Injury Report: Petr Mrazek (Groin Again) [Update Nov 7: Out 4 weeks]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Anyone who thinks a combo of Campbell/Woll is the answer rest of season is so ridiculous. Campbell could go down with an injury any time, and I will tell you Woll will never be able to handle that load.

We need a quality backup/1B

Mrazek is just that. He's been that his whole career. I love Campbell as much as anyone, and I do believe he can be a true #1 in the future, but ultimately we are a better team with Mrazek taking 40% of the load. Campbell was otherworldly in his absence, and it couldn't have come at a better time.

I will say, since Jack has been a Leaf, he has yet to hit a slump. It's actually remarkable. The bad losses have been there, but he always seems to rebound. But for the remainder of this season, we need Petr to be our 1B /Backup. We absolutely cannot be 1 injury away from Joe Woll being our starter. Anyone who disagrees has clearly never watched him on the Marlies.

Run the Campbell/Mrazek tandem we always intended to run, and if Campbell continues to pull away as the clear #1 then you move Mrazek in the offseason. Way too much on the line this year

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Anyone who thinks a combo of Campbell/Woll is the answer rest of season is so ridiculous. Campbell could go down with an injury any time, and I will tell you Woll will never be able to handle that load.

Mrazek is just that. He's been that his whole career. I love Campbell as much as anyone, and I do believe he can be a true #1 in the future, but ultimately we are a better team with Mrazek taking 40% of the load. Campbell was otherworldly in his absence, and it couldn't have come at a better time.

I will say, since Jack has been a Leaf, he has yet to hit a slump. It's actually remarkable. The bad losses have been there, but he always seems to rebound. But for the remainder of this season, we need Petr to be our 1B /Backup. We absolutely cannot be 1 injury away from Joe Woll being our starter. Anyone who disagrees has clearly never watched him on the Marlies.

Run the Campbell/Mrazek tandem we always intended to run, and if Campbell continues to pull away as the clear #1 then you move Mrazek in the offseason. Way too much on the line this year
Well said! Here's my like.

catty.gif

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Yep.

Imagine if Campbell goes down you're then forced to run a Hutch-Woll tandem

It's an unnecessary risk. Leafs can reassess things in the offseason

marquee

Apr 7, 2011

I agree with the first point but Campbell shouldn’t be in a 1a/1b tandem with how he’s played thus far. If his minutes are reduced it’s clearly the front office trying to decrease his FA value.

right now he’s the clear #1 until he demonstrates he’s not.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
And when Campbell is nursing his injuries from being overplayed, we can hit the playoffs running with Woll and Hutch and 3.8 million. Absolutely idiotic.

How hard is it for people to actually think?
That’s what you paid Mrazek for who’s a capable starter.

I’m just not a fan of artificially reducing the value of a guy having a career year during his contract year,

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Good news: he was able to play a full game last night for the Marlies in a 5-1 loss.

Was at the game, Mrazek was terrible. This signing will be the undoing of the TML. It’s not an insane amount of cap space but for an already cap strapped team we can’t afford a player who is oft injured and not a very good player. Maybe it’s an overreaction but wasn’t a fan of the signing at the time and I think even worse now.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Was at the game, Mrazek was terrible. This signing will be the undoing of the TML. It’s not an insane amount of cap space but for an already cap strapped team we can’t afford a player who is oft injured and not a very good player. Maybe it’s an overreaction but wasn’t a fan of the signing at the time and I think even worse now.

I can’t think of a more obvious summer trade than dumping Mrazek and signing a decent back-up.

Campbell is proving he’s not only a starter, but a damn good one, and will get starter’s money as well.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

“this will be the undoing”. Really?

Reactions: banks

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
A little disappointing seeing Mrazek have an awful game in the AHL but it’s not the end of the world. We’re 2 months into the season and he’s played a game and a half basically prior to this… I’m sure it’ll take a couple games to get back up to game speed.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
3 years was far too long a term to sign this guy. That's the premium you pay for a UFA but seriously this signing looks bad if he can't stay healthy. We also need him to be good when healthy which he hasn't shown yet but it's only been 2 games.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I agree with the first point but Campbell shouldn’t be in a 1a/1b tandem with how he’s played thus far. If his minutes are reduced it’s clearly the front office trying to decrease his FA value.

right now he’s the clear #1 until he demonstrates he’s not.
Last year MAF won the Vezina Trophy with having played 36/56 games. Which is good for 64% of the cage. This is exactly how Campbell should be used once Petr comes back, unless it negatively is impacting Soupy's rhythm. But I highly doubt that will be the case TBH.

People are sleeping on how good Petr can be in that 40% capacity. He has the ability to steal us a game, and he has proven to be a very effective 1B. An ideal split would be 60:40 with Soupy getting the majority of the net. This type of system is becoming increasingly more popular and has shown to be very effective as well.

Time will tell, but I really think this is what was envisioned out of the gate, and I see no reason to think they won't at least give it a look. Campbell will still get a very healthy amount of starts. And the beauty of it is, if Petr doesn't return to form right away, we know we can trust Soupy to shoulder a bit more that 60% to keep the ball rolling.

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
That’s what you paid Mrazek for who’s a capable starter.

I’m just not a fan of artificially reducing the value of a guy having a career year during his contract year,
He’s never had this type of work load before goalies can’t go 0-100 like that. We need Campbell fresh for the playoffs.

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
Last year MAF won the Vezina Trophy with having played 36/56 games. Which is good for 64% of the cage. This is exactly how Campbell should be used once Petr comes back, unless it negatively is impacting Soupy's rhythm. But I highly doubt that will be the case TBH.

People are sleeping on how good Petr can be in that 40% capacity. He has the ability to steal us a game, and he has proven to be a very effective 1B. An ideal split would be 60:40 with Soupy getting the majority of the net. This type of system is becoming increasingly more popular and has shown to be very effective as well.

Time will tell, but I really think this is what was envisioned out of the gate, and I see no reason to think they won't at least give it a look. Campbell will still get a very healthy amount of starts. And the beauty of it is, if Petr doesn't return to form right away, we know we can trust Soupy to shoulder a bit more that 60% to keep the ball rolling.

fluery looked warm out to when playoffs came, I’m sure handling that many starts wasn’t good for the team in the long run.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
When is this guy back? Would be nice to have one of our larger investments from the off-season f***ing available for games like last night.

Unless he had another set back from his game yesterday, he should be back for tomorrow? Or by the weekend?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm still hopeful that Mrazek will have a positive impact this season. There's still plenty of hockey left to play.

We badly need him to play, and play well. Not so much for this season considering how well Campbell is playing but it's not likely we can afford them both next season so we need to either establish some trade value for him, or if we can't afford to resign Campbell then we're going to need Mrazek ourselves next season.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I watched it on internet and 2 of those goals OMG they were peewee house league level misses .. he must still be hurt because he is much worse than Hutch .. if this is our backup then we are screwed if Soup goes down

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Worth remembering that just last season Price had a very mediocre AHL conditioning stint before having one of the best playoff performances of his career. It's why they send these guys down there after injuries, to shake off the rust during games where it doesn't matter/no pressure.

Reactions: Pinto and smitty10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce