Confirmed with Link: Petr Mrazek signed 1 year, 1.5M

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Every one of those tandems is better than ours, according to recent trends and barring a miracle rebound by one of our guys.

Hutton and Greiss? You got me there. There are two teams who compare evenly to our situation. The bottom 3 tandems in the league. Winning?

What are we saving the $10 million for? We’re like $7M below the basement level with an ostensibly full roster. We’re going to have to take cap dumps in the process of trading away some of our only actual offensive talent, in order to make the dang cap floor. Why are we talking about cap crunches and not wanting to overpay for an actual NHL-level goalie?

Because of RFA signings down the road? Well, we banked money for that last summer, and look what happened. Dundon had us trade both RFAs because they had the nerve to ask him to actually spend that money. Remind me again what we are doing with this big cap savings that prevents us from needing Carey Price.

Not to mention that Price has a much, much better pedigree than our tandem and is far more likely to bounce back? Lundquist had a bad year a couple seasons ago. People were saying he was done. Well guess what- he wasn't.

f*** yes I trade our goalie situation's for Montreal's. In a f***ing heartbeat. Why the f*** is that even a question?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
What problem does that solve? We pay $8 million for the buyout, then $3 million more for Ward and $1.5 million for Mrazek and go into next season paying $12.5 million to have Mrazek/Ward? Sounds like a smart plan to me.

If the Canes bought out Darling then they would be paying $1.3 million for him next year out of pocket ($1.3 million x 6 years).

$5.8 million for Ward + Mrazek vs. $5.65 million for Darling + Mrazek sounds like a no-brainer to me. I put a premium value on winning next year though.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Ward/XXX has definitely worked in the past, so let's try it again, nevermind the fact that Cam clearly sucked himself toward the end of the year, posting a .893 save percentage in Feburary

Keeping Darling represents another chance to improve goaltending simply by him turning around. Cam is an old 34. It's unlikely he's going to be an NHL goaltender for much longer.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
All you guys bitching about the goaltending situation can go f*** yourselves. I had hoped to spend a nice 4th of July week at our farm, only to find the upstairs smells like sewer gas. So I spent the 95 degree day tearing walls apart to find the source (which was a bad elbow joint). Finding a few bees nests and mouse infested fiberglass insulation was just an added bonus.

The Mrazek signing sounds damn good to me right now.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Why would two UFA goalies on “show-me” contracts want to compete with each other and Darling?

Because if this board is to be believed it isn't much of a competition.

You're Lehner: Oh I just have to beat someone who was historically bad and the guy who hasn't been able to put it together. I got this LOLOL.
You're Mrazek: Hah I just need to beat historically bad goaler and guy who lose job on no good team Buffalo. Let me show west world how to goaler.
You're Darling: *gulp* ....well this is bad.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
All you guys *****ing about the goaltending situation can go **** yourselves. I had hoped to spend a nice 4th of July week at our farm, only to find the upstairs smells like sewer gas. So I spent the 95 degree day tearing walls apart to find the source (which was a bad elbow joint). Finding a few bees nests and mouse infested fiberglass insulation was just an added bonus.

I’m getting ready to finish my bathroom remodel today. Know the feels, had to remove rotted and molded walls.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
In:
- Hamilton [top 15 dman in league, our first legit PPQB since when?]
- Svechnikov [the second best prospect in the world, winger with two-way game, elite scoring, great size]
- Necas [top 10 prospect in the world, legit young talent]
- Ferland [we lack this kind of player since when?]
- DeHaan [shot blocking machine, good pmd]
- Fox [legit prospect, could be offensive weapon]
- Mrazek [one of most talented guys in the league but still questionable future]

Out:
- Hanifin, Lindholm... Who cares about Nordstrom, Dahlback, Ryan and Stempniak? I love Cam Ward but it's time to move on.

We could add to our offense. Rask could rebound, i'd love to see Staal with Brindy as a coach. Aho/TT should be better. One more offensive piece and if Necas/Svech score something like 40-45 pts, this could be dangerous lineup. We finally have a lot of depth - PDG, Saarela, Wallmark, Martinook, Foegele, Zykov, Kuokkonen, even Roy/Gauthier. If Rask/Darling rebound, we are pretty much fine. Rask is not game changer but he's better than last season. Darling is not the answer but he's not ECHL goalie imo.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I guess part of what’s pissing me off at this point is that at this point I don’t believe Dundon would spend the money if the opportunity was staring him in the face.

Calvin de Haan says hello....sorry, THH, couldn't resist :naughty:

Yes, I know it doesn't fix the goalie situation which gives me heartburn. But I'm in the camp that I'm not sure we had a ton of other options. This gives us a legitimate Top 4 set of defenders. I suspect we'll see another move or two in the coming days as well. Yup, whomever said we're only 14 days into the Summer had the right of things.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
All you guys *****ing about the goaltending situation can go **** yourselves. I had hoped to spend a nice 4th of July week at our farm, only to find the upstairs smells like sewer gas. So I spent the 95 degree day tearing walls apart to find the source (which was a bad elbow joint). Finding a few bees nests and mouse infested fiberglass insulation was just an added bonus.

Yah man I feel ya....I'm having a rough day too...I got 3 mosquito bites!!!! 3!!!

...hope your day turns around and you pop open a few beers and can enjoy yourself.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yah man I feel ya....I'm having a rough day too...I got 3 mosquito bites!!!! 3!!!

...hope your day turns around and you pop open a few beers and can enjoy yourself.
Hah. Well fixing that one loose pipe didn’t completely eliminate the problem so had to breakdown and call in a professional, but he won’t be here until tomorrow so plenty of time for a beer or 2 today.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
I'm on the optimistic side as well, thinking that we have significantly upgraded the team in front of whichever goalie is is net. That by itself should be good for 4-8 more wins this year.

So did Khudobin, Lack and Darling.

Of course, you can look at that and say "Well, his numbers were good when Detroit was good." Once Detroit started to be more on Carolina's typical level of play, Mrazek's numbers take a drastic drop off.

So I guess we're hoping this isn't another Khudobin situation, where the team in front of him had a drastic effect on his numbers?

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Anderson almost had a Darling-esque year last year, and he's a lot older. He's not even in the discussion of good goalies anymore, in my book.

Elliott’s is .913, Talbot’s is .918, and Anderson’s is .918. None of them have been “2018 Darling bad” or “2018 Mrazek bad” that I know of. All have been respectable in starting roles.

Of course it’s possible that one of our guys outplays one of those 3 guys this year, but I don’t see why we’d expect that to happen based on prior history.

I guess part of what’s pissing me off at this point is that at this point I don’t believe Dundon would spend the money if the opportunity was staring him in the face. Literally every single move we’ve made under his regime has been the cheap option. I’ve lost my initial confidence that he’s willing to put his money where his mouth is.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Anderson almost had a Darling-esque year last year, and he's a lot older. He's not even in the discussion of good goalies anymore, in my book.

Throughout the years Anderson has consistently won:

SeasonRecord
2010-1111-5-1
2011-1233-22-6
2012-1312-9-2
2013-1425-16-8
2014-1514-13-8
2015-1631-23-5
2016-1725-11-4
2017-18 23-25-6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Last year was the first year in 8 seasons with Ottawa that Anderson finished below hockey 0.500. Takes a certain mental fortitude to be that consistent. Ottawa went to 4 Playoffs in that period as well.

Career Playoff stats for Anderson: 46 GP (23-22) with 0.929 SV% and 2.35 GAA. Also indicative of a guy who can show up when he needs to on a regular basis.

I definitely don't think Anderson is some slam dunk option, but he'd go a long way to hedge a Mrazek/Darling mental breakdown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad