Petterson vs Hughes

Petterson vs Huges?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
Hughes

Pettersson didnt even show up until he was 20, but im sure nobody will consider that when looking at their career stats

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
I’m sure many people are factoring age in as well.
Logic would tell you that

but in sports a lot of people simply go off reputation. Jack had a poor statistical rookie year while Petterssons rookie year was great

A lot wont care that one was two years taught in a pro league before his debut. I bet Jack wont have a single chance in this poll, people consider him a bust already because hes not scoring like McDavid and Matthews

ASAP Surg

Nov 26, 2009
Vancouver

but in sports a lot of people simply go off reputation. Jack had a poor statistical rookie year while Petterssons rookie year was great

A lot wont care that one was two years taught in a pro league before his debut. I bet Jack wont have a single chance in this poll, people consider him a bust already because hes not scoring like McDavid and Matthews
I don’t think Jack’s a bust but I just like EP’s tools better when I’m thinking about career projections.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Hughes

Pettersson didnt even show up until he was 20, but im sure nobody will consider that when looking at their career stats
Petey only had 1 extra season before he made the team and his D+1 was a record setting season while Hughes was clearly not ready to jump right in.
Based on his d+1 season in the SHL it's not a stretch to think he could have made the jump straight away, compare Hughes sophomore season to Peteys rookie season if you want, Petey still destroys him.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014

Peteys draft season was split between the Swedish Jr and tier 2 not much better than the USNDP playing against college teams. One was also a 1st overall who had been hyped as better than AM, the other was considered a reach and hated by a lot of Nuck fans.
Trying to discredit Petey because he played part of his season in tier 2 is weak.

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
Peteys draft season was split between the Swedish Jr and tier 2 not much better than the USNDP playing against college teams. One was also a 1st overall who had been hyped as better than AM, the other was considered a reach and hated by a lot of Nuck fans.
Trying to discredit Petey because he played part of his season in tier 2 is weak.

Liar.

Find me the posts or articles hyping Hughes to be better than matthews.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014

He's not a bust at all but anyway you slice it using their stats factoring in age and Petey still has better numbers. If this Jacks rookie year in D+2 he's still producing at half Peteys numbers and both are tiny so can't say Petey has an edge there either.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Voted Pettersson. Not a slight against Hughes.

Age should be considered - and what EP40 accomplished the season before his first in the NHL was outstanding. Neither has shown his best yet. Will be fun to watch both players.

Reactions: Dust Bucket

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Liar.

Find me the posts or articles hyping Hughes to be better than matthews.
I'm not your slave do it yourself. There was tons of talk about him being the best prospect ever out of the program. Why the hell would I make that up? Dig around here or maybe someone who knows how to search this forum better than me will be nice enough to find the poll and different threads.

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
I don’t think Jack’s a bust but I just like EP’s tools better when I’m thinking about career projections.
I wasnt aiming my comments at you btw

Just the select group of people who will Vote Pettersson simply because Jack hasnt lit it up yet; when in reality thats a very poor reason considering the circumstances of Elias' start to his NHL career

Reactions: Dust Bucket

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
Discredit?

i never once commented on any tiers; i said pro hockey.

how at all is that discrediting Elias?

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
He's not a bust at all but anyway you slice it using their stats factoring in age and Petey still has better numbers. If this Jacks rookie year in D+2 he's still producing at half Peteys numbers and both are tiny so can't say Petey has an edge there either.
Jack's season next year would be the one compared to Elias' rookie year; so we shall see how they compare (hopefully NJ can surround Jack a bit better before then)

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Hughes

Pettersson was 19 at the start of his first season (and scored 10 goals and 17 points in 12 games as a 19 year old), and was in his draft+2 season. This is Hughes' draft +2 season, and due to covid, he's played most of it not far removed from the age Pettersson was to start his.

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
Pettersson was 19 at the start of his first season (and scored 10 goals and 17 points in 12 games as a 19 year old), and was in his draft+2 season. This is Hughes' draft +2 season, and due to covid, he's played most of it not far removed from the age Pettersson was to start his.
Jack is 19 for the entirety of this season, even if it was 82 games. His birthday is in May

they arent the same at all. D+ doesnt mean a thing, its about age

Jack is 5 months older than Lafreniere..

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Jack's season next year would be the one compared to Elias' rookie year; so we shall see how they compare (hopefully NJ can surround Jack a bit better before then)

Hughes started this year only 80 days younger than Pettersson was when he started his rookie year, both were in their draft+2 seasons, and Hughes had a year of experience under his belt. There is no basis for suggesting next year should be the year to compare to Pettersson's rookie year

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Jack is 19 for the entirety of this season, even if it was 82 games. His birthday is in May

they arent the same at all. D+ doesnt mean a thing, its about age

See my post below. They started their deaft+2 seasons a whopping 80 days apart in age.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

So whats your argument for Jack Hughes?

All you said was

"Pettersson didnt even show up until he was 20, but im sure nobody will consider that when looking at their career stats"

So you arent making any points in favor of Jack except for age..

Besides, this year should be compared to EP's rookie year. Its his D+2, same with Elias's D+2. In their D+2 seasons, Elias was 19 years 11 months old, Jack at the start of the season was 19 years 8 months old. Thats a 3 month difference aka negligible.

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
So whats your argument for Jack Hughes?

All you said was

"Pettersson didnt even show up until he was 20, but im sure nobody will consider that when looking at their career stats"

So you arent making any points in favor of Jack except for age..

Besides, this year should be compared to EP's rookie year. Its his D+2, same with Elias's D+2. In their D+2 seasons, Elias was 19 years 11 months old, Jack at the start of the season was 19 years 8 months old. Thats a 3 month difference aka negligible.
Youre comparing their exact days when they started the NHL (this season for Jack) like as if Jack didnt start in the NHL on a worse team at 18, while Pettersson had experience in a foreign pro and junior pro league prior.

then its only compounded by the fact that Jack plays his entire sophomore season at 19 while Pettersson played 17 or so games as a 19yr old.

Jacks experience to this point also has been completely derailed by covid while Pettersson had a normal, full season , While Jack had ten months off of hockey.

that is why next season is the comparable year to Elias' rookie year. Both will be predominantly played while the player is 20.

edited for rudeness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad