Rumor: Petrovic on the market, per Bob McKenzie

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I'm a bit surprised if Petro goes before Pysyk.
I’m not surprised. The contract situation makes sense. But considering
Tallon is drunk with revenge and decides to move one of his guys over pysyk is just outstanding. Goes against everyone’s expansion draft theories

Reactions: BeezKnees

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I'm a bit surprised if Petro goes before Pysyk.

I guess they like what they see from Weegar and Pysyk does stay healthy and offers same amount of offense or better.

Weegar gets blocked if both Pysyk and Petro stay. Keselvich is a boom or bust signing but also gives Mccoshen one more year to put it together in SPR or he may get shipped out. Gildon and Stillman are coming in hot on the LD side.

A guy I like is Schemitsch (RHD) down in Springfield, turns 22 later this year, had 10g, 19 pts in 63games but plays a smart two way game and can skate. 6'4, 205lbs. Reminds me of a bigger Weegar a bit. Keep an eye on him, should be a dark horse to make the team in 2019-2020 and both Petrovic and Pysyk will be gone by then I'd assume.

Tallon going double agent duties and now will trade away all his drafted players :sarcasm:. Bjugstad and Huberdeau are next. Dun Dun Dun!

Who would you draft with 15th if we keep the pick? RD? LD? W?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kellyr

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I guess they like what they see from Weegar and Pysyk does stay healthy and offers same amount of offense or better.

Weegar gets blocked if both Pysyk and Petro stay. Keselvich is a boom or bust signing but also gives Mccoshen one more year to put it together in SPR or he may get shipped out. Gildon and Stillman are coming in hot on the LD side.

A guy I like is Schemitsch (RHD) down in Springfield, turns 23 later this year, had 10g, 19 pts in 63games but plays a smart two way game and can skate. 6'4, 205lbs. Reminds me of a bigger Weegar a bit. Keep an eye on him, should be a dark horse to make the team in 2019-2020 and both Petrovic and Pysyk will be gone by then I'd assume.

Tallon going double agent duties and now will trade away all his drafted players :sarcasm:. Bjugstad and Huberdeau are next. Dun Dun Dun!

Who would you draft with 15th if we keep the pick? RD? LD? W?

I have no idea about the draft. I guess a D? Since I keep hearing that there's a lot of good dmen available.

Schemitch is interesting. If they can get another quality nhl player out of a late pick, that would be amazing.

If he ships out more than one of his own guys this summer I'll start suspecting Tallon is on new meds from his new internet doctor Brokin.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Moving on makes sense for both parties. The team shouldn't commit long-term to a guy that looks to be nothing more than an okay bottom pairing guy. On the flip side, Petro would be foolish to remain in a situation where he isn't likely to get a bigger role to showcase himself. I don't think he has what it takes to be a legit 2nd pairing guy, but at least some rebuilding team might give him that chance.

With Pysyk you just gotta hope he bounces back in a lesser role, if Kiselevich is taking his spot in the top4 that is.

I'd guess the price is around a 3rd round pick (+ maybe another late pick), Petro doesn't have enough upside to be worth a 2nd IMO.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
I’m not surprised. The contract situation makes sense. But considering
Tallon is drunk with revenge and decides to move one of his guys over pysyk is just outstanding. Goes against everyone’s expansion draft theories

IceManCat just gave the best explanation.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I have no idea about the draft. I guess a D? Since I keep hearing that there's a lot of good dmen available.

Schemitch is interesting. If they can get another quality nhl player out of a late pick, that would be amazing.

If he ships out more than one of his own guys this summer I'll start suspecting Tallon is on new meds from his new internet doctor Brokin.

Ya I agree. Feel we will lose a defenseman to SEA expansion draft so draft one now to be ready for that loss in a couple years.

Springfield should be a playoff team next year. Big injection of youth and skill especially if Tippett and Borgstrom play top 6mins there but Schemitsch adds to a growing trend of other late picks in Malgin, Mamin, and hopefully Repo and Ang soon enough.

:laugh: that would definitely make sense. Isn't Brokin a doctor already, among a philosopher, lawyer, philanthropist and psychic while being a ladies and man's man? I wouldn't be surprised if Brokin and Jakey both abduct Dale and then be the final two candidates for new GM.

Reactions: Kellyr

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Moving on makes sense for both parties. The team shouldn't commit long-term to a guy that looks to be nothing more than an okay bottom pairing guy. On the flip side, Petro would be foolish to remain in a situation where he isn't likely to get a bigger role to showcase himself. I don't think he has what it takes to be a legit 2nd pairing guy, but at least some rebuilding team might give him that chance.

With Pysyk you just gotta hope he bounces back in a lesser role, if Kiselevich is taking his spot in the top4 that is.

I'd guess the price is around a 3rd round pick (+ maybe another late pick), Petro doesn't have enough upside to be worth a 2nd IMO.

Get back a 3rd you gave up for Vatrano and draft a goalie with that pick. We could use one.

Would Petrovic have enough value to move us into a late 1st if we add 34th?

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Get back a 3rd you gave up for Vatrano and draft a goalie with that pick. We could use one.

Would Petrovic have enough value to move us into a late 1st if we add 34th?
I think the type of team interested in him is rebuilding and looking for two things.

1) Petro plays above expectations, gets re-signed or traded for more than they paid for him. Win/win.

2) Petro stays at his current form, gets traded for equal or slightly worse value. Fill in for the season basically.

So I don't see Petro in play to jump to the 1st round, more of a bargain bin option for someone looking to take a chance on him. Maybe try to get a conditional late pick that turns into another 3rd if Petro re-signs for more than one year with that team.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
lets not undervalue this player... You may have your opinions on him but this guy has worth and we should be getting something back for him if we deal him.

Reactions: Jakeybonz

Breaking Dadonov

Jan 25, 2018
Glad we protected him. While I liked the Vatrano move and the Kiselvich move, Tallon is due for a bad one. Trading Petro for a most likely later pick would be a waste. If you trade him, add him to a package for something that can help the team right now. While I'm not in love with his play, Petro is still solid enough to be helpful on the thrid pairing. Would rather keep him over Pysyk if it came down to it.

Reactions: Jakeybonz

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
So how does everyone feel about this, trading another physical vet #4/5 guy on defense after so much improvement was made this year? Reminds me so much of the Guds/Kuli situation, except expansion is in 2020-21.

He's worth more on the team than he is in a trade. He's not going to fetch much on his own and could never be the focal point of a package.
This.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
So how does everyone feel about this, trading another physical vet #4/5 guy on defense after so much improvement was made this year? Reminds me so much of the Guds/Kuli situation, except expansion is in 2020-21.

Think they viewed Petrovic as Guds replacement who was cheaper and could provide similar style of game.

Now it's Weegar who is doing the same thing that Petro did to Guds? That's my take. Pysyk is due to be better this year and hasn't missed a game since coming over.

Fun fact, only Matheson missed ONE game last year out of our top 4 D, the other three played all 82. *knocks on wood*

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
lets not undervalue this player... You may have your opinions on him but this guy has worth and we should be getting something back for him if we deal him.
Geez, somebody with a salient thought.

Simple question. What is the most sought after type of defenseman in today's marketplace? Yeah, RHD who can play physical. Half the league will be involved in the pursuit of Petro, even if he is a bottom pairing guy for us. Some teams would see him as a solid #4 on the 2nd pairing and it's quite clear that Mr. Boo has no use for him after benching him at the beginning of last year. I felt at the time the only reason he got back into the lineup was a mandate from Tallon to put his guy back in to showcase his value.

Pysyk is due for a bounce back and can play RHD on the 3rd pair. No question in my mind that either by himself or packaged, they will get a nice return. :)

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Also, I listened to the BobCast for June 4th and at the 21 minute mark is where he discussed Petro. He did not say he was available but said he may be available. McKenzie said it was based on some talk he had heard but no official word from any of his insiders. So it's anecdotal at this point and McKenzie said it's something to keep an eye on.

Maybe he left out that Petro's brother was his source.:laugh: I would guess Tallon will address this at some point. If he doesn't snuff it out quickly and they have every intention of sending him a qualifying offer, then the rumor only makes the negotiations more difficult. :)

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Glad we protected him. While I liked the Vatrano move and the Kiselvich move, Tallon is due for a bad one. Trading Petro for a most likely later pick would be a waste. If you trade him, add him to a package for something that can help the team right now. While I'm not in love with his play, Petro is still solid enough to be helpful on the thrid pairing. Would rather keep him over Pysyk if it came down to it.
The thing is if we kept Petro, we'll end up with a 2M-ish (he should get something around that mark, a little under or a little over) or a 2.75M (Pysyk) healthy scratch. On most teams the 6th/7th d-man isn't making that type of money, nor do I think our money pinching owners would be too thrilled about that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad