Peter Mueller to the Dub

Status
Not open for further replies.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
USHR is reporting that Peter Mueller has decided to join the Everett Silvertips of the WHL. That's a big win for them and a huge loss for the Gophers. I'm not particularly surprised though as the writing has been on the wall for a long time. Regardless, it'll be interesting to see how he does.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cagney said:
USHR is reporting that Peter Mueller has decided to join the Everett Silvertips of the WHL. That's a big win for them and a huge loss for the Gophers. I'm not particularly surprised though as the writing has been on the wall for a long time. Regardless, it'll be interesting to see how he does.

I'm not surprised either. This is conjecture on my part, but I think Mueller wants his talent to stand on his own and not constantly be compared to Phil Kessel. He'll be high profile in the WHL, and will get a chance to carry a team offensively. Personally, I think it is a good move for him.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Rabid Ranger said:
I'm not surprised either. This is conjecture on my part, but I think Mueller wants his talent to stand on his own and not constantly be compared to Phil Kessel. He'll be high profile in the WHL, and will get a chance to carry a team offensively. Personally, I think it is a good move for him.

And a great move for the CHL/WHL, as long as Mueller isn't forced to play in that awful, suffocating system that the Silvertips play.

So, hopefully the 'Tips hold him for ransom and he gets traded to a team that will allow him to show off his immense gifts.

Last edited:

CurtisJD13

Feb 9, 2005
Wow. Everett is down right scary with Mueller in the lineup, along with Calla, Hamill, and Beach all playing up front for them, they will no longer be the most boring CHL team to watch.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Wasn't Toews, Vanek, O'Neil and Kessel all locks for the CHL? So until it happens. I'd say its about 50/50 at this point. Mueller is one of those guys that is just to good at too early an age. It will be hard for him to play anywhere else but a top notch league. Others have waited, though.

CH Wizard

Kirk Pedersen said:
And a great move for the CHL/WHL, as long as Mueller isn't forced to play in that awful, suffocating system that the Silvertips play.

So, hopefully the 'Tips hold him for ransom and he gets traded to a team that will allow him to show off his immense gifts.

Agreed that's some AWESOME NEWS.

I think, Mueller will prolly' go first overall and if he has an outstanding rookie season.That's just speculation...because I really think, Kessel will go first overall.

Hamill and Mueller. :eek: :eek:I

It's not offcial so I'm gonna wait before getting excited.

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
As a college hockey fan, it sucks to see such a great player go to another league. On the other hand, as a sioux fan, its nice to see our main rivals not get the top 2006 recruit.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
MN_Gopher said:
Wasn't Toews, Vanek, O'Neil and Kessel all locks for the CHL? So until it happens. I'd say its about 50/50 at this point. Mueller is one of those guys that is just to good at too early an age. It will be hard for him to play anywhere else but a top notch league. Others have waited, though.

USHR isn't speculating here. They're saying Mueller is as good as signed, sealed and delivered to the WHL. I suspect the Silvertips will have an official anouncement soon.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Kirk Pedersen said:

Is the style Constantine employs a matter of choice or circumstance? I know in several of the spots he's coached he's been at the helm of some pretty awful teams, so in order to stay competitive he has fashioned a pretty boring, defensive system. Maybe with some better offensive players at his disposal he'll open things up a bit.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
nomorekids said:
Well, I guess that eliminates his chances of playing for team USA at any point :cry: :shakehead

Don't be silly - did playing in the CHL eliminate O'Sullivan or Schremp or Fritche?

Mueller's goal is to become a NHL player sooner rather than later and he made the right choice.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
VOB said:
Don't be silly - did playing in the CHL eliminate O'Sullivan or Schremp or Fritche?

Mueller's goal is to become a NHL player sooner rather than later and he made the right choice.

oh, you're going to try to say that USA Hockey doesn't have a notorious reputation for favoring NCAA players over CHL players? I'm not the one being silly, here. Also, I'm familiar with your "OMG tEH CHL R0x0rz!!" opinions, but you don't really need to bring that debate into yet another thread.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
nomorekids said:
oh, you're going to try to say that USA Hockey doesn't have a notorious reputation for favoring NCAA players over CHL players? I'm not the one being silly, here. Also, I'm familiar with your "OMG tEH CHL R0x0rz!!" opinions, but you don't really need to bring that debate into yet another thread.

Are you trying to honestly tell us that you feel USA Hockey will blackball Mueller becasue of his decision?

Let me say it again, did they blackball O'Sullivan, Fritche, Schremp, ect ect???

No!

Mueller stands an excellent chance of making the U-20 team this season.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
VOB said:
Are you trying to honestly tell us that you feel USA Hockey will blackball Mueller becasue of his decision?

Let me say it again, did they blackball O'Sullivan, Fritche, Schremp, ect ect???

No!

Mueller stands an excellent chance of making the U-20 team this season.

Schremp WAS left off of the team in 2004( a team he likely should have made), and even when he was begrudgingly allowed on in 2005, he was horribly misused and hardly given any icetime, despite being one of the standout players.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
nomorekids said:

I'll have to side with VOB here. While USA Hockey has a reputation (deserved) of favoring the NCAA in it's player selection for the WJC's, that's typically because NCAA players are on average a year older than their CHL brethern at the time of selection. High profile CHL players are always considered, and usually are in the mix when it's all said and done. Add in Mueller's tenure with the U18 team, and he stands a great chance of being on the WJC squad.

Last edited:

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Rabid Ranger said:
I'll have to side with VOB here. While USA Hockey has a reputation (deserved) of favoring the NCAA in it's player selection for the WJC's, that's typically because NCAA players are on a average a year older than their CHL brethern at the time of selection. High profile CHL players are always considered, and usually are in the mix when it's all said and done. Add in Mueller's tenure with the U18 team, and he stands a great chance of being on the WJC squad.

well, i'll be pleasantly surprised. there were plenty of headscratch-inducing snubs in the past(just look at last year's defense). If age is truly the deciding factor, that in itself makes you wonder. Older isn't always necessarily better.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Rest easy knowing that if Team USA is good enough to leave Mueller off the roster, they are going to be an awful tough team to beat.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I've actually been thinking more about Mueller's availability for next year's U18 WC's. If he had stayed with the NTDP he obviously would have been available but between the USHL and WHL, I'd prefer he go the WHL route. While I'd like to see the USHL become a more popular and successful league, which I think Mueller would help with, it's simply more likely he'll be available if he goes to the Dub. This year, players from 12 of the 20 WHL teams were available while players from only 3 of the 11 USHL teams were available. No offense 'tips fan, but I'll be hoping for a first round playoff exit at best next season (with Mueller shining of course).

It's actually a similar case with another Gopher '88 born forward recruit - Kyle Okposo. I'd like to see him join the NTDP but between the USHL and returning to S-SM, I'd prefer the latter. I don't think there's any question the USHL is a bigger challenge but he'd certainly be available for the U18s if he stuck with the latter route.

I really hate it when top players are missing from international tournaments.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
There, as usual, will be a nice contingent of CHL players on USA's roster this year.

On D, Lashoff and Sauer stand an excellent chance while Thelen will be on the bubble.

Up front, Pineault, Schremp and Bourque are almost a guarantee. Ryan and Dubinsky will also push hard for a spot and of course there is now Mueller who I predict will make the team.

It is conceivable that the U.S. team will roster eight or nine CHL players.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Kirk Pedersen said:

playing in constantine's system might hurt his numbers but it will make him a better player and more nhl ready...being able to try to score at will without worrying about any other part of the game isn't the way to go. he'll be a more rounded player due to playing under constantine

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Mueller and Hamill are a good fit, both will be really high draft picks in consecutive years. Hamill has a chance go to 1st overall. Everette is a team scouts will be paying a lot of attention to this season - which bodes well for another relatively unknown prospect I like - Brennan Zasitko.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
MN_Gopher said:
Wasn't Toews, Vanek, O'Neil and Kessel all locks for the CHL? So until it happens. I'd say its about 50/50 at this point.

Hey genius, they have quotes in the USHR story from Lucia himself stating he talked to Mueller last night and that it was a done deal.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Hey Poindexter about 2-3 days ago Lucia said he thinks he will be at the USU18 team again. Sorry i do not keep pace second to second.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
MN_Gopher said:
Hey Poindexter about 2-3 days ago Lucia said he thinks he will be at the USU18 team again. Sorry i do not keep pace second to second.

You have made it pretty clear you don't keep pace at all. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad