News Article: Petition to fire Chris Lee

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He is a POS but I would never advocate for someone to be fired over a hockey game. Just a game
There is also a chance.........an outside chance, that maybe the guy will learn from all this? The zebras are not held accountable near enough....that whole we will take care of it internally by the league is crap...

Reactions: Tyson

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
a)He's wealthy no doubt about it
b) he can probably retire if he wanted to
c) plenty of other leagues he can ref in

The NHL should demand the best. If this clown can't cut it (which he can't) then someone else can be given the opportunity. He's not in any danger of losing his job, but even if he did, it would be deserved. He simply isn't good enough.
WWE is always looking for more refs....

Reactions: Saxon

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
He is a POS but I would never advocate for someone to be fired over a hockey game. Just a game

How about firing a man incompetent at his job who let someone punch someone else? There will come a point where refs "managing" the game like this leads to a potentially career ending injury as players keep taking more and more liberties with what they can get away with.

Alas, change.org petitions mean nothing.

Reactions: Saxon

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
It is not just a game.....that is a ridiculous take.

It is a multi billion dollar industry and he is a liability in this industry. He is in a well compensated and coveted vocation that he is required to maintain a high level of competency in. This is the highest level of competition in the world at this sport and the privilege to work at this level must be earned and respected. Should GM's and coaches also have jobs for life because it is "just a game".....?????

I honestly can't believe that you feel that your statement is based on any sort of reasonable rationale.....
It's not a game. It's his job. If you're bad at it, you get fired.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Yesterday Chris Lee stood by while Kucherov got an absolutely vicious and gratuitous cross check that took him out of the entire game. Bush league stuff. Pathetic that Chris Lee is one of the refs chosen to referee games in the semis. We better not see this hack in the finals regardless of if we make it there or not. What a joke. But then again, Chris Lee is only a symptom of a much larger disease called Campbell and Bettman. And this situation won't get resolved with a fan petition, but only if medias and major betting companies like bet99 start putting pressure on the league to clean up their act.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
How about firing a man incompetent at his job who let someone punch someone else? There will come a point where refs "managing" the game like this leads to a potentially career ending injury as players keep taking more and more liberties with what they can get away with.

Alas, change.org petitions mean nothing.
I think he is incompetent and shows bias and I hope the NHL figures it out. A petition in this scenario is comical.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Can you elaborate? Does he say a lot of racist stuff or something?

He's saying we may hear Lee say some stupid shit like "I'm managing the game" or "I wanted to give that guy/team a penalty since the 5 minute mark".

Like what happened to Peel.

Side note, I'll be Tampa are punching air right now.

Reactions: Censored Toad

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Yesterday Chris Lee stood by while Kucherov got an absolutely vicious and gratuitous cross check that took him out of the entire game. Bush league stuff. Pathetic that Chris Lee is one of the refs chosen to referee games in the semis. We better not see this hack in the finals regardless of if we make it there or not. What a joke. But then again, Chris Lee is only a symptom of a much larger disease called Campbell and Bettman. And this situation won't get resolved with a fan petition, but only if medias and major betting companies like bet99 start putting pressure on the league to clean up their act.

I agree with the overall sentiment of your post, but I'm not sure why you're bringing bet99 into this...? :laugh:

They saturated us with commercials, I can't take 'em no more.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I agree with the overall sentiment of your post, but I'm not sure why you're bringing bet99 into this...? :laugh:

They saturated us with commercials, I can't take 'em no more.

I am not an expert on this, but betting companies can be sued if it looks like the reffing is biased, not up to par. And Bettman covets the money from bet99 and the NHL's association with these type of companies. That's why they have some sort of incentive for the sport to be, at least in appearance, fair.

Not a fan of the endless commercials either.

Reactions: Roadhouse

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I rarely advocate for someone to lose their job unless it's a case of extreme incompetency to the detriment of others or a case of extreme ego taking over the functioning of a persons ability to do their job. In either case or any other scenario, if the person is not capable of doing their job and it's hurting others, then outside of retraining and trying to get them back in line, you have to let them go. Keeping only diminishes the credibility of the organization who employs them and takes away from the other employees who are good at their job and puts them in the same basket which causes even more discord within.

By whatever metric you use, Chriss Lee should not be an NHL referee as he's shown he's wholly incompetent for several years and in several different scenarios. He's got to go of the NHL hopes to maintain any semblance of integrity which has already been called into question multiple times and now has a reputation for being a bush league with the worst officiating of any other major sport.

Last edited:

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
He's a horrible referee and I honestly, I hate to say it, think that at times he has had strong biases against certain players.

NineteenSixtyFive

Mar 7, 2016
He's unionized.. this will do nothing, just like the NHL can do nothing except not assign him to critical games.

This is the thing I can't wrap my head around. Why is he reffing any games right now? He can't possibly be considered one of the top 6 and even if, for some strange reason, he was ranked one of the best before the playoffs surely they can re-evaluate and make changes on the fly.

The petition could be made simpler, Just ask to have him excluded from officiating any more games this season. That would appease everyone for now.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
The league has been radio silent on Chicago’s situation which is a million times worse than anything Lee has done. I’m not going to count on this having any impact.
Which situation are you talking about? The team's name?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I guess players feel differently...

"Other referees who received best ref votes included Justin St. Pierre, Francis Charron, Jake Brenk, Kyle Rehman, TJ Luxmore, Chris Lee, Dean Morton, Chris Rooney, Trevor Hamilton (presumably, Trevor Hanson, though you’d think if he’s your pick for top ref, you might know his name), Pierre Racicot (who’s a terrific linesman… but not a referee), Jon McIsaac, and Jean Hebert."

NHL Players Name Best Ref, Worst Ref in Athletic Survey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad