Petter Granberg

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
He's ok, he battles with Jackman for that 6th D spot

I think he's a little less "flashy" than Bitetto...he doesn't make the big hits and there's no offense in his game, but I think he's a safer, steadier player overall. I don't really know if either should be in the lineup fulltime, but one or the other at any given time won't hurt you.

As for Granberg himself...like I said, just plays a calm, steady game. Has his "oops" moments, but overall has been a good add for a waiver pickup.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I think he's a little less "flashy" than Bitetto...he doesn't make the big hits and there's no offense in his game, but I think he's a safer, steadier player overall. I don't really know if either should be in the lineup fulltime, but one or the other at any given time won't hurt you.

As for Granberg himself...like I said, just plays a calm, steady game. Has his "oops" moments, but overall has been a good add for a waiver pickup.
I don't agree. Bitetto is to me our clear #5. Granberg get's beat often and is consitantly out of position

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I don't agree. Bitetto is to me our clear #5. Granberg get's beat often and is consitantly out of position

I knew you would ;)

Bitetto to me has shown the worst decision making with the puck I've seen in a while...maybe last season of Jon Blum bad. I like him more than I did, but I still don't love him as an every day player.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I knew you would ;)

Bitetto to me has shown the worst decision making with the puck I've seen in a while...maybe last season of Jon Blum bad. I like him more than I did, but I still don't love him as an every day player.
I don't disagree with that, he tries a little too much sometimes. He'll figure that out though. He skates with the puck well though, and that's a start.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
How did he play well at times hes is invisible which is a good thing. At times he has his gaffs like any young defender.

His Ice time will be very very very limited in the playoffs against the Ducks.

No will not be here next season he was a stop gap to give our farm a full year. The Preds will have one of there rookies up next season.

He plays a conservative game or at least he trys too.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
How did he play well at times hes is invisible which is a good thing. At times he has his gaffs like any young defender.

His Ice time will be very very very limited in the playoffs against the Ducks.

No will not be here next season he was a stop gap to give our farm a full year. The Preds will have one of there rookies up next season.

He plays a conservative game or at least he trys too.

What rookie? We have zero players in Milwaukee who will be ready in the next 2 years. Granberg will be back in the Bartley role.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
possibly Dougherty.

But I like Granberg's play. I think he's been a bit timid in his role but Could see him staying and giving Jackman breaks during the season.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Wait and see. Hes a RFA Poile will not qualify the guy.

I didn't think Poile would qualify Bartley, but he did. If he doesn't qualify him we will have to look at FA for a #7 guy and I'm not sure any of those options would be better than Granberg.

possibly Dougherty.

But I like Granberg's play. I think he's been a bit timid in his role but Could see him staying and giving Jackman breaks during the season.

I think Dougherty needs a year at minimum playing in Milwaukee. Next year would be his first full season at that level and he's no Ekblad where he can come up immediately.

jstreet

LETS GO PREDS
Jan 15, 2004
FL via Nashville
www.twitter.com
Granberg has been ok. He isn't going to shoot up the depth chart here in Nashville. There was a game, and I cant remember who it was against, where I got really excited for him. He was positionally sound and laid a few great hits. But outside of that he hasn't been that noticeable, which isn't always a bad thing for a young dman.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I didn't think Poile would qualify Bartley, but he did. If he doesn't qualify him we will have to look at FA for a #7 guy and I'm not sure any of those options would be better than Granberg.

I think Dougherty needs a year at minimum playing in Milwaukee. Next year would be his first full season at that level and he's no Ekblad where he can come up immediately.

This is not mid season right after trading your #5 guy for a center. This will be in the summer with a boatload of F/A's that can play 3rd pair. And this is not to mention Granberg is a guy that was waived by a team that's is incredibly starved defensemen. Unless Granberg has an incredible playoffs I just do not see it. Bartley was an odd situation IMO because I think Poile knew in his heart he was going to move Jones last summer and that was only confirmed when he kept 7 dmen something this team has not done in my recollection for a long period at the first of the year.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
This is not mid season right after trading your #5 guy for a center. This will be in the summer with a boatload of F/A's that can play 3rd pair. And this is not to mention Granberg is a guy that was waived by a team that's is incredibly starved defensemen. Unless Granberg has an incredible playoffs I just do not see it. Bartley was an odd situation IMO because I think Poile knew in his heart he was going to move Jones last summer and that was only confirmed when he kept 7 dmen something this team has not done in my recollection for a long period at the first of the year.

Why would you think we'll go to sign a 3rd pair guy rather than keep Granberg as a #7? I don't see how that makes any sense, unless you're convinced Granberg has no upside. He's not gonna' cost squat, and I'm sure we're perfectly happy with Jackman/Potato for another year as our 3rd pair. With our Forward contracts staring us in the face over the next couple years, I can't see Poile spending anything on our 3rd pair he doesn't have to.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Why would you think we'll go to sign a 3rd pair guy rather than keep Granberg as a #7? I don't see how that makes any sense, unless you're convinced Granberg has no upside. He's not gonna' cost squat, and I'm sure we're perfectly happy with Jackman/Potato for another year as our 3rd pair. With our Forward contracts staring us in the face over the next couple years, I can't see Poile spending anything on our 3rd pair he doesn't have to.

And this is exactly why I think Granberg gets a new contract here.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

My thought process is Jackman is 35 now he missed 9 games with injury this year. It all goes back to retirement and drop off of aging players. I think Granberg was a convenient pick up after Jones was moved. If Jackman gos Hal Gill on us what then. Are we comfortable rolling Granberg and Tater a whole year? If so then that's a real cheap 3rd pair.

It makes more sense for Poile to go to the market pick up another guy for the 3rd pair and have Tater as the 7. Again Granberg was waived by a team who is impotent on D could he be rehabilitated? Possibly and we know Poile likes to do that But I still think Poile goes the safer route in this case. He only needs a year or two On Doughtry who I think everyone sees as the next anointed one. He Has tater as his project D.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I think we will go with the exact same 7 d-men next year too. see no reason, financially or ability wise to not.

That is something I think could happen as well because of upcoming contracts. Forsberg Neal and Johanson are going to break the bank. This may well be Poile prepairing for that. But It is still taking one heck of a chance on that 3rd pair if he goes that direction.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
I really think Bitetto is going to fit in nicely. He isn't a super star but he can carry the puck and that helps our forwards out a great deal. He is only 25 and this is his first season getting regular starts.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I really think Bitetto is going to fit in nicely. He isn't a super star but he can carry the puck and that helps our forwards out a great deal. He is only 25 and this is his first season getting regular starts.

Your right He will be a cost controlled 3rd pair guy that's not making many mistakes already but due to his limited number of NHL games he needs the veteran out there with him. Jackman is the wildcard IMO at 35 like I said before could at any point go Hal Gill on us or the nagging injuries get to him. Tater has done well to this point but he will need a couple season before I would feel safe putting another inexperienced guy like Granberg out with him.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
My thought process is Jackman is 35 now he missed 9 games with injury this year. It all goes back to retirement and drop off of aging players. I think Granberg was a convenient pick up after Jones was moved. If Jackman gos Hal Gill on us what then. Are we comfortable rolling Granberg and Tater a whole year? If so then that's a real cheap 3rd pair.

It makes more sense for Poile to go to the market pick up another guy for the 3rd pair and have Tater as the 7. Again Granberg was waived by a team who is impotent on D could he be rehabilitated? Possibly and we know Poile likes to do that But I still think Poile goes the safer route in this case. He only needs a year or two On Doughtry who I think everyone sees as the next anointed one. He Has tater as his project D.

He was waived due to being on IR and the team wanted to send him down for a longer period than the IR Send down to get some work done. They tried sneaking him down there and it failed. They didn't want to lose him.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
He was waived due to being on IR and the team wanted to send him down for a longer period than the IR Send down to get some work done. They tried sneaking him down there and it failed. They didn't want to lose him.

It is difficult to believe that. Unless Lou is now losing it. The Leafs were playing for nothing but a better pick all year long. What harm would it have been to keep him on the roster if they wanted to keep him so bad? What would have been the advantages? Well he would have played at a lower competitive level that's granted. Are the Leafs in a cash crunch? None of us would believe that. Would Granberg have prevented the Leafs from tanking to get that better pick? Well that's a stretch. Was he lower on the depth chart then they had hoped? Probably and this was the likely reason they had to try and retain the guy slipping him through. But why take a chance at all? I can't think of a reason we would expose any player to waivers unless there is zero chance they would be picked up. Poile sent Stalberg down two or three times last year trying to get someone to bite.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
It is difficult to believe that. Unless Lou is now losing it. The Leafs were playing for nothing but a better pick all year long. What harm would it have been to keep him on the roster if they wanted to keep him so bad? What would have been the advantages? Well he would have played at a lower competitive level that's granted. Are the Leafs in a cash crunch? None of us would believe that. Would Granberg have prevented the Leafs from tanking to get that better pick? Well that's a stretch. Was he lower on the depth chart then they had hoped? Probably and this was the likely reason they had to try and retain the guy slipping him through. But why take a chance at all? I can't think of a reason we would expose any player to waivers unless there is zero chance they would be picked up. Poile sent Stalberg down two or three times last year trying to get someone to bite.

Looking back some articles it appears it was a combination of his injury + Babcock doesn't like stay at home defensement.

[fieldset=Why the Leafs lost Petter Granberg on waivers]
Granberg was once considered a top defensive prospect for the Maple Leafs, an example of a European scouting system that was going to find steals in lower rounds. Granberg was a fourth-rounder who played eight games for the Maple Leafs.

He was recovering from a torn achilles tendon and the Leafs thought they could sneak him through waivers, that no team would want a player who hadn't played since spring, but they were wrong.

They took the risk, though, because Granberg's a stay-at-home type defenceman, and Leafs coach Mike Babcock has no time for those. As he's said, why would a defenceman want to stay in his own end?

Babcock prefers swift skaters and fast puck movers and Granberg didn't fit that bill.
Granberg is probably ready to play in the NHL. Nashville is probably the team that best appreciates his skill sets, even if he is the ninth defenceman on their roster.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/break...he-leafs-lost-petter-granberg-on-waivers.html
[/fieldset]

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
That is something I think could happen as well because of upcoming contracts. Forsberg Neal and Johanson are going to break the bank. This may well be Poile prepairing for that. But It is still taking one heck of a chance on that 3rd pair if he goes that direction.

Jackman is a serviceable anchor on the bottom d pair and Bitteto has shown improvement and an actual ability to move the puck. Don't know many other better bottom pairings that you don't "take" a risk on. If there was no risk, they'd be higher on the depth chart. We will be fine with the depth on defense we have and I think keeping Ekholm and Ellis together for traditional minutes as our 2nd pairing is the best plan

They won't be on the ice in crucial moments anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00