Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I don’t remember the last draft the Petes took so many gambles… you have to think they’re pretty confident on a couple of them or they’ve wasted a lot of draft picks.

My prediction:
Fitzgerald signs
Ula reports for rookie camp and signs
Hage doesn’t report
Smyth doesn’t report

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
I don’t remember the last draft the Petes took so many gambles… you have to think they’re pretty confident on a couple of them or they’ve wasted a lot of draft picks.

My prediction:
Fitzgerald signs
Ula reports for rookie camp and signs
Hage doesn’t report
Smyth doesn’t report
banking on the selling point that we won in 2023 and the fact that we have four 1st round picks from last year.

Reactions: Section5Petes

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
My bold prediction is that Alexander Hage, Colin Fitzgerald and Genc Ula all commit to the Petes👀 (Yes there might be a bit of bias here lol)

Reactions: cleodog

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
OK Petes' fans, onto the U18 draft. Mike Oke has had some great picks in past years (I'm looking at you Sam Mayer!). Here are some players I found that look like possibilities. I'm not a scout, I'm just going by the stats I found on Elite Prospects. Some U18 leagues don't publish stats but all of these players played at least some games in the OJHL, CCHL or GOJHL against 20 yo.

Jonathan Kapageridis LHD 6’ , 170lbs
Joined Cobourg Cougars of the OJHL late in the season from Don Mills Flyers U18 team
He put up 3 pts in the last reg. season game with the Cougars then added 14 pts in 17 playoff games

Curtis Allen LHD 5’10” , 161lbs
Played 6 games in the OJHL with Haliburton Huskies and also had 26 points in 34 games with the York Simcoe Express U18 team.
He put up 33 pts in 36 games with the Barrie U16 team the previous season.

James McMurray LW/C 5’7” , 150lbs​

Played 3 games in the OJHL with Lindsay Muskies and also had 47 points in 34 games with the Peterborough Petes U18 team.
He put up 36 pts in 36 games with the North Central U16 team the previous season.

Nolan Keeler LW/C 5’10” , 150lbs​

Played 6 games in the OJHL with Mississauga Chargers and also played with the Toronto Marlies U18 team (stats not published).
He put up 37 pts in 36 games with the Halton U16 team the previous season.

Dylan Turcotte LW 6’1” , 161lbs​

Played 2 games in the CCHL with Ottawa Jr Senators and also played with the Ottawa Jr Senators U18 team scoring 49 points in 30 games.
He put up 63 pts in 29 games with the Gloucester U16 team the previous season.

Zach Venance RW 6’ , 165lbs​

Played 8 games in the CCHL with Rockland and also played with the Ottawa Myers Auto U18 team scoring 42 points in 29 games.
He put up 19 pts in 42 games with the Renfrew U18 team the previous season.

Ricky Wilson LW 6’ , 181lbs​

Played 3 games in the CCHL with Rockland and also played with the Ottawa Myers Auto U18 team scoring 25 points in 24 games.
He put up 28 pts in 40 games with the Ottawa Jr. Senators U18 team the previous season.

Brandt Whitelaw LD 6’2” , 172lbs​

Played 6 games in the CCHL with Pembroke and also played with the Ottawa Valley U18 team scoring 15 points in 25 games.
He put up 6 pts in 9 games with the Peterborough U16 team the previous season.

Kolton Osipenko LD 6’2” , 161lbs​

Played 1 games in the CCHL with Renfrew and also played in the EOJHL (Jr. C) with the Valley Timberwolves scoring 6 points in 39 games.
He put up 21 pts in 29 games with the Ottawa Valley Silver 7s U16 team the previous season.

Devon Ferroni LHD 6’1” , 172lbs​

Played 3 games in the GOJHL with Kitchener-Waterloo and also had 26 points in 34 games with the Hamilton Steel U18 team.
He put up 16 pts in 33 games with the Hamilton U16 team the previous season.

Cooper Drennan RW 5’9” , 165lbs​

Played 43 games in the GOJHL with Pelham and had 24 points.
He played on Toronto Marlies U16 team with Joseph Cadorin the previous season (no stats published).

Jake Salvatore RW 6’2” , 185lbs​

Played only 1 game in the GOJHL with St. Catharines but put up 52 pts in 34 games with the Southern Tier Admirals U18 team.
He put up 47 pts in 36 games with the Southern Tier Admirals U16 team the previous season.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
By the sounds of this article, looks like the Petes are off to a pretty decent start! Lots of recruitment left to go, especially with Hage, but the Petes have a great program to offer and it's seemingly only getting better

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
OK Petes' fans, onto the U18 draft. Mike Oke has had some great picks in past years (I'm looking at you Sam Mayer!). Here are some players I found that look like possibilities. I'm not a scout, I'm just going by the stats I found on Elite Prospects. Some U18 leagues don't publish stats but all of these players played at least some games in the OJHL, CCHL or GOJHL against 20 yo.

Joined Cobourg Cougars of the OJHL late in the season from Don Mills Flyers U18 team
He put up 3 pts in the last reg. season game with the Cougars then added 14 pts in 17 playoff games

Played 6 games in the OJHL with Haliburton Huskies and also had 26 points in 34 games with the York Simcoe Express U18 team.

Played 3 games in the OJHL with Lindsay Muskies and also had 47 points in 34 games with the Peterborough Petes U18 team.
He put up 36 pts in 36 games with the North Central U16 team the previous season.

Played 6 games in the OJHL with Mississauga Chargers and also played with the Toronto Marlies U18 team (stats not published).

Played 2 games in the CCHL with Ottawa Jr Senators and also played with the Ottawa Jr Senators U18 team scoring 49 points in 30 games.

Played 8 games in the CCHL with Rockland and also played with the Ottawa Myers Auto U18 team scoring 42 points in 29 games.

Played 3 games in the CCHL with Rockland and also played with the Ottawa Myers Auto U18 team scoring 25 points in 24 games.
He put up 28 pts in 40 games with the Ottawa Jr. Senators U18 team the previous season.

Played 6 games in the CCHL with Pembroke and also played with the Ottawa Valley U18 team scoring 15 points in 25 games.

Played 1 games in the CCHL with Renfrew and also played in the EOJHL (Jr. C) with the Valley Timberwolves scoring 6 points in 39 games.
He put up 21 pts in 29 games with the Ottawa Valley Silver 7s U16 team the previous season.

Played 3 games in the GOJHL with Kitchener-Waterloo and also had 26 points in 34 games with the Hamilton Steel U18 team.

He played on Toronto Marlies U16 team with Joseph Cadorin the previous season (no stats published).

Played only 1 game in the GOJHL with St. Catharines but put up 52 pts in 34 games with the Southern Tier Admirals U18 team.
He put up 47 pts in 36 games with the Southern Tier Admirals U16 team the previous season.
I would like to add two names to this list

Trent Gates 07F

Ivan Mentiukov 07F (not sure if eligible?)

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
By the sounds of this article, looks like the Petes are off to a pretty decent start! Lots of recruitment left to go, especially with Hage, but the Petes have a great program to offer and it's seemingly only getting better
Article is locked behind a paywall. Able to elaborate on the details in the article?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014

I’m thinking Turcotte sounds like a Petes type of pick. Played AA in his draft year. Joins AAA U18 team and ends up leading the league in scorer. Late bloomer.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Article is locked behind a paywall. Able to elaborate on the details in the article?
Here is the full article!:

Peterborough Petes GM Mike Oke wasn’t afraid to take gambles at the OHL draft table.

He rolled the dice Friday night on the third-overall pick when they selected hometown boy Colin Fitzgerald, despite his commitment 48 hours earlier to the United States Hockey League’s Green Bay Gamblers. They took another chance in the sixth round on Saturday when they selected a player who might have also been a first-round selection except for his intentions to explore options outside the OHL.

Had Vaughan Kings centre Alexander Hage committed to the OHL prior to the draft, he may have joined his brother Michael Hage as a first-round OHL selection. The Kitchener Rangers took his brother two years ago despite Michael announcing his intention to play for the USHL’s Chicago Steel in hopes of landing an NCAA scholarship.

It’s likely that because his brother followed through on his promise to join the USHL, teams steered clear of Alexander in the draft’s early rounds. Alexander is a five-foot-eight, 148-pound Mississauga native who had 21 goals and 33 assists for 54 points in 45 games with Vaughan, the top-ranked U16 team in Ontario all season until their 1-0 loss in the OHL Cup Showcase final to the Oakville Rangers.

“He’s a highly, highly skilled player,” Oke said. “He’s a player who has different options available to him as well. If he comes to play in the OHL he’s more than capable of playing at this level. When he was still available at that point in the draft, it was a no-brainer for us."

“We’ve already talked to him and he sounds very appreciative of us selecting him. We’re looking forward to having some conversations with him in the very near future.”

Like Fitzgerald, Oke said they hope to sell Hage on their track record under head coach Rob Wilson of developing players and winning championships.

“Alexander is very creative offensively and is very dynamic,” said Oke. “The Vaughan Kings had a very deep team, but he was certainly one of their more skilled players.”

After selecting Fitzgerald and Barrie Jr. Colts Blake Gowan, a physical two-way defenceman, in the second round on Friday, they didn’t pick again until they had two selections in the fifth round on Saturday. There, they chose Eastern Ontario Wild centre Adam Levac 85th overall and North Jersey Avalanche defenceman Genc Ula 99th.

Levac is a five-foot-nine, 152-pound centre from Embrun who had 20 goals and 27 assists for 47 points in 35 games.

“Adam is a good skater who moves well. He still has to fill out a bit, but has a good all-around skillset and is somebody we think has the potential to be a really solid two-way player,” said Oke.

Ula is a six-foot-one, 190-pound left shot from New York state who had 11 goals and nine assists for 20 points in 22 games.

“He came onto our radar by going to a couple of the big events in the U.S. He’s got good size and is really keen. We’ve been in touch with him all winter and he’s really reinforced he wants to play in the OHL,” said Oke. “He said his No. 1 objective is to play in the OHL. He’s a big, strong, steady two-way defenceman.”

Oke said they looked for a common trait in their selections.

“One criteria we were looking for was competitive players who want to get better and we feel we’ve been able to accomplish that.”

Another pick of interest is Carolina Jr. Hurricanes forward Alexander Smyth, who they selected in the 13th round. He’s the son of former Edmonton Oilers star Ryan Smyth.

“He has a pretty good skill level. I don’t think he’s physically matured yet, he’s still growing, but we had a good talk with him and his desire is to play at the next level” said Oke. “It sounded like the way we do things in Peterborough aligned with their philosophies.”

The Petes will welcome the new draft picks at their spring development camp April 26-28 at the Memorial Centre.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Here is the full article!:

Peterborough Petes GM Mike Oke wasn’t afraid to take gambles at the OHL draft table.

He rolled the dice Friday night on the third-overall pick when they selected hometown boy Colin Fitzgerald, despite his commitment 48 hours earlier to the United States Hockey League’s Green Bay Gamblers. They took another chance in the sixth round on Saturday when they selected a player who might have also been a first-round selection except for his intentions to explore options outside the OHL.

Had Vaughan Kings centre Alexander Hage committed to the OHL prior to the draft, he may have joined his brother Michael Hage as a first-round OHL selection. The Kitchener Rangers took his brother two years ago despite Michael announcing his intention to play for the USHL’s Chicago Steel in hopes of landing an NCAA scholarship.

It’s likely that because his brother followed through on his promise to join the USHL, teams steered clear of Alexander in the draft’s early rounds. Alexander is a five-foot-eight, 148-pound Mississauga native who had 21 goals and 33 assists for 54 points in 45 games with Vaughan, the top-ranked U16 team in Ontario all season until their 1-0 loss in the OHL Cup Showcase final to the Oakville Rangers.

“He’s a highly, highly skilled player,” Oke said. “He’s a player who has different options available to him as well. If he comes to play in the OHL he’s more than capable of playing at this level. When he was still available at that point in the draft, it was a no-brainer for us."

“We’ve already talked to him and he sounds very appreciative of us selecting him. We’re looking forward to having some conversations with him in the very near future.”

Like Fitzgerald, Oke said they hope to sell Hage on their track record under head coach Rob Wilson of developing players and winning championships.

“Alexander is very creative offensively and is very dynamic,” said Oke. “The Vaughan Kings had a very deep team, but he was certainly one of their more skilled players.”

After selecting Fitzgerald and Barrie Jr. Colts Blake Gowan, a physical two-way defenceman, in the second round on Friday, they didn’t pick again until they had two selections in the fifth round on Saturday. There, they chose Eastern Ontario Wild centre Adam Levac 85th overall and North Jersey Avalanche defenceman Genc Ula 99th.

Levac is a five-foot-nine, 152-pound centre from Embrun who had 20 goals and 27 assists for 47 points in 35 games.

“Adam is a good skater who moves well. He still has to fill out a bit, but has a good all-around skillset and is somebody we think has the potential to be a really solid two-way player,” said Oke.

Ula is a six-foot-one, 190-pound left shot from New York state who had 11 goals and nine assists for 20 points in 22 games.

“He came onto our radar by going to a couple of the big events in the U.S. He’s got good size and is really keen. We’ve been in touch with him all winter and he’s really reinforced he wants to play in the OHL,” said Oke. “He said his No. 1 objective is to play in the OHL. He’s a big, strong, steady two-way defenceman.”

Oke said they looked for a common trait in their selections.

“One criteria we were looking for was competitive players who want to get better and we feel we’ve been able to accomplish that.”

Another pick of interest is Carolina Jr. Hurricanes forward Alexander Smyth, who they selected in the 13th round. He’s the son of former Edmonton Oilers star Ryan Smyth.

“He has a pretty good skill level. I don’t think he’s physically matured yet, he’s still growing, but we had a good talk with him and his desire is to play at the next level” said Oke. “It sounded like the way we do things in Peterborough aligned with their philosophies.”

The Petes will welcome the new draft picks at their spring development camp April 26-28 at the Memorial Centre.
You’re the best!

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I would like to add two names to this list

Trent Gates 07F

Ivan Mentiukov 07F (not sure if eligible?)

Nice additions
Don't know how I missed Gates and I believe that Mentiukov is eligibile.......

Players Eligible for Selection:

All U18 players not currently on a CHL Member Team Protected List who were carded with an Ontario-based U18 AAA Hockey Club or an accredited Hockey Canada sport school within the OHF, HNO or HEO in the 2023-24 playing season are eligible for the U18 Priority Selection.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
This is awesome news for Subdury and the Wolves!

PETERBOROUGH COME ON ALREADY AND START GETTING THIS DONE HERE!

Now yes I know that the consultants are currently planning locations and once they are done will present them to council to vote on and approve to start the new arena but this process needs to be sped up. Can’t have Brantford, a 1 year old franchise beat us to a new facility. Peterborough needs to get going here

Last edited:
Reactions: frontsfan67

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
Nice additions
Don't know how I missed Gates and I believe that Mentiukov is eligibile.......

Players Eligible for Selection:

All U18 players not currently on a CHL Member Team Protected List who were carded with an Ontario-based U18 AAA Hockey Club or an accredited Hockey Canada sport school within the OHF, HNO or HEO in the 2023-24 playing season are eligible for the U18 Priority Selection.
Can someone tell me when the U18 draft will take place?

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
This is awesome news for Subdury and the Wolves!

PETERBOROUGH COME ON ALREADY AND START GETTING THIS DONE HERE!

Now yes I know that the consultants are currently planning locations and once they are done will present them to council to vote on and approve to start the new arena but this process needs to be sped up. Can’t have Brantford, a 1 year old franchise beat us to a new facility. Peterborough needs to get going here
It’s too bad they didn’t get this going a year or two ago and have a new arena ready to go and host the memorial cup when it’s the OHL’s turn again. Petes would have had a good team. It’s laughable they are taking this long to scout out locations anyone who’s lived in ptbo long enough knows the only locations it can go lol

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Turcotte could be a nice piece. Works perfectly with the '07 core, has some size and has clearly found his game a bit later in his career. Here's hoping it continues into the OHL.

Martin is a monster at 6'4 and is also an '07. Looks like the prototypical Petes dman.

It may not have been Brady Martin, BUT, the Petes get an '07 Martin in the end:laugh:

GoPetesGo

Feb 3, 2017
IMG_4144.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad