Petter Granberg

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Hockey's Future said:
A right handed defensive defender with very good size(6'3", 200 lbs), Granberg has both strong defensive acumen and can chip in with some offense from time to time with a strong first-pass. He plays a very smart defensive game and is rarely caught out of position. Does a very good job containing opposition forwards in the defensive zone due to his large wing span and body position. Compared in style to current Maple Leaf defender Carl Gunnarsson, Granberg is said to have a bit more of a physical edge to his game. He is expected to become an even more dominant defender as he matures.
Has anyone been following the Marlies? How has he looked so far? Surely he's better then Franson and Fraser defensively.

He leads the Marlies in +/- in the same way Phaneuf leads the Leafs in +/-

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Dont think he's ready yet.

None of our high end d prospects are ready, i.e Percy, Grannberg, Finn.

they need more time but our defense on the leafs is gorrid right now

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Dont think he's ready yet.

None of our high end d prospects are ready, i.e Percy, Grannberg, Finn.

they need more time but our defense on the leafs is gorrid right now
Well that's what im asking.

Can our best AHL dman, replace our worst NHL dman.

Simcoe23

Feb 2, 2011
I think there are guys from my beer league that can replace the worst D-men on this team. The problem would be narrowing your choice to pick just one of these plugs.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
He's having a very good season, but needs a bit more time. Last thing I want is for him to be rushed on the team and become the new whipping boy since fans in this city love to do that.

I can't wait until the day we have solid, smart defenders in our line-up that we've developed on our own in Percy, Granberg and eventually Finn. Of course, they may not all pan out, but they're all high IQ d-men who make calm, smart plays and are strong defensively.

I'm going to do a happy dance when Mark Fraser is gone for good and these guys are given a shot.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
He's having a very good season, but needs a bit more time. Last thing I want is for him to be rushed on the team and become the new whipping boy since fans in this city love to do that.

I can't wait until the day we have solid, smart defenders in our line-up that we've developed on our own in Percy, Granberg and eventually Finn. Of course, they may not all pan out, but they're all high IQ d-men who make calm, smart plays and are strong defensively.

I'm going to do a happy dance when Mark Fraser is gone for good and these guys are given a shot.

I have always liked Percy, but man that Finn kid just looks like he's gonna be something special. I really hope the Leafs don't try and make a silly trade with our key prospects moving forward.

Simcoe23

Feb 2, 2011
Seriously though, the studs on the farm cant possibly be as bad as this. Its not like we are getting beat best-on-best- these guys are just completely and totally out to lunch. Not at all emotionally invested in this.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Percy would be a solid #5 I think. Far better than Fraser and Ranger. Granberg is still a little green for my liking.

Keep them with the Marlies. They need and deserve the chance at getting top minutes and playing for a team that can actually compete in their league.

Tyler Biggs*

He'd be the perfect kind of guy to pair with Gardiner or Rielly (long term) because he'll basically just think defense while the other guys could be a little more free to go for a skate.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I thought his 1 game sample set audition at seasons end went very well for him.

Leafs need more passive offense but steady defensive defenders.

Rielly Good

May 13, 2009
London, ON
I thought his 1 game sample set audition at seasons end went very well for him.

Leafs need more passive offense but steady defensive defenders.

Exactly. I am actually excited for a stay at home Defenceman. Pair him with Gardiner or Rielly.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
basically the coffey-smith model. i approve!

if percy was able to play a little more physically, and other prospects reach their potential, then it could be great eventually having in a few years:

gardiner-granberg
rielly-finn
macwilliam-percy

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
basically the coffey-smith model. i approve!

if percy was able to play a little more physically, and other prospects reach their potential, then it could be great eventually having in a few years:

gardiner-granberg
rielly-finn
macwilliam-percy

Who is Coffey and who is Smith?

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
if this is a serious question:

paul coffey is one of the greatest defenseman of all time, and steve smith was his stay at home defensive partner on the edmonton oilers. it was in the 80s when they won cups.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I'd like to see Grunberg start the season on the top D pair with the Marlies and then give him a call up a couple months into the season assuming he is playing well. I like the thought of Granberg, Percy and Finn all hopefully having a significant role with the Marlies next year.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I'd like to see Grunberg start the season on the top D pair with the Marlies and then give him a call up a couple months into the season assuming he is playing well. I like the thought of Granberg, Percy and Finn all hopefully having a significant role with the Marlies next year.

I'd prefer if one of those players makes the leaf's 3rd pairing... The other two can be the top pairing on the Marlies (or at least in the top 4). Most likely to make the team next year is Percy imo... I believe Finn is going to be the best, but he hasn't played a single pro game and I believe they'll give him time to adjust in the AHL.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012

Fransons gone, Granberg is most likely going to be taking his spot.

He's ready, he looked good in the one game and has built up a solid track record now, he's an NHL d-man.

Percy will be the first call up.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
One of Granberg and Percy should be a Leaf next season. Granberg and Rielly would make up a good pairing. Inexperienced for sure but not for long!

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
One of Granberg and Percy should be a Leaf next season. Granberg and Rielly would make up a good pairing. Inexperienced for sure but not for long!

watch the marlies ......i would imagine granberg is one player nonis is getting asked about most on the marlies,if a trade up for a draft pick happens ,id say any team wants a granberg type .....he just jumps out a you
a little trick an OHL scout told me the avg fan should try ......watch a game with the sound off ,no volume,granberg jumps out at u .
not great ,but he move sideways well for a big .....fuka

Tyler Biggs*

The guy played on the top pairing for Sweden winning gold ..he is a great defencemen and anyone who watched him play knows it. He stopped a 4 on 1 his only NHL game and was the best defensemen on the ice that whole game.

Anyone see him cracking the Leafs roster next season?

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
The guy played on the top pairing for Sweden winning gold ..he is a great defencemen and anyone who watched him play knows it. He stopped a 4 on 1 his only NHL game and was the best defensemen on the ice that whole game.

Anyone see him cracking the Leafs roster next season?

No, knowing this organization they'll give him like 5-6 games playing >10mins while a deteriating 38 year old Dan Boyle will play 25mins a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad