Confirmed with Link: Petry signs a one-year contract.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
How are they not comparable? Gagner was signed because MacT thought it was a good idea and wanted to keep him around, less then a year later he's traded. I was calling for Gagner to be traded right up until the point he was signed last year while his value was at it highest. Similarly Petry should have been traded, but it looks like MacT is content going into the season with crap centers and extra depth on d. The difference is that at least Petry isn't going to be impossible to move now. But in saying that I'll be surprised if we get anything more then picks for him when he is eventually moved as MacT has basically killed his trade value like he did with Gagner. He either overpays or underpays and kills trade value.

That's the beauty of a one-year deal. MacT is rightfully not ready to commit to Petry long-term yet. Even the biggest fans of Petry understand he's not a truly proven commodity in the NHL. Petry has potential to be a 1D, if not that a top-end 2D if his development is finished off properly. He's not there yet, but he should be close.

Play Petry with Nikitin on the first pairing. Petry needs to be paired with someone to limit what he needs to do on the ice. I think a lot of Petry's struggles last year were because he needs that classic stay at home, solid puck possession partner. He never really had that last year. If he can start the year playing with Nikitin it will become very obvious very quickly if he can has the potential to be a true #1.

The first nine games of the season will be very important. Is Petry exhibiting growth in his game? How well will Nurse do in those nine games? How well will Draisaitl do?

The signing was a great move by MacT. If Petry really clicks with Nikitin, you re-sign him before the ninth game of season. Give him the odd shift with Marincin. Use those as your guide but the decision has to be made early. Nurse and Draisaitl's play is also a factor in the negotiations. The play of Draisaitl and Nurse the first nine games next year will be critical. If Nurse plays well and has earned a permanent spot on the roster that puts pressure on Petry to re-sign quickly and more reasonably. Draisaitl's play will determine if our number one trade target is a centre or a defenceman.

Now is the time to lock up Schultz for three years. $9.5M with an aav of $3.2M. I could live with that. Petry could then have a bar to clear. Maybe give him four years for $4M per year? If Nurse and Marincin show they are ready to be in the league full-time the Oilers will have an embarrassment of riches on the backend. Injuries/poor play from the competition are a risk MacT takes with this move. I think it's worth it.

I believe MacT will face a real test as GM. Between now and the TDL there is potential to build a team that could sneak into the playoffs. That obviously won't happen overnight, but if the team is managed well and gets a few breaks then the playoffs shouldn't be out of the question. Earn your money MacT!

Last edited:

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
^ won't 9 games be too small of a sample size to make decisions like that? Petry has had stretches of 9 games in the past where he has looked like a true #1 franchise dman.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Petry has NEVER looked like a #1 franchise dman. For gods sakes. :shakehead

He has had stretches each year of looking like a #2 if we had a real #1 or a #3 but only in short stretches. He never has controlled a hockey game.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

He has had stretches each year of looking like a #2 if we had a real #1 or a #3 but only in short stretches. He never has controlled a hockey game.

If that's your criteria for a #1D, then there's like three real #1's in the league.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
^ won't 9 games be too small of a sample size to make decisions like that? Petry has had stretches of 9 games in the past where he has looked like a true #1 franchise dman.

That's one of the tough things about being a GM. You need to make decisions quickly.

The way MacT has managed the team so far works if he is ready to pull the trigger early in the season. He has to address a 2/3 C at some point. If they go into the season with in-house commodities that will be time to make a change. One big defensive injury somewhere and the Oilers have a lot of power.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton

I think an issue is using the word 'franchise.' That tends to add a lot of value to a player. A franchise player is one who you would build your team around. That is not necessarily a #1 dman.

Now, I'm not arguing with you. I don't think Petry has ever looked like a franchise dman, and I don't really think he has ever looked like a normal #1 dman. Stretches of 2 and 3, yes. Which is still very very good.

IMO, his realistic peak is a good #3 dman. And that isn't, and shouldn't be, a disappointment.

Eirhead*

If that's your criteria for a #1D, then there's like three real #1's in the league.

OMG the Petry supporters are just ridiculous sometimes. Petry is not ever going to look like a #1 for 1 whole period. He has moments every game where he looks god awful. If you think a #1 is the type of player who completely blows their coverage, or gives away the puck at center ice every game, you've been watching Oilers hockey for too long.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
OMG the Petry supporters are just ridiculous sometimes. Petry is not ever going to look like a #1 for 1 whole period. He has moments every game where he looks god awful. If you think a #1 is the type of player who completely blows their coverage, or gives away the puck at center ice every game, you've been watching Oilers hockey for too long.

Both sides of this coin have ridiculous statements made. I know some people who would like to see us buy him out just because they dislike him so much. He's still getting to the point where dmen are at their peak, so it's still not necessarily easy to tell where he's going to land.

Realistically, it's somewhere between a #3 and a #6 defensemen, on a good team.

*edit* I'm a Petry supporter, ftr.

Eirhead*

If you want to see someone with #1 potential, check out Nurse who laid more big hits in one prospect game than Petry lays in a season... oh and he has a slap shot. An impact player.

I'm content with the contract. What he's probably worth on the open market, without too much commitment. If he made less mental errors he could be a way better hockey player.

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
If you want to see someone with #1 potential, check out Nurse who laid more big hits in one prospect game than Petry lays in a season... oh and he has a slap shot. An impact player.

I'm content with the contract. What he's probably worth on the open market, without too much commitment. If he made less mental errors he could be a way better hockey player.

"hits"..?? it is an NHL statistic..

2011-12 Petry 73games played, 48th(among defensemen) in "hits" at 126 (Ladi was around 13th and the pair led the league)

2012-13 Petry 48games played, 13th(among defensemen) in "hits" at 112

2013-14 Petry 80games played, 17th(among defensemen) in "hits" at 181

there are around 300+ defenders ranked in the NHL per season.. a lot of brand name guys ranked behind him in that dept

so...

Eirhead*

I said big hits. Not a little muscling for a puck. There's a big difference in how that influences the momentum of a game. I stand by my original statement. Petry doesn't lay big hits.

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
I said big hits. Not a little muscling for a puck. There's a big difference in how that influences the momentum of a game. I stand by my original statement. Petry doesn't lay big hits.

I feel ya..

they need to make some extra stat categories like "big hits" and maybe "extra big hits"

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think an issue is using the word 'franchise.' That tends to add a lot of value to a player. A franchise player is one who you would build your team around. That is not necessarily a #1 dman.

Now, I'm not arguing with you. I don't think Petry has ever looked like a franchise dman, and I don't really think he has ever looked like a normal #1 dman. Stretches of 2 and 3, yes. Which is still very very good.

IMO, his realistic peak is a good #3 dman. And that isn't, and shouldn't be, a disappointment.

This.

A good #3 anchors the mid pairing. Petry is too inconsistent to be a #3 on a playoff team as is but could still get there.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

Petry has thrown some big hits. Where the difference between Nurse and Petry is most apparent is that once the whistle blows, Petry skates away from a scrum, Nurse looks for someone to rough up.

I'd actually like to see the two paired together.

Eirhead*

Petry has thrown some big hits. Where the difference between Nurse and Petry is most apparent is that once the whistle blows, Petry skates away from a scrum, Nurse looks for someone to rough up.

I'd actually like to see the two paired together.

I think Gilbert and Petry are related. They both have the same hockey temperament. You especially need your defencemen to be setting the tone of the game.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

PK Subban is probably one of the top five D in the game and is notorious for making huge gaffes. It doesn't matter though because his team is a lot better with him on the ice. Petry is a similar case though obviously not in the same league as PK in terms of driving play, but I'd rather have a guy who makes mistakes but makes his team better overall than a guy who plays safe, flawless hockey but doesn't do anything.

Connor Mcdavey*

PK Subban is probably one of the top five D in the game and is notorious for making huge gaffes. It doesn't matter though because his team is a lot better with him on the ice. Petry is a similar case though obviously not in the same league as PK in terms of driving play, but I'd rather have a guy who makes mistakes but makes his team better overall than a guy who plays safe, flawless hockey but doesn't do anything.

The difference is PK Subban is high risk high reward. Petry on the other hand, is low reward high risk. And to the poster pointing out Petry has a ton of hits, lol that is laughable. He is soft as butter, For someone with that size and skating it is inexcusable to not play a bigger game .

Eirhead*

Ya but 1 very important point I've been making through the rest of my posts is that a guy like PK sets the tone of the game by making big hits, taking over offensively, and scrapping it up when necessary. Petry doesn't have those qualities. He's not a momentum booster.

I'll admit he capable of moving the puck. That's why he's had better advanced stats than the rest of our weak defence. But for every 2 or 3 good plays he makes, he makes a god awful giveaway or unnecessarily rush a play causing a loss of possession...

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Way to much love for Petry and not enough for Schultz in this thread.

Agreed but this board seems to sour on young players quickly so i'm not surprised that so many are looking to ship Schultz out of here. Eberle is also becoming a victim of this and Nuge as well.

I believe that the Fayne signing was the beginning of the end for Petry's tenure as an Oiler. He was brought in to replace Petry, not be an addition to Petry.
Fayne is basically a more consistent version of Petry so his skillset is now somewhat redundant.

The thing with Schultz is that he has a unique skillset that isn't duplicated in the Oilers lineup. If he reaches his potential, we could be talking about a 50 pointish defenseman who can hold his own defensively. Maybe a Yandle or Letang type if all works out. You don't just deal a player like that unless his contract demands are outrageous and is unwilling to budge.

Petry is a better defenseman currently but Schultz has so much more room to grow IMO. I feel that Petry pretty much is what he is at this point.
The Oilers blueline would be an offensive wasteland if Schultz was dealt.

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
not to mention that in his intro to the NHL, Petry had to sink or swim with a ("broken D-corps) and two top lines of petulant children..

some of whom, would actually quit, or make a "display" when the pass was off...

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
not to mention that in his intro to the NHL, Petry had to sink or swim with a ("broken D-corps) and two top lines of petulant children..

some of whom, would actually quit, or make a "display" when the pass was off...

:facepalm: This is it, this is the lowest point, Wow people. wow.

The Oilers' blueline has had it's problem clearly, so had the goaltending and the forwards are learning.

Petry has played well, he's got his faults as well. The Oilers aren't sold on him, that's why it's a one year deal. I think he gets traded, but this is getting beyond ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad