.

I'd rather have Hronek than Colby Barlow/equivalent who I would have taken at 16. 2nd rounder, we will survive. Rarely drafted NHLers out of the 2nd anyways.

That's really is it isn't it, either having the perspective that the glass is half full or half empty. Was it the most ideal or perfect move - yea probably not - but it beats not making it at all. Canucks much improved with Hronek now and for the forseeable future - if he's a fit he will be here long-term or! traded for assets :O

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I love it. Hindsight is 20-20 and I love that we also have the option to jump back in time here and listen to Linden.

Trade Pettersson, a top 10 forward in the league, for draft picks and prospects
Trade the organizations best ever defensemen for draft picks and prospects
Trade the starting goalie, at least top 15 in the league for draft picks and prospects
Trade the Russian sniper for draft picks and prospects

Trade em all I say! Sell! Sell! We have nothing going for us!

Who are we selecting, when are they making their NHL debuts and when do we win the cup?
nobody can give you a timeline for a cup win. it's all about probability. gm's try to improve with their moves the probabilty to win. job certainity impacts the timeframe which they consider.

but with 32 teams in the nhl winning a title every 30 years is already beating the odds and actually a success. most nhl fans and owners don't have the patience and would look at it as a failure. easy to see the disconnect.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Would love to hear your plan on how things should be fixed. I mean you are calling people out here so let's hear what your actual opinion is. Right now you're just loud without adding anything .

Be as selective as you want, I really want to hear more from this big hockey brain.

What are the next moves in your mind?

Sorry, I just find it really cute that people with similar opinions as you have some sort of self entitlement thinking that the team owes them something or that their negativity will finally turn the tides and force management to make changes. Rarely mention anything other than wanting changes or that everything is bad and the wrong move.

So let's hear your masterplan. What changes are you proposing?

Well since you asked for one thing, if your a bottom feeder don't spend to the cap, don't waste assets on sub par players, don't waste cap space on sub par players. Build a prospect pool that continues to grow and doesn't stop growing until your a contender.

Those are just off the top of my head I'm sure there are plenty more that this team has f***ed up since 2011, and I understand the crux of the problem (ownership) can't exactly be fixed. I actually like what the new management group has done so far here, not everything they've done but a lot more than Mr Potato head. They haven't been so eager to sign useless players nor trade for them. They have also done a decent job with free agency. I honestly hope I'm wrong and we do make the playoffs this year, I'm not some perpetual cynic or anything.

I do find it cute that people with similar opinions as you wear naivety like a badge, cheering every move this team makes regardless of how bad it is. As if just being a sheep will somehow turn the tides.

Lmao I love when someone tries to be condescending, but falls flat on their face. Bonus points if they still don’t realize it after. You are special lol.
Lmao I love when someone doesn't get context or the meaning of a simple word. So they gaslight the other person instead of just admitting they were wrong.

Mike Millbury
I've thought about that and he was awful too, I think Benning was worse.

Reactions: DeltaSwede

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
I do find it cute that people with similar opinions as you wear naivety like a badge, cheering every move this team makes regardless of how bad it is. As if just being a sheep will somehow turn the tides.
Good response - I believe I am not one of those. There is a laundry list of other moves that deserve more critique than the Hronek trade as you also referenced.

New managment seems to be moving a long in the right direction though, glad we agree there.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Good response - I believe I am not one of those. There is a laundry list of other moves that deserve more critique than the Hronek trade as you also referenced.

New managment seems to be moving a long in the right direction though, glad we agree there.

Fair enough, totally agree.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Benning is the worst GM in NHL history and set this team back years, he deserved every bit if not more criticism from this fanbase, especially the ones delusional enough to back every move he made (there were plenty of these people)
I think it’s worth pointing out that you’re responding to one of the most staunch Benning supporters here. He thought Benning was doing a great job up until he was fired, and mocked anyone who criticized Benning. He doesn’t seem capable of forming any objective or rational thoughts on Canucks management.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Do you think media/fans putting pressure on the right person is a solution?
It will at the very least demonstrate an understanding of the actual problem. After pettersons comments I was reading things like " if he's so serious about winning he better accept less money and a long term deal" like that actually makes sense to some fans. It's bizarre how little the ownership gets talked about, in the media especially

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It will at the very least demonstrate an understanding of the actual problem. After pettersons comments I was reading things like " if he's so serious about winning he better accept less money and a long term deal" like that actually makes sense to some fans. It's bizarre how little the ownership gets talked about, in the media especially

I think Canadian teams fans/media are the problem. We can't help ourselves because we live, breath, and talk hockey. What we do with pressure only complicates the situation because it creates less patience, not more. The most important thing is patience and it appears that no Canadian team has had it for a while now.... how many times are we rebuilding since the last cup to Canada in 93? I lost count.

I've seen something before where we recycle our Coaches and GM's more frequently than US teams. Do you think that is a factor?

Reactions: TBF1972

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I think it’s worth pointing out that you’re responding to one of the most staunch Benning supporters here. He thought Benning was doing a great job up until he was fired, and mocked anyone who criticized Benning. He doesn’t seem capable of forming any objective or rational thoughts on Canucks management.

Yah I mean even saying we criticized too much, someone who turned this team from one of the best run in the league to a perpetual joke and managed to stab one of the most beloved Canucks in history the back in the process. These people are so f***ing diluted.

Reactions: Frankie Blueberries

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
It's bizarre how little the ownership gets talked about, in the media especially

You have to ask yourself, how does it benefit the media to discuss ownership?

Aquilini has proven himself to be petty enough to block access for particular members who've been critical in the past. (Or media members even attached to those more negative voices. )

Fan outcry, media etc isn't going to force Aquilini to sell the team. It's that thing the everyone recognizes by doesn't really talk about because of the futility of it.

The best outcome is either he falls back to the puts up the money but is largely hands off like he was during the majority of Gillis time running the team. Or we get to go back to that briefest of moments a few summers ago where it looked like Francesco was out and one of the other brothers would take over. That's it.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
You have to ask yourself, how does it benefit the media to discuss ownership?

Aquilini has proven himself to be petty enough to block access for particular members who've been critical in the past. (Or media members even attached to those more negative voices. )

Fan outcry, media etc isn't going to force Aquilini to sell the team. It's that thing the everyone recognizes by doesn't really talk about because of the futility of it.

The best outcome is either he falls back to the puts up the money but is largely hands off like he was during the majority of Gillis time running the team. Or we get to go back to that briefest of moments a few summers ago where it looked like Francesco was out and one of the other brothers would take over. That's it.
The media deflects a lot of blame towards ownership but the reality is that the media itself does more harm to Canadian hockey teams than any owner. Ask why so many players have 7-team NTCs, or specifically list Canada on their NTC lists.
Sports media is a lot like video game journalists - sensationalist, petty, entitled, but they also feed overall industry revenues so they are deemed an acceptable scourge.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
The media deflects a lot of blame towards ownership but the reality is that the media itself does more harm to Canadian hockey teams than any owner. Ask why so many players have 7-team NTCs, or specifically list Canada on their NTC lists.
Sports media is a lot like video game journalists - sensationalist, petty, entitled, but they also feed overall industry revenues so they are deemed an acceptable scourge.

The media in Vancouver is soft as hell on the team, I don't agree with your assertion at all. Ownership and piss poor management have been why the team has been a bottom feeder for almost a decade.

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
The media in Vancouver is soft as hell on the team, I don't agree with your assertion at all. Ownership and piss poor management have been why the team has been a bottom feeder for almost a decade.
Tell that to Luongo

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

Oh man you actually believe this, is the media a problem sure, but the media is not the reason the Canucks have been a dumpster fire since 2011. The owner and his ego on the other hand......

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Don’t hate the comments made by the player, but kind of sucks as a fan of the team to hear that their star player is ready to call quits unless major/unlikely improvements are made. At the end of the day I think it’s safe to say most athletes compete with the intentions and sole goal being to win…. Being paid handsomely for it is just a nice feature.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
This. Benning’s 2016 off-season did more damage than all of current management’s missteps combined.
By 2020 Benning had 32.37 million (Eriksson 6 Myers 6 Sutter 4.35 Ferland 3.5 Baertschi 3.37 Gagner 3.15 Beagle 3 Roussel 3) in players that couldnt or shouldn't in Myers case play top9 top4. Without the ELCs of Pettersson and Hughes they would have been in even worse shape.

Its probably the worst cap management in NHL history to date

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
Don’t hate the comments made by the player, but kind of sucks as a fan of the team to hear that their star player is ready to call quits unless major/unlikely improvements are made. At the end of the day I think it’s safe to say most athletes compete with the intentions and sole goal being to win…. Being paid handsomely for it is just a nice feature.
I really understand why a EP want to leave but at the same time he can ask to a 12 M per year contract. The team will give it to him will not win stanley cup and EP will be at the same place than he is in 8 years

Reactions: 13to40

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Oh man you actually believe this, is the media a problem sure, but the media is not the reason the Canucks have been a dumpster fire since 2011. The owner and his ego on the other hand......
I consider social media to be media in 2023. Facebook is media, HFBoards is media, etc. Publishing your opinion online is a lot different than talking shit with the homies at a bar, due to the effect on players.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Blow it up boys , its time.

Or Revolt against aquaman , does he even care if the fans start to bring signs and brown bags to cover their heads?

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I consider social media to be media in 2023. Facebook is media, HFBoards is media, etc. Publishing your opinion online is a lot different than talking shit with the homies at a bar, due to the effect on players.
So now social media is to blame, still not ownership, ok then.

Blow it up boys , its time.

Or Revolt against aquaman , does he even care if the fans start to bring signs and brown bags to cover their heads?
He cared when fans started throwing jerseys on the ice, especially during a nationally televised game.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad