Rumor: Petrovic on the market, per Bob McKenzie

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Pysyk should be effective again in a 3rd pairing role.I honestly have zero preference here, they're both solid 3rd pairing guys. Summer of optimism, whoever is traded won't have a big effect because whoever stays will fill that 5-6 role nicely.

Breaking Dadonov

Jan 25, 2018
The thing is if we kept Petro, we'll end up with a 2M-ish (he should get something around that mark, a little under or a little over) or a 2.75M (Pysyk) healthy scratch. On most teams the 6th/7th d-man isn't making that type of money, nor do I think our money pinching owners would be too thrilled about that.
Yeah that makes sense. I just hope we can package him for something nice. He struggled early on in the season but I think he really pulled it together near the end of the season aside from a few bad plays behind the net defensively. Hopefully Pysyk will bounce back, putting him back on the third pairing would be ideal.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Have to wonder if Gallant wants him in LV. They have a lot of picks to offer as well.
Yeah, I'm sure they'd luv to trade Tatar to us for him. McPhee doesn't look like a member of Mensa for that transaction. He gave the Wings their 1st this year and a 2nd next year for a guy who's only suited up in 7 of the 19 PO games plus has 3 more years left at $5.3M on his Cap hit. Full NTC kicks in 7/1/18.

I don't see us doing business with VGK. One embarrassment is enough. :)

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I don't see us doing business with VGK. One embarrassment is enough. :)

Trading Petrovic after the exp draft also puts the last nail in the coffin that Dalé effed up the protection list completely. Tallon is a walking disaster for this club, I can't wait for him to execute another knee jerk move(s) upon 1st of July. Besides even with the current roster it's still lacking physicality and truculence and I don't see how trading Petro helps the cause.

Bobby Mac is probably talking out of his rear, trying to make it seem that he has connections to the Cats' brass when in reality he doesn't. We all know that if someone talks with the Canadian hockey news talking heads without the permission from Viola, they're about to enter into a world of pain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brokin

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Glad we protected him. While I liked the Vatrano move and the Kiselvich move, Tallon is due for a bad one. Trading Petro for a most likely later pick would be a waste. If you trade him, add him to a package for something that can help the team right now. While I'm not in love with his play, Petro is still solid enough to be helpful on the thrid pairing. Would rather keep him over Pysyk if it came down to it.
McKenzie said he thought Petro could be available because of the move for Kiselvich. Makes sense as we need to divest ourselves of at least one RHD since Kiselvich is a LHD. So that leaves us with Weegar or Pysyk on the 2nd pair with the LH Matheson. Will be interesting to see how it plays out at camp but my money is on Weegar.

Tallon can play this a couple of ways. He can package Petro to free up some Cap space by mandating the team also take McGinn's final year at $3.3M. The return would have to be a lower round draft pick to make any team bite. The best option is a quality wing prospect or draft pick in the 18 to 31 range this year. Anything better than that is gravy. :)

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Trading Petrovic after the exp draft also puts the last nail in the coffin that Dalé effed up the protection list completely. Tallon is a walking disaster for this club, I can't wait for him to execute another knee jerk move(s) upon 1st of July. Besides even with the current roster it's still lacking physicality and truculence and I don't see how trading Petro helps the cause.

Bobby Mac is probably talking out of his rear, trying to make it seem that he has connections to the Cats' brass when in reality he doesn't. We all know that if someone talks with the Canadian hockey news talking heads with the permission from Viola, they're about to enter into a world of pain.
I don't know if Tallon has much choice as Mr. Boo is not a fan of Petro. It has to be a personal thing between Boo and Petro as it makes zero sense to me to move the only blueliner that hits like a truck and offers a nominal amount of enforcement. Kiselvich can also offer some limited enforcement but I wasn't impressed by the video of him winning a fight with what looked to be a guy who was smaller and had never dropped the gloves before.

Having to rely on Haley to come off the bench to enforce is not much of a deterrent after the fact. You're right that the roster is populated with a bunch of soft players that again will be asked to stand up for one another. It's just a matter of time before a guy like Ek gets pummeled and is back on IR with a concussion. :)

Reactions: patthebat

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I don't know if Tallon has much choice as Mr. Boo is not a fan of Petro. It has to be a personal thing between Boo and Petro as it makes zero sense to me to move the only blueliner that hits like a truck and offers a nominal amount of enforcement. Kiselvich can also offer some limited enforcement but I wasn't impressed by the video of him winning a fight with what looked to be a guy who was smaller and had never dropped the gloves before.

Having to rely on Haley to come off the bench to enforce is not much of a deterrent after the fact. You're right that the roster is populated with a bunch of soft players that again will be asked to stand up for one another. It's just a matter of time before a guy like Ek gets pummeled and is back on IR with a concussion. :)
Lots of teams are starting to not have enforcers or even hard hitters but instead having speed over physical play.

As an aside, I don't like the way the subtle rule changes are changing the game because I enjoyed both playing a more physical style and enjoy watching a more physical style largely because I find stellar defensive desperation just as amazing (and often more so) than stellar scoring.

To be clear, I'm not in favor of bringing back the Scott Stevens style of preying on players without the puck and leaving them in heaps of concussion on the ice. But I am in favor of not making every little whack of the stick count as a slash and every arm around the shoulder count as a hold. Basically, I disagree with the philosophy of "do something to cause goal scoring to go up".

But the game is changing and teams are starting to dress young skinny speed skaters who can get the puck into the o-zone in a hurry and draw some penalties. Unfortunately, I think this detracts from the game rather than adds to it.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Meh. I prefer both he and pysyk leave tbh. Weegar is already much better than both and I want to give this russian guy a chance on the bottom pairing.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Meh. I prefer both he and pysyk leave tbh. Weegar is already much better than both and I want to give this russian guy a chance on the bottom pairing.

I think there's a strong chance Kiselevich is the top 4 guy though. Your suggestion only works if we assume they're not done there.

Breaking Dadonov

Jan 25, 2018
McKenzie said he thought Petro could be available because of the move for Kiselvich. Makes sense as we need to divest ourselves of at least one RHD since Kiselvich is a LHD. So that leaves us with Weegar or Pysyk on the 2nd pair with the LH Matheson. Will be interesting to see how it plays out at camp but my money is on Weegar.

Tallon can play this a couple of ways. He can package Petro to free up some Cap space by mandating the team also take McGinn's final year at $3.3M. The return would have to be a lower round draft pick to make any team bite. The best option is a quality wing prospect or draft pick in the 18 to 31 range this year. Anything better than that is gravy. :)
Getting rid of Mcginn's contract would definitely make a trade of Petro easier to swallow.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
I also feel Petro is getting a bit undervalued here, he still has upside.

I feel like he can be a fringe top4 guy. He can skate, can be physical and has a first pass. Also he does that cool spin move in his own zone from time to time lol.

He also used to beat up players for like a 10 game period.. then met Evander Kane... man woops

Reactions: Kellyr

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Can someone fill me in on his brother/family situation? Been away for awhile and not sure what the deal is.

Some think that Tallon is constantly checking up on Twatter what each player's relatives thinks about how Booger is dividing the TOIs.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
What makes you think this?
Just Tallon's quotes, he seems to like him, and you wouldn't give a guaranteed deal to a guy to not play him. (IMO) I think he likes both Pysyk and Petrovic, it would be surprising if he wanted to move both. Maybe @coopdaloop123 can provide his take on if he thinks he's the top 4 guy.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Just Tallon's quotes, he seems to like him, and you wouldn't give a guaranteed deal to a guy to not play him. (IMO) I think he likes both Pysyk and Petrovic, it would be surprising if he wanted to move both. Maybe @coopdaloop123 can provide his take on if he thinks he's the top 4 guy.

Ok.

I think Tallon is hyping up the guy as usual. Hoping for the best obviously but I don't think they know until he hits the ice.

I'd be surprised if the search for a top4 D has stopped. This signing feels more like an insurance policy in case they can't make a trade or sign anyone from UFA.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
So is it the common consensus that Weeger is a shoe in to make the team? I see a lot of people saying we have a “surplus” and need to trade someone. I figured we would just go with

Matheson,Yandle,Kiselvich on the left and

Ekblad, Petrovic, Pysyk on the right

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
So is it the common consensus that Weeger is a shoe in to make the team? I see a lot of people saying we have a “surplus” and need to trade someone. I figured we would just go with

Matheson,Yandle,Kiselvich on the left and

Ekblad, Petrovic, Pysyk on the right

I think he should be.

He was our 4th best dman once he got some steady ice time.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
i dont like getting rid of a player who earned his right to be on the team. pysyk played himself off the roster and petro played himself on. he was the best d man on the team in the disaster that was 16-17 and finished strong in 17-18. i get the contract situation makes pysyk harder to move and the drama surrounding petro doesnt work in his favor but a good gm should be able to rid us of pysyk and keep petro. thats what good gms do. we....dont have one of those.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad