Peterborough Petes 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Being completely objective (i.e. treating it like a fantasy team, not like actual humans...), the only Petes 1997's who are worthy of an OA spot on a competing team are Spencer (TB signed, not happening), Tammela (lol), Korostelev (maybe more likely with him not being signed by Leafs) and DeNoble (slam dunk, it would seem).

I like Rollo, Black and Coyle but typically you'd hope for more than bottom pair D/depth forward from an overager. Smith may deserve a chance somewhere but I can't think of many times in my years watching the league that a team went with a first time starting overager in net.

Couldn't agree more but up until this season Oke has been pretty reluctant to make moves.... with our lack of picks I really can't see him shipping some out for an OA upgrade. If we start with Koro, DeNoble and Black as our three that's pretty solid.

Honestly, I think Korostelev will be back now because I just don't see him being good enough for the KHL.... and the team that takes him as a re-entry has a new three year window to sign him. Why start the clock on his contract right away?

Edit: not so fast apparently.... Korostelev listed on CSKA roster on KHL website... along with 29 other forwards but interesting nonetheless.

Last edited:

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Petes announce they will open the season at home against the Erie Otters on Sept.21.

Hockey canada also announced its rosters for their annual goaltending camp and both Hunter Jones and Dylan Wells were selected. Congrats to both.... next season is going to be fun to watch with these two sharing the crease.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Foster joins Frontenacs....hoped Petes could have found a way to get this guy on the bench tough loss for sure...watch Fronts d game improve immensely

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Couldn't agree more but up until this season Oke has been pretty reluctant to make moves.... with our lack of picks I really can't see him shipping some out for an OA upgrade. If we start with Koro, DeNoble and Black as our three that's pretty solid.

Honestly, I think Korostelev will be back now because I just don't see him being good enough for the KHL.... and the team that takes him as a re-entry has a new three year window to sign him. Why start the clock on his contract right away?

Edit: not so fast apparently.... Korostelev listed on CSKA roster on KHL website... along with 29 other forwards but interesting nonetheless.

Apparently KHL teams list every player that they have the rights to. Nothing to worry about yet

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Apparently KHL teams list every player that they have the rights to. Nothing to worry about yet

I did see that.... encouraging sign for now!!

Petes will only have four "three games on three nights" this season.... not bad compared to Oshawa's 9.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Congrats to Dylan Wells and Hunter Jones, both taking part in the Team Canada Program of Excellence goaltending camp this weekend. Petes fans should feel pretty good about the goaltending situation for the next few years. I'm sure Jones is hoping to get into as many games as possible this season. I'm hoping he gets into a bunch of games between mid December and January 7th (nudge, nudge, wink, wink). He will probably need a little rest at the start of the season after spending part of his August in the Czech Republic (more nudge, more wink)

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
D upgrade

Being completely objective (i.e. treating it like a fantasy team, not like actual humans...), the only Petes 1997's who are worthy of an OA spot on a competing team are Spencer (TB signed, not happening), Tammela (lol), Korostelev (maybe more likely with him not being signed by Leafs) and DeNoble (slam dunk, it would seem).

I like Rollo, Black and Coyle but typically you'd hope for more than bottom pair D/depth forward from an overager. Smith may deserve a chance somewhere but I can't think of many times in my years watching the league that a team went with a first time starting overager in net.

I agree that ideally the Petes should have a stronger OA on the backend. If we take a look at teams that will be rebuilding and moving older players, Erie would be on that list. If the Petes could swing a deal with Erie to acquire Jordan Sambrook (a good sized 98 Dman who is solid at both ends of the ice and is a right handed shot, that they could really use) that would be great. I don't think that a trade to acquire a top OA dman will be as easy to make because most teams won't want an OA in return. They'll want young players and picks.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I agree that ideally the Petes should have a stronger OA on the backend. If we take a look at teams that will be rebuilding and moving older players, Erie would be on that list. If the Petes could swing a deal with Erie to acquire Jordan Sambrook (a good sized 98 Dman who is solid at both ends of the ice and is a right handed shot, that they could really use) that would be great. I don't think that a trade to acquire a top OA dman will be as easy to make because most teams won't want an OA in return. They'll want young players and picks.

The only situation that stands out too me is North Bay. They could potentially move Shankar or Shoemaker....(but the reviews on those two are pretty harsh) I could see them wanting Smith to have a veteran to split the games.

Couldn't agree more regarding Sambrook.

Last edited:

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Congrats to both Dylan Wells and Jonathan Ang for making the team Canada WJC summer camp roster. This should be a great experience for both players and great for their development as well.

Declan Chisholm was also selected to attend U18 hockey Canada camp. Glad to see scouts took notice of his big second half and playoffs...

Shocked to see no Cam Supryka on the U17 list... kid has the talent to be there, no doubt.

Does anyone know if USA hockey does anything like the U17 camp Canada does? Surely Robertson would be attending if so...

Last edited:

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Hockey Canada vs USA Hockey

Congrats to both Dylan Wells and Jonathan Ang for making the team Canada WJC summer camp roster. This should be a great experience for both players and great for their development as well.

Declan Chisholm was also selected to attend U18 hockey Canada camp. Glad to see scouts took notice of his big second half and playoffs...

Shocked to see no Cam Supryka on the U17 list... kid has the talent to be there, no doubt.

Does anyone know if USA hockey does anything like the U17 camp Canada does? Surely Robertson would be attending if so...

USA Hockey seems to shun CHL players
The U17 roster was already named in April.
"The 23 players will compete for the U.S. National Under-17 Team during the 2017-18 season.

The U.S. National Under-17 Team will play in the United States Hockey League, the only Tier I junior hockey league in the United States, as well as select competition against teams in the North American Hockey League and Minnesota Elite League. It will also compete in three international tournaments, including the 2017 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, 2017 Four Nations Tournament and 2018 Five Nations Tournament."

Interesting that the team includes OHL draft picks:
Jack Hughes (1st - MISS)
John Beecher (5th- SSM)
Domenick Fensore (8th - WIN)
Owen Lindmark (10th - OSH)
Case McCarthy (9th - SAR)
Alex Turcotte (2nd - SAG)
Alex Vlasic (4th - LON)
Marshall Warren (11th - MISS)
Danny Weight (9th - LON)
Trevor Zegras (4th - MISS)

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Crotty

The only situation that stands out too me is North Bay. They could potentially move Shankar or Shoemaker....(but the reviews on those two are pretty harsh) I could see them wanting Smith to have a veteran to split the games.

Couldn't agree more regarding Sambrook.

On the topic of an upgrade on the D, does anyone think there is any chance that Cameron Crotty gets drafted this weekend (projected in 3rd/4th round) and his NHL team suggests that he play in the OHL next year instead of attending Boston U?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
On the topic of an upgrade on the D, does anyone think there is any chance that Cameron Crotty gets drafted this weekend (projected in 3rd/4th round) and his NHL team suggests that he play in the OHL next year instead of attending Boston U?

Seems like a tough sell too me. When players go to college if gives NHL teams a longer look before deciding if they want to sign them or not....

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Congrats to both Zach Gallant and Cole Fraser on their selections by the Detroit Red Wings today.

Interestingly Nikita Korostelev was not re-drafted. I believe this limits his options for next season to KHL, AHL deal, Petes.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Who might the Petes consider drafting in the CHL import draft next week?
Here is a list of potential import Dmen who were draft in the NHL entry draft:

Rnd # NHL Player Pos Country Ht Wt League Team
1 3 DAL MIRO HEISKANEN D FIN 6' 0" 172 FINLAND HIFK
1 15 VGK ERIK BRANNSTROM D SWE 5' 9" 179 SWEDEN HV 71
1 17 TOR TIMOTHY LILJEGREN D SWE 5' 11" 188 SWEDEN ROGLE
1 18 BOS URHO VAAKANAINEN D FIN 6' 1" 188 FINLAND JYP
2 38 DET GUSTAV LINDSTROM D SWE 6' 2" 187 SWEDEN-2 ALMTUNA
2 44 ARI FILIP WESTERLUND D SWE 5' 11" 174 SWEDEN FROLUNDA
3 89 BUF OSKARI LAAKSONEN D FIN 6' 1" 165 FINLAND-JR. ILVES JR.
4 100 DET MALTE SETKOV D DNK 6' 2" 165 SWEDEN-JR. MALMO JR.
4 119 CHI ROOPE LAAVAINEN D FIN 6' 1" 200 FINLAND-JR. JOKERIT JR.
4 120 WSH TOBIAS GEISSER D CHE 6' 4" 200 SWISS-2 ZUG ACADEMY
5 135 VAN K. GUNNARSSON D SWE 6' 1" 205 SWEDEN FROLUNDA
5 139 NYI SEBASTIAN AHO D SWE 5' 10" 176 SWEDEN SKELLEFTEA
5 145 NYR CALLE SJALIN D SWE 6' 1" 179 SWEDEN-3 OSTERSUND
5 150 CHI JAKUB GALVAS D CZE 5' 11" 161 CZREP OLOMOUC
5 151 WSH S. WALFRIDSSON D SWE 6' 0" 194 SWEDEN-JR. MODO JR.
6 186 PIT ANTTI PALOJARVI D FIN 6' 1" 176 FINLAND-JR. LUKKO JR.
7 195 BOS VICTOR BERGLUND D SWE 6' 0" 165 SWEDEN-JR. MODO JR.
7 197 CAR VILLE RASANEN D FIN 6' 1" 167 FINLAND-2 JOKIPOJAT
7 205 NJD YEGOR ZAITSEV D RUS 6' 0" 180 RUSSIA-2 BALASHIKHA
7 206 STL ANTON ANDERSSON D SWE 6' 3" 216 SWEDEN-JR. LULEA JR.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Who might the Petes consider drafting in the CHL import draft next week?
Here is a list of potential import Dmen who were draft in the NHL entry draft:

Rnd # NHL Player Pos Country Ht Wt League Team
1 3 DAL MIRO HEISKANEN D FIN 6' 0" 172 FINLAND HIFK
1 15 VGK ERIK BRANNSTROM D SWE 5' 9" 179 SWEDEN HV 71
1 17 TOR TIMOTHY LILJEGREN D SWE 5' 11" 188 SWEDEN ROGLE
1 18 BOS URHO VAAKANAINEN D FIN 6' 1" 188 FINLAND JYP
2 38 DET GUSTAV LINDSTROM D SWE 6' 2" 187 SWEDEN-2 ALMTUNA
2 44 ARI FILIP WESTERLUND D SWE 5' 11" 174 SWEDEN FROLUNDA
3 89 BUF OSKARI LAAKSONEN D FIN 6' 1" 165 FINLAND-JR. ILVES JR.
4 100 DET MALTE SETKOV D DNK 6' 2" 165 SWEDEN-JR. MALMO JR.
4 119 CHI ROOPE LAAVAINEN D FIN 6' 1" 200 FINLAND-JR. JOKERIT JR.
4 120 WSH TOBIAS GEISSER D CHE 6' 4" 200 SWISS-2 ZUG ACADEMY
5 135 VAN K. GUNNARSSON D SWE 6' 1" 205 SWEDEN FROLUNDA
5 139 NYI SEBASTIAN AHO D SWE 5' 10" 176 SWEDEN SKELLEFTEA
5 145 NYR CALLE SJALIN D SWE 6' 1" 179 SWEDEN-3 OSTERSUND
5 150 CHI JAKUB GALVAS D CZE 5' 11" 161 CZREP OLOMOUC
5 151 WSH S. WALFRIDSSON D SWE 6' 0" 194 SWEDEN-JR. MODO JR.
6 186 PIT ANTTI PALOJARVI D FIN 6' 1" 176 FINLAND-JR. LUKKO JR.
7 195 BOS VICTOR BERGLUND D SWE 6' 0" 165 SWEDEN-JR. MODO JR.
7 197 CAR VILLE RASANEN D FIN 6' 1" 167 FINLAND-2 JOKIPOJAT
7 205 NJD YEGOR ZAITSEV D RUS 6' 0" 180 RUSSIA-2 BALASHIKHA
7 206 STL ANTON ANDERSSON D SWE 6' 3" 216 SWEDEN-JR. LULEA JR.

Maybe Palojarvi Pits pick isn't an old scout with Pitt now? And Petes pick late so may be a good spot don't think any swedes will come and we need a dman so I'd take him!

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Maybe Palojarvi Pits pick isn't an old scout with Pitt now? And Petes pick late so may be a good spot don't think any swedes will come and we need a dman so I'd take him!

Sounds good too me!

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Petes Import Draft options

What about the Swiss Dman TOBIAS GEISSER ?
I don't think Petes' fans would mix him up with the last Swiss player playing in Peterborough, LINO MARTSCHINI!
Lino is now 24 years old, 5'6" and 140lbs
Tobias is 18 years old, 6'4" and 205 lbs.
Lino is playing pro hockey in Switzerland and Tobias actually played part of the season on the same team. Maybe Lino could speak to this kid and tell him how great it was playing for the Petes. Apparently the kid's biggest weakness is that he plays soft despite his size. If I'm Washington, I would rather have him playing in the CHL to toughen him up than another year of playing in Switzerland.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
What about the Swiss Dman TOBIAS GEISSER ?
I don't think Petes' fans would mix him up with the last Swiss player playing in Peterborough, LINO MARTSCHINI!
Lino is now 24 years old, 5'6" and 140lbs
Tobias is 18 years old, 6'4" and 205 lbs.
Lino is playing pro hockey in Switzerland and Tobias actually played part of the season on the same team. Maybe Lino could speak to this kid and tell him how great it was playing for the Petes. Apparently the kid's biggest weakness is that he plays soft despite his size. If I'm Washington, I would rather have him playing in the CHL to toughen him up than another year of playing in Switzerland.

I expect Geisser to be gone by the Petes pick is all

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Do you guys think we will make two picks or just one? Oke didn't seem to like svoboda for whatever reason.... he didn't play very much at all.

I'd look at Kristian Tanus in round 2 if they do plan on taking a F. His brother was a solid Import for us.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Do you guys think we will make two picks or just one? Oke didn't seem to like svoboda for whatever reason.... he didn't play very much at all.

I'd look at Kristian Tanus in round 2 if they do plan on taking a F. His brother was a solid Import for us.

im guessing 1 pick..svoboda was a 17yr old coming to new country, league billeted i think he will be much better next year big body he'll be ok and its a known...so many are unknowns so im guessin 1 pick as a dman.....i hope!!

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
5 points in his final 38 games. Healthy scratch to finish the year.

I imagine Svoboda will be back, but he obviously needs to be a lot better.

I'd rather see them gamble on some NHL pick in the 2nd round. What Svoboda provided last year would be easily replaced without using one of your European spots. The Petes lack tradeable assets and need to find cheaper ways to improve, European draft would be one way to try and do it.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
5 points in his final 38 games. Healthy scratch to finish the year.

I imagine Svoboda will be back, but he obviously needs to be a lot better.

I'd rather see them gamble on some NHL pick in the 2nd round. What Svoboda provided last year would be easily replaced without using one of your European spots. The Petes lack tradeable assets and need to find cheaper ways to improve, European draft would be one way to try and do it.

yes svoboda does need to be better this year but they wont be in the mix at their pick for an nhl 2nd rounder i dont think. I disagree they dont have tradeable assets at all, they have drafted very well lately id say. 5 guys from their 99' ohl draft were taken in the nhl draft this weekend thats pretty darn good. They have nhl picks misley, crotty as well as world jr a pick bobby dow and goalie smith to move if they can. Ive heard lots of interest in crotty from the londons of the world and dow will play somewhere in ohl next year id say if not with petes they can move him for sure he is headed to tampas camp. lets hope mr oke can swing a few things with these assets but i think theyve done very well lately

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
yes svoboda does need to be better this year but they wont be in the mix at their pick for an nhl 2nd rounder i dont think. I disagree they dont have tradeable assets at all, they have drafted very well lately id say. 5 guys from their 99' ohl draft were taken in the nhl draft this weekend thats pretty darn good. They have nhl picks misley, crotty as well as world jr a pick bobby dow and goalie smith to move if they can. Ive heard lots of interest in crotty from the londons of the world and dow will play somewhere in ohl next year id say if not with petes they can move him for sure he is headed to tampas camp. lets hope mr oke can swing a few things with these assets but i think theyve done very well lately

Draft an NHL pick with their 2nd round European selection, not draft a 2nd round NHL pick.

If London is one of the only teams Crotty would be willing to go to, that doesn't really make him a valuable tradeable asset. Same goes for Misley, Cockerill, Hutsko, Ellis, Cairns, Deveaux, Boyko etc. The Petes have had a number of college bound kids over the past few years and haven't traded any. Maybe they will this year, but if the market is one or two of the top teams, don't expect much in return.

Smith isn't getting you anything of value in return, if anything at all. A mid-late/conditional pick is possible, but being waived is more likely. Nothing thats going to improve the Petes.

Dow's been legitimately cut from the OHL 3 straight years. Im sure someone would trade for him as he seems to have figured something out over the past year, but again, what are you expecting in return for a 19 year old whose never played in the league thats going to improve the team? Having not been drafted this past weekend, Dow might be better off going to college.

They lack high draft picks after last years deadline, have only 5 defencemen signed and 11/12 forwards depending on OAs/Svoboda. They lack assets aside from college committed kids.

Svoboda was a 4th line/healthy scratch 2nd half last year, I see no reason not to try and improve on him. Especially when it costs you nothing.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Draft an NHL pick with their 2nd round European selection, not draft a 2nd round NHL pick.

If London is one of the only teams Crotty would be willing to go to, that doesn't really make him a valuable tradeable asset. Same goes for Misley, Cockerill, Hutsko, Ellis, Cairns, Deveaux, Boyko etc. The Petes have had a number of college bound kids over the past few years and haven't traded any. Maybe they will this year, but if the market is one or two of the top teams, don't expect much in return.

Smith isn't getting you anything of value in return, if anything at all. A mid-late/conditional pick is possible, but being waived is more likely. Nothing thats going to improve the Petes.

Dow's been legitimately cut from the OHL 3 straight years. Im sure someone would trade for him as he seems to have figured something out over the past year, but again, what are you expecting in return for a 19 year old whose never played in the league thats going to improve the team? Having not been drafted this past weekend, Dow might be better off going to college.

They lack high draft picks after last years deadline, have only 5 defencemen signed and 11/12 forwards depending on OAs/Svoboda. They lack assets aside from college committed kids.

Svoboda was a 4th line/healthy scratch 2nd half last year, I see no reason not to try and improve on him. Especially when it costs you nothing.

Hey im all for getting a better player than svoboda if they can, just dont think its possible from where they are picking thats all. The noshow players i mentioned i did for a reason as all the others, although good picks, have no interest in the OHL at all with any team. Petes are handicaped as they cant seem to get commits from any impactful US players which would supplement the roster and make them deep enough to have lots of assets....pretty much same as kingston, ottawa, sudbury, north bay etc smaller market teams who cant attract big free agents or US players. therefore the draft has to be good but doesnt allow enough of those extra bodies to use as assets i believe. owen sound had 5 99' nhl picks this year but i believe they got an extra 1st rounder that year from london getting mete from them if im correct and one of londons, golden, wasnt drafted by them originally. i just think with the circumstances the group has done pretty well in last few years drafting, if gogolev steps up itll be huge. Tammela was a good player but was injured maybe not very good background done but he was a top player that was gone the entire season. so do you think theyve drafted poor or where do you think the problem is that they "have no assets"? how should they have gained them? And I'm not being confrontational just asking your thoughts

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad