Peterborough Petes 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Took in the practises this morning... will comment on some players I liked..

Supryka - terrific skater, good first pass. Not sure why he lasted as long as he did....

Robertson - super small, but so much skill and speed. Seemed pretty feisty in the 1on1 drill too. Came away impressed.

Brady MacDonald - very mobile for a guy 6'4. Right shot D with size.... keep an eye on him.

Davis Pennington - great player. Would be a huge signing and would really make up for the lack of a 2nd round pick in the past draft. Skating, hands... he's got it all. Think Timms but a bit bigger.

John Parker-Jones: This kid is huge, like really big and he can skate. Nice hands for a guy his size as well.... he tried the Korostelev i between the legs move in practise and almost put it top shelf. Very intriguing player.... he's listed as a F here at camp but I hear he played both in Jr.B last season.

None of the goalies really
impressed me at all outside of Hunter Jones who's already locked in as next seasons backup.

Returning players McNamara and Denault were solid and a step ahead of the rest it seemed.... which they should be.

Chisholm is a stud. Top 4 minutes hands down next season.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Dante Sheriff put on a clinic in the scrimmages this evening. Really liked him along with Beraldo and Falls.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Dante Sheriff put on a clinic in the scrimmages this evening. Really liked him along with Beraldo and Falls.

totally agree with this.. even sundays games online best players besides chisholm/supryka, i'd like to have all 3 next year on the team. Some great young depth coming up for sure cant wait already

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I really liked both Supryka and Pennington. I know it's risky but I'd try to sign them both.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
I really liked both Supryka and Pennington. I know it's risky but I'd try to sign them both.

supryka will be done for sure likely today id say, with beraldo in wings not sure theyd sign pennington but if he leaves he may never be back ..big boy decisions!

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
Pennington looked good. If he were smart he'd want to play OHL, because it's suited for his style. He could also get good minutes with three veteran defenceman leaving.

If he's the real deal he should be signed ahead of Supryka, but I doubt it happens. Petes don't often make the right decision.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
supryka will be done for sure likely today id say, with beraldo in wings not sure theyd sign pennington but if he leaves he may never be back ..big boy decisions!

Big boy decisions indeed.... I think it's time to take the risk here and not always play it safe. He's going to be a good one.... he's as good as Beraldo if not better and a year younger.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Big boy decisions indeed.... I think it's time to take the risk here and not always play it safe. He's going to be a good one.... he's as good as Beraldo if not better and a year younger.

That extra year makes such a big difference when comparing the prospects this weekend. I'd have to agree with some of the comments on here....

Defense
Chisholm(2000) will be top 4 next season and will likely be paired with Timms on the 1st PP unit; hopefully he'll get a little bigger and stronger this summer so he doesn't get over-matched physically as much.

Supryka(2001) reminds me of Chisholm with his skating ability......hopefully he develops as quickly as Chisholm has.

I really like Pennington(2001); a couple of solid body checks on rushes in the final scrimmage of the camp and a solid all-round Dman.

Beraldo (2000) looked good. He skates well and hopefully puts on a few more pounds this summer.

I agree with you "Petes", Brady Macdonald(2000) is an intriguing prospect great size but will need to get heavier and stronger.

So what will the defense look like going into next season.......

D:
Timms - Fraser
Chisholm - Black
McNamara - ?

IMO, Pennington won't sign unless he's part of the top 6. He won't be satisfied with playing most of his games with the Muskies or rotating in as the 6th dman every other game. I think Oke should sign him if he can.
Supryka is a year younger than Beraldo and Macdonald but who is most ready to play regular minutes in the OHL (my guess is Beraldo)
Of course with the depth the Petes have at forward, Oke should pick a dman in the CHL import draft.

Some tough decisions ahead on the back end, but they do have some nice pieces that could develop into great players in this league.

Forwards
Robertson(2001) is fun to watch; despite his lack of size he possesses great speed and skill. If he could have a rookie year next season, similar to SDA's, I'd take that.

Falls(2000) showed some good flashes this weekend but was only able to put up 3 points in 39 games this year with the Jr. Canadiens in the OJHL, which is somewhat concerning. He is also a 2016 draft pick.

I really like Panetta's(2001) game. Not a very tall kid, but he has great energy, plays well in his own end and showed some offensive ability as well. He probably doesn't crack the Petes lineup this year, but after a year in Cobourg, Trenton or Lindsay, he will be ready to make an impact with the Petes.

Stavrou(2000) and Sherriff(1999) stood out quite often in the scrimmages, but they are older guys who played GOJHL last season.

I was hoping I'd see more from Horsley(2001). He was too inconsistent for me.

Denault(2000) will be a great 4th line energy guy for the Petes this season.

I was disappointed that I wasn't able to see......
- Eric Conley(2000), big winger who looks like he may be a late bloomer with some upside
- Isaac Emon(2000) a gifted forward with some size
- Tyler Paquette(2000) a Penn State commit who would be the steal of the draft if the Petes could ever get him to sign

I'm sure we will get to see most of these guys at the main camp at the end of August.

So what will the forward crew look like for next season.....

Timleck – Paquette - Denoble
Gogolev - SDA - Svoboda
Ang - Gallant - Coyle
Denault - Robertson - Isaacson

Pretty deep up front.......I'm assuming that Rollo and Smith are dealt somewhere else as overagers.......I do hate to lose Rollo. I really love what he brings.

In goal......Wells & Jones......pretty solid tandem

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
That extra year makes such a big difference when comparing the prospects this weekend. I'd have to agree with some of the comments on here....

Defense
Chisholm(2000) will be top 4 next season and will likely be paired with Timms on the 1st PP unit; hopefully he'll get a little bigger and stronger this summer so he doesn't get over-matched physically as much.

Supryka(2001) reminds me of Chisholm with his skating ability......hopefully he develops as quickly as Chisholm has.

I really like Pennington(2001); a couple of solid body checks on rushes in the final scrimmage of the camp and a solid all-round Dman.

Beraldo (2000) looked good. He skates well and hopefully puts on a few more pounds this summer.

I agree with you "Petes", Brady Macdonald(2000) is an intriguing prospect great size but will need to get heavier and stronger.

D:
Timms - Fraser
Chisholm - Black
McNamara - ?

IMO, Pennington won't sign unless he's part of the top 6. He won't be satisfied with playing most of his games with the Muskies or rotating in as the 6th dman every other game. I think Oke should sign him if he can.
Supryka is a year younger than Beraldo and Macdonald but who is most ready to play regular minutes in the OHL (my guess is Beraldo)
Of course with the depth the Petes have at forward, Oke should pick a dman in the CHL import draft.

Some tough decisions ahead on the back end, but they do have some nice pieces that could develop into great players in this league.

Forwards
Robertson(2001) is fun to watch; despite his lack of size he possesses great speed and skill. If he could have a rookie year next season, similar to SDA's, I'd take that.

Falls(2000) showed some good flashes this weekend but was only able to put up 3 points in 39 games this year with the Jr. Canadiens in the OJHL, which is somewhat concerning. He is also a 2016 draft pick.

I really like Panetta's(2001) game. Not a very tall kid, but he has great energy, plays well in his own end and showed some offensive ability as well. He probably doesn't crack the Petes lineup this year, but after a year in Cobourg, Trenton or Lindsay, he will be ready to make an impact with the Petes.

Stavrou(2000) and Sherriff(1999) stood out quite often in the scrimmages, but they are older guys who played GOJHL last season.

- Eric Conley(2000), big winger who looks like he may be a late bloomer with some upside
- Tyler Paquette(2000) a Penn State commit who would be the steal of the draft if the Petes could ever get him to sign

I'm sure we will get to see most of these guys at the main camp at the end of August.

Gogolev - SDA - Svoboda
Ang - Gallant - Coyle

Pretty deep up front.......I'm assuming that Rollo and Smith are dealt somewhere else as overagers.......I do hate to lose Rollo. I really love what he brings.

In goal......Wells & Jones......pretty solid tandem

I wouldn't expect Coyle back.

With the way Supryka played there's no way he isn't on the OHL roster. That's what makes the Pennington decision so tough.... they'll likely only get 2 out of this group: Pennington, Supryka, Beraldo and MacDonald. If I was a betting man based off of past Petes roster decisions I say they play it safe and go with Supryka and Beraldo and then like you said draft a European defenseman.

Despite the fact they didn't play I imagine both Emon and Conley are favourites to win a forward spot at main camp.... although, I think Parker-Jones could make it if they get him to main camp. (Hear he has multiple main camp offers.) I'm interested to see what happens with the euro draft... Jody didn't play Svoboda at all this season and I wonder if that's just due to him trying to compete or if he just isn't a big fan... if it were up to me, I'd trade for the rights to guelphs Michnac since they'll have to release him.... then draft a euro defenseman in round 1.

DeNoble - Paquette - Timleck
Michnac - Gallant - Ang
Isaacson - SDA - Gogolev
Emon - Robertson - Conley
Denault

Chisholm-Timms
Black-Fraser
Supryka/Pennington - Euro

Wells
Jones

It'll never happen but it's nice to dream....

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Kyle Jenkins has cashed in his OHL education package and will attend Wilfred Laurier U.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017

Defense

D:
Timms - Fraser
Chisholm - Black
McNamara - ?

Forwards

Gogolev - SDA - Svoboda
Ang - Gallant - Coyle

In goal......Wells & Jones......pretty solid tandem[/QUOTe

Great problems to have!! Think Petes have turned a corner

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
Rumor in Sudbury thread is Kurtis Foster heading to the Wolves.

Makes sense if Grimes and Verners contracts are renewed.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Rumor in Sudbury thread is Kurtis Foster heading to the Wolves.

Makes sense if Grimes and Verners contracts are renewed.

I sure hope this isn't true..... IMO Foster should be on the bench over Verner.

From what I hear, the defenseman sure love having Foster around during practise.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
I sure hope this isn't true..... IMO Foster should be on the bench over Verner.

From what I hear, the defenseman sure love having Foster around during practise.

No question Foster was a huge factor for this team from what I've heard he is loved by the team. He's an assistant so he can be a big brother type fun guy but guys really respected him I'm told. Kinda wished his role was larger than assistant to be honest but if he leaves it's a massive loss IMO.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
No question Foster was a huge factor for this team from what I've heard he is loved by the team. He's an assistant so he can be a big brother type fun guy but guys really respected him I'm told. Kinda wished his role was larger than assistant to be honest but if he leaves it's a massive loss IMO.

I don't think there's a limit on number of guys on the bench.... step up and pay him assistant money Oke!

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Seems Kurtis foster to the wolves along with Cory Stillman. Official at 1030 am.

Last edited:

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Sounds like the Petes are indeed losing Foster to Sudbury.... big loss.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
The deadline has passed for the Leafs to sign Nikita Korostelev. He will officially re-enter the 2017 draft.... in my opinion this increases the odds of him returning as an OA next season. What do you guys think?

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
I wonder if the team intends on replacing him or just going with the status quo.... use the extra money to try and lure Pennington/Crotty/Misley ... :sarcasm:

Have you seen anything official regarding Foster leaving? I'd say there is 0 chance of either misley or crotty ever coming to Petes. In the past NHL teams wanted most new picks playing CHL but seems nowadays they just accept where they are already headed and keep tabs on development wherever they are. I'd take that $500 salary of Fosters (kiddin) and get Wells some psych help from the shellshock he had over the season with the number of shots haha!!! gonna get worse if they lost Foster!

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
The deadline has passed for the Leafs to sign Nikita Korostelev. He will officially re-enter the 2017 draft.... in my opinion this increases the odds of him returning as an OA next season. What do you guys think?
It probably depends who drafts him, but after being re-drafted the two year clock would start again and you would have to figure that any NHL team would rather have Korostelev play another year of junior rather than sign him right away.

That changes some decisions for players.......balancing the lines to spread the weapons out might look like this:

DeNoble-Paquette-Timleck
Gogolev-SDA- Korostelev
Isaacson-Gallant-Ang
Svoboda-Robertson-Denault

That would mean that Denoble, Korostelev and Black would be OA's and Coyle would be expendable and should attract interest for what he has to offer with his size, shot blocking and PK effectiveness.

Hoping Oke can target a top end Dman in the import draft. Although, drafting 43rd overall, it will be a crapshoot that he can get a defender that will have an immediate impact. He'll have to be looking around at possible trades that can help strengthen the back end. A big, mobile, stay at home dman would do the trick.

Any word on any more signings after Robertson?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
It probably depends who drafts him, but after being re-drafted the two year clock would start again and you would have to figure that any NHL team would rather have Korostelev play another year of junior rather than sign him right away.

That changes some decisions for players.......balancing the lines to spread the weapons out might look like this:

DeNoble-Paquette-Timleck
Gogolev-SDA- Korostelev
Isaacson-Gallant-Ang
Svoboda-Robertson-Denault

That would mean that Denoble, Korostelev and Black would be OA's and Coyle would be expendable and should attract interest for what he has to offer with his size, shot blocking and PK effectiveness.

Hoping Oke can target a top end Dman in the import draft. Although, drafting 43rd overall, it will be a crapshoot that he can get a defender that will have an immediate impact. He'll have to be looking around at possible trades that can help strengthen the back end. A big, mobile, stay at home dman would do the trick.

Any word on any more signings after Robertson?

Nothing yet, but I'm still holding out hope for signings of both Supryka and Pennington. If not Pennington I would like to see MacDonald signed.

Rumour has it Coyle won't be returning to the OHL next season....

NV

Aug 22, 2003
Rumour has it Coyle won't be returning to the OHL next season....

Being completely objective (i.e. treating it like a fantasy team, not like actual humans...), the only Petes 1997's who are worthy of an OA spot on a competing team are Spencer (TB signed, not happening), Tammela (lol), Korostelev (maybe more likely with him not being signed by Leafs) and DeNoble (slam dunk, it would seem).

I like Rollo, Black and Coyle but typically you'd hope for more than bottom pair D/depth forward from an overager. Smith may deserve a chance somewhere but I can't think of many times in my years watching the league that a team went with a first time starting overager in net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad