Petition for Culturally Accurate Jersey Nameplates

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Interesting.

As a Graphic Designer my first thought is if it’s possible for each special character to easily be rendered using each teams current typeface.

By introducing a new set of characters to jerseys you would essentially be undoing hours of the typography research that a design team or individual put into the team branding.

Some characters or glyphs may not even be available in some of the current fonts being used and would have to be created.

Not the end of the world but I’m sure you would receive some kickback from a few brand managers in the league. They can be pretty rigid when it comes things like this.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Interesting.

As a Graphic Designer my first thought is if it’s possible for each special character to easily be rendered using each teams current typeface.

By introducing a new set of characters to jerseys you would essentially be undoing hours of the typography research that a design team or individual put into the team branding.

Some characters or glyphs may not even be available in some of the current fonts being used and would have to be created.

Not the end of the world but I’m sure you would receive some kickback from a few brand managers in the league. They can be pretty rigid when it comes things like this.
I didn’t know you were a graphic designer. Nice.

In theory you’re right but I feel like there aren’t all that many unique hockey jersey fonts, and European leagues likely use a lot of the same ones. Plus the characters might not be that different, i.e. a ‘U’ with a couple dots over it, etc.

Last edited:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I didn’t know you were a graphic designer. Nice.

In theory you’re right but I feel like there aren’t all that many unique hockey jersey fonts, and European leagues likely use a lot of the same ones. Plus the characters might not be that different, i.e. a ‘U’ with a couple dots over it, etc.

Thanks, I agree with you for the most part. I just couldn’t help but think about it since it’s what I deal with on a daily basis.

And yes, there is certainly a drawer of general hockey fonts you could pull from. A lot of 3rd party jersey makers have a set list to choose from and they can be applied pretty universally.

I think a majority of clubs would probably have no problem implementing the new characters but you may have a few instances around the league like with third jerseys and likely some of the newer clubs like Seattle that may have a fun time with a certain character or two just not working.

I think it would be cool to see honestly, the Russian factor is definitely a tough one to get around if you want to make it totally inclusive. But I think the idea highlights and celebrates how much of a global league the NHL is

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Most American and Canadian broadcasters probably cannot pronounce these names "correctly".

Former Whalers and Hurricanes radio broadcaster Chuck Kaiton studied languages and actually attempted to pronounce the names "correctly".

In Russian, Alexi Kovalev, is supposedly pronounced Ko-VA-lev.

Czech and Slovak names are quite different "correctly". So are German.

Unless a player specifically requests it, it is probably best to Anglicize the name.

Reactions: mas0764

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad