Seravalli: Pettersson extension could be finalized in the next few days

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
And to further emphasize this, it was a 12 year back diving contract. Take the first 8 years only and the cap hit would be 10.8M.

The actual value of contracts were hidden in plain sight for that period of time, where teams were offsetting cap hits by taking risks on excessively long term.
The 2009 one wasn't the long one I think it was 6 years if I remember right

Edit edit I remembered wrong it was 5 years long. The backdiving one is the one he is just about to finish now

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Would not give this guy a dime over 11 million a year. Even that is too much for a guy who only shows up when he feels like it. Really talented but half the time he's pouting and not moving his feet.

Trading him might actually make you a better team long term.
Nah it makes sense he's distracted now, they went against his wishes and forced him into negotiating mid season

• Haha
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
Would not give this guy a dime over 11 million a year. Even that is too much for a guy who only shows up when he feels like it. Really talented but half the time he's pouting and not moving his feet.

Trading him might actually make you a better team long term.
As a Canucks fan, I completely agree with you. He's not a franchise player. This contract is going to cripple us.

He's not even our #1 centre.

I'm hoping for a trade, with a large haul in return.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I thought he was not re-signing unless Canucks were going to start winning? still waiting. Faster he signs the faster we can trade Jake to Canucks for a haul because JR likes to overpay.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
As a Canucks fan, I completely agree with you. He's not a franchise player. This contract is going to cripple us.

It's like saying Draisaitl isn't worth the bag because he's not the #1C.

Don't know how fans come to the conclusion he isn't a franchise player - 25 y/o top 10C with a chance to be a perennial Selke contender for the next 5 years.

He won't be traded its an angle by management.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006

Canucks won't get fair value in a trade.

The only reason to trade him is if he refuses to sign.

If he's willing to sign but wants 12M, you just have to bite the bullet and pay it.

I hear the criticisms and they're fair. Especially this season. He's been a passenger to Miller and Hughes.

But you can't just give up this level of talent unless it's an overpayment coming from the other side.

You figure out the cap issues later, better to have someone slightly overpaid but with Pettersson's talent than to let him go for less than market value.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
NONSENSE!!!

Canucks won't get fair value in a trade.

The only reason to trade him is if he refuses to sign.

If he's willing to sign but wants 12M, you just have to bite the bullet and pay it.

I hear the criticisms and they're fair. Especially this season. He's been a passenger to Miller and Hughes.

But you can't just give up this level of talent unless it's an overpayment coming from the other side.

You figure out the cap issues later, better to have someone slightly overpaid but with Pettersson's talent than to let him go for less than market value.
There’s no bullet to bite unless it starts with 13.5

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
if Vancouver signs Petterson before the end of the season , it'll be a mistake . Go thru the playoffs and see what happens . If the Canucks make it deep into the playoffs and Petterson is a key part of the run , his value increases . so its a lose lose situation either way...

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
Why do so many people keep saying he has back-to-back 100 point seasons? Am I missing something? Can you guys predict the future?

The way he's playing right now, he's not going to get there this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad