Rumor: Petrovic on the market, per Bob McKenzie

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Have to wonder if Gallant wants him in LV. They have a lot of picks to offer as well.

They really don't.

2018, no 1st, 1 2nd, no 3rd.
2019 1 1st, 2 2nds, 2 3rds.

For a team at the start of their journey that's not that much, and probably shouldn't be spending on 3rd pair guys.

I think I'd target a quality bottom6 option for Petro to help to balance the minutes better.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Petro is a nice bottom pair guy to have but completely replaceable. Another reason he should have been left unprotected in the expansion draft.

Trade him for a pick or add him to a package to get a top 6 forward or new 4th line C.
It is worse for Tallon if he now trades Petro after sacrificing the top 6 forwards last year to keep him.

But he was the logical choice.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Can we keep Petro's brother?

That shouldn´t be the big Problem since he used an account here. There was some 2-3 posts here when we opened the first Petrovic Thread, while he was benched. And that Account wrote the same stuff used near same term as Petros Brother used later in Twitter. So most likelyhe could stay here.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Lots of teams are starting to not have enforcers or even hard hitters but instead having speed over physical play.

But the game is changing and teams are starting to dress young skinny speed skaters who can get the puck into the o-zone in a hurry and draw some penalties. Unfortunately, I think this detracts from the game rather than adds to it.
That's true but the element of intimidation is what got the Caps where they are. Ovi, Wilson, Oshie and Smith-Pelley have just pounded players in all 3 zones thru the various series and IMO it has taken each of their opponents off their game. I give a ton of credit to Ovi for skating his heart out along with Wilson and they are physically intimidating the other teams best players. The difference is Ovi does it without trying to permanently injure. VGK has two of the toughest guys in the league in Reaves and Engelland and it's been meaningless in the series. Both of those guys aren't in the same league as far as hitting intimidation and thus they have been irrelevant. It's been left up to a bunch of VGK average sized forwards who are basically not suited for the physical game to try and match them and it's no contest so far.

As long as Bettman allows the gray area hits to continue by Wilson it will give the Caps that extra edge of intimidation. None of their opponents has a player like Ovi that can physically intimidate plus dominate with his talent. It's gonna take an extremely talented team of skinny players to win a Cup in the future within the present rules interpretation along with a dominant performance in goal. Yzerman was saying a team like the Bolts just needs to be patient and their time will come. Remains to be seen. :)

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
That's true but the element of intimidation is what got the Caps where they are. Ovi, Wilson, Oshie and Smith-Pelley have just pounded players in all 3 zones thru the various series and IMO it has taken each of their opponents off their game. I give a ton of credit to Ovi for skating his heart out along with Wilson and they are physically intimidating the other teams best players. The difference is Ovi does it without trying to permanently injure. VGK has two of the toughest guys in the league in Reaves and Engelland and it's been meaningless in the series. Both of those guys aren't in the same league as far as hitting intimidation and thus they have been irrelevant. It's been left up to a bunch of VGK average sized forwards who are basically not suited for the physical game to try and match them and it's no contest so far.

As long as Bettman allows the gray area hits to continue by Wilson it will give the Caps that extra edge of intimidation. None of their opponents has a player like Ovi that can physically intimidate plus dominate with his talent. It's gonna take an extremely talented team of skinny players to win a Cup in the future within the present rules interpretation along with a dominant performance in goal. Yzerman was saying a team like the Bolts just needs to be patient and their time will come. Remains to be seen. :)
I agree on the Ovechkin/Oshie/Wilson observation and (for once :)) I hope you'll be shown to be right and I wrong.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Both were protected in the expansion draft.
Interesting question would be, did any other team protect anyone worse?

(We already know that other than Fleury, nobody left anyone better unprotected.)

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Interesting question would be, did any other team protect anyone worse?

(We already know that other than Fleury, nobody left anyone better unprotected.)

Columbus paid a first round pick and a second round pick to get rid of Clarkson’s contract and Karlsson who was second in the Rocket Richard trophy.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany

A few Points. Reaves and Engeland toughest Guys in the League, not sure about that. Its not like with Chara or Big Buff, the two most toughest Guy. One push Guys around like a train and the otherone is forbidden to fight even if he want, the Refs wouldn´t allow him. Of strengh and height advantage. ;)

I think its more then Wilson and Ovi, i mean Oshie proofed more often then in Game 4 that he can play the tough Guy too. So the most forwards from WSH try to dominate with physical battle, only difference WSH do it with 3 of the top Players. It´s nothing new to get the CUP, the LA Kings did the same on there Cup run, the ruled the physcial Game to win the Games and make the other Teams tired. The same was with Boston, where Lucic and the Rat did what they like on there Cup run, Hawks Defender and 3rd Line checking any rest of Air our of their opponents.
That is the Way to get to the Cup, that brings me to you last Words.
This stuff has nothing to do with Bettman, im not a fan of him either. But PO always was tougher and the Battle rougher then regular Season and that will never change.
Its like in the Colloseum, when the Crowd doesnt see the Battle in the Sport, its not an Arena. ;) Or with other Words, only the toughest one walk till the end of the tunel.

Crosscheck is a rule always fall in PO. But what about Slashing, didn´t the Leagure was saying we go hard against slashing. Where in the beginning of the Season only the try gived 2 Min, when you watch a single Game in every Series during the PO, we would be around 10-12 Penalty Minutes of slashing. So Rules in PO doesnt Count, as long the Stick have the right Size everything is allowed.

When i see Oshie Wilson and Ovi and see then what Petrovic playes as a tough Guy you only can laugh about it. For real he skates and pass a bit better, but Petro reminds me of physical Guy Ellerby. :D
Difference between Ellerby and Petrovic, Ellerby as more famous family then Petrovic.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
A few Points. Reaves and Engeland toughest Guys in the League, not sure about that. Its not like with Chara or Big Buff, the two most toughest Guy. One push Guys around like a train and the otherone is forbidden to fight even if he want, the Refs wouldn´t allow him. Of strengh and height advantage. ;)

I think its more then Wilson and Ovi, i mean Oshie proofed more often then in Game 4 that he can play the tough Guy too. So the most forwards from WSH try to dominate with physical battle, only difference WSH do it with 3 of the top Players. It´s nothing new to get the CUP, the LA Kings did the same on there Cup run, the ruled the physcial Game to win the Games and make the other Teams tired. The same was with Boston, where Lucic and the Rat did what they like on there Cup run, Hawks Defender and 3rd Line checking any rest of Air our of their opponents.
That is the Way to get to the Cup, that brings me to you last Words.
This stuff has nothing to do with Bettman, im not a fan of him either. But PO always was tougher and the Battle rougher then regular Season and that will never change.
Its like in the Colloseum, when the Crowd doesnt see the Battle in the Sport, its not an Arena. ;) Or with other Words, only the toughest one walk till the end of the tunel.

Crosscheck is a rule always fall in PO. But what about Slashing, didn´t the Leagure was saying we go hard against slashing. Where in the beginning of the Season only the try gived 2 Min, when you watch a single Game in every Series during the PO, we would be around 10-12 Penalty Minutes of slashing. So Rules in PO doesnt Count, as long the Stick have the right Size everything is allowed.

When i see Oshie Wilson and Ovi and see then what Petrovic playes as a tough Guy you only can laugh about it. For real he skates and pass a bit better, but Petro reminds me of physical Guy Ellerby. :D
Difference between Ellerby and Petrovic, Ellerby as more famous family then Petrovic.
Follow the bouncing ball. My quote: "two of the toughest guys in the league in Reaves and Engelland." Now where does that equate to the two toughest guys in the league?

Duties of the Commissioner of the NHL: "The commissioner has authority over dispute resolution, league committees, interpretation of league rules, appointment of league staff, NHL financial matters, contracting authority, scheduling, officials and disciplinary powers."

It has everything to do with Bettman and his appointment of Colin Campbell as Director of Hockey Operations for the NHL (read below). When Pitt won the SC in 15-16 they were not a physical team but the model of puck control that the computer boys wanted to emulate. They pretty much skated circles around and controlled play in every series that year. The next year they won the SC again, only this time they had to do it by absorbing cheap shots, cross checks and slashes. Hence Rutherford went out and gave up a #1 for Reaves in the off-season. You can bet your bottom dollar that Bettman had a long talk with the head of officials before the 16-17 SC playoffs that the rules during the regular season would not apply to the playoffs. So league went back to turning a blind eye to cross checking, slashing and cheap shots for the SC playoffs.

I get it. You don't like Petro and I do. :)

Reporter: Colin Campbell Accosted Me For Asking Gary Bettman About Concussion Concerns

Last edited:
Reactions: GermanPanther

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Follow the bouncing ball. My quote: "two of the toughest guys in the league in Reaves and Engelland." Now where does that equate to the two toughest guys in the league?

Duties of the Commissioner of the NHL: "The commissioner has authority over dispute resolution, league committees, interpretation of league rules, appointment of league staff, NHL financial matters, contracting authority, scheduling, officials and disciplinary powers."

It has everything to do with Bettman and his appointment of Colin Campbell as Director of Hockey Operations for the NHL (read below). When Pitt won the SC in 15-16 they were not a physical team but the model of puck control that the computer boys wanted to emulate. They pretty much skated circles around and controlled play in every series that year. The next year they won the SC again, only this time they had to do it by absorbing cheap shots, cross checks and slashes. Hence Rutherford went out and gave up a #1 for Reaves in the off-season. You can bet your bottom dollar that Bettman had a long talk with the head of officials that the league was scrapping the previous year mandate of rules that would carry over from the regular season to the SC in 16-17. So league went back to turning a blind eye to cross checking, slashing and cheap shots for the SC playoffs.

I get it. You don't like Petro and I do. :)

Reporter: Colin Campbell Accosted Me For Asking Gary Bettman About Concussion Concerns

When you go that Way then still it´s not Bettman fals, its the Owner. Bettman is nothing then the Face for the Owner and the Organisation. I special said Owner not GM, cause if you listen to GM´s, they really wanna do something about the concoussion Problem. That was also an Argument to send none Player to the Olympics comeing back with concuission.

But in the end, its not like, old American Guys leave the Dream of the Rom Empire. Blood, Beer and Games for the People to entertain. So more Blood as more excitment its get.
No blaim the Owner, for give Bettman space about concussion Problem. it´s not like the Owner and Gm´s meet more then once a Year to discuss this stuff, aslong more come running nothing will change.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
When you go that Way then still it´s not Bettman fals, its the Owner. Bettman is nothing then the Face for the Owner and the Organisation. I special said Owner not GM, cause if you listen to GM´s, they really wanna do something about the concoussion Problem. That was also an Argument to send none Player to the Olympics comeing back with concuission.

But in the end, its not like, old American Guys leave the Dream of the Rom Empire. Blood, Beer and Games for the People to entertain. So more Blood as more excitment its get.
No blaim the Owner, for give Bettman space about concussion Problem. it´s not like the Owner and Gm´s meet more then once a Year to discuss this stuff, aslong more come running nothing will change.
Yes, the Board of Governors are the owners and they supposedly are Bettman's boss. The Chairman of the BOG is Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs (hated by the players around the league due to his hardline lockout stance in 2012-13 season). Before that it was Bettman that locked out the players in 05.

Bettman is the first NHL Commissioner and has been in charge since 1993. Before that the title was President of the NHL and didn't carry as much power over hockey operations. Since he has been in charge the league revenue has soared from $400M to between $4.5 to $5B for the 17-18 season. That right there will tell you how much power Bettman has and just who has the final say in hockey operations.

Most of the existing rules that govern play in the NHL have been in effect for years. Changes to the rules can be proposed at the annual GM meetings. The proposal then goes to the Competition Committee that is a compilation of players from various teams representing NHLPA and appointed reps from NHL teams plus Colin Campbell. Any changes recommended by the Competition Committee must then go to the BOG for final approval.

Again, it is Bettman who interprets all the rules period. :)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad