Petterson vs Hughes

Petterson vs Huges?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Peteys draft season was split between the Swedish Jr and tier 2 not much better than the USNDP playing against college teams. One was also a 1st overall who had been hyped as better than AM, the other was considered a reach and hated by a lot of Nuck fans.
Trying to discredit Petey because he played part of his season in tier 2 is weak.

Pettersson played almost exclusively in the Allsvenskan, which is a professional league arguably second only to the NHL and the AHL in North America. He only went to the juniors for two playoff games after his senior team had finished its season.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
It's too close right now. Pettersson is nearly 3 years older than Jack. You can't judge players on results in their D+2 seasons. That's a recipe for disaster.

I'd take Jack Hughes because the upside is there even though Pettersson looks better right now.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Hughes has higher ceiling, but needs to add size and develop his shot. But think he'll get there.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
It's too close right now. Pettersson is nearly 3 years older than Jack. You can't judge players on results in their D+2 seasons. That's a recipe for disaster.

I'd take Jack Hughes because the upside is there even though Pettersson looks better right now.
Pettersson was drafted two years before Jack Hughes and is 2 years and 4 months older than him. That is not “nearly” 3 years.

Also, you can judge Hughes this season (D+2) against Pettersson’s rookie season (D+2). There’s plenty of contexts both ways (playing professionally vs US development, playing abroad in SWE vs NA, rookie vs 2nd year pro, respective roles on their teams) nonetheless I’m not sure I see any reason to think Hughes will be better than Pettersson.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

It's not even remotely too close to call. Hughes is barely an NHLer, at the moment. If there's any reasoning to pick Hughes here (which there really isn't) it's based purely on speculation and the belief you had in his upside pre-draft. But, at this point, I think New Jersey would be ecstatic if Jack ended up as good as Pettersson is right now.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Pettersson was drafted two years before Jack Hughes and is 2 years and 4 months older than him. That is not “nearly” 3 years.

Also, you can judge Hughes this season (D+2) against Pettersson’s rookie season (D+2). There’s plenty of contexts both ways (playing professionally vs US development, playing abroad in SWE vs NA, rookie vs 2nd year pro, respective roles on their teams) nonetheless I’m not sure I see any reason to think Hughes will be better than Pettersson.
I’m a neutral fan saying Jack. Pettersson was 20 in his rookie year. Hughes will he 20 in his rookie season. Then we’ll start talking.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Pettersson. Not really that close imo even though I think Jack Hughes will eventually develop into a very good player. Just not as good as EP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad