Peter Mueller to the Dub

Status
Not open for further replies.

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Is the style Constantine employs a matter of choice or circumstance? I know in several of the spots he's coached he's been at the helm of some pretty awful teams, so in order to stay competitive he has fashioned a pretty boring, defensive system. Maybe with some better offensive players at his disposal he'll open things up a bit.
No he's had the chance to change the system his teams play in the WHL and he has resisted. In fact, he's had some pretty offensive players come through Everett and he has forced those players to rot in his system IMO. (ie. Riley Armstrong)

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
CurtisJD13 said:
Wow. Everett is down right scary with Mueller in the lineup, along with Calla, Hamill, and Beach all playing up front for them, they will no longer be the most boring CHL team to watch.
No kidding. That's downright scary. Hamill and Mueller by itself is frightening, let along Calla and Beach coming in soon. They also have Irving to tend the nets.

Scary, scary thought. Give them room to play though Everett.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
bad news for the gophers but this move makes all the sense in the world for mueller. he probably wasn't going to stay in school the full 4 years anyway and now he gets to play at a higher level the year before being drafted.

playing at a lower level doesn't always matter (see jack johnson, blake wheeler, etc) but if mueller was playing on the u-18 team or ushl while kessel was playing in ncaa, frolik and joensuu are playing in top euro leagues, little is in his 2nd year in the OHL, etc it puts mueller at a disadvantage heading into the draft.

the jump to major juniors should help him secure a top 5 spot in the 06 draft

Joe d

Aug 15, 2004
NYR469 said:
bad news for the gophers but this move makes all the sense in the world for mueller. he probably wasn't going to stay in school the full 4 years anyway and now he gets to play at a higher level the year before being drafted.

playing at a lower level doesn't always matter (see jack johnson, blake wheeler, etc) but if mueller was playing on the u-18 team or ushl while kessel was playing in ncaa, frolik and joensuu are playing in top euro leagues, little is in his 2nd year in the OHL, etc it puts mueller at a disadvantage heading into the draft.

Top 5 spot if he produces of course.......

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
NYR469 said:

Little is a late 1987, so will be in his third year in Barrie.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Joe d said:
Top 5 spot if he produces of course.......

If Mueller shines for Everett and gets picked for the U.S. WJC team, I think he has a great chance at going top three.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
He should be top 3 where ever he played i think. Where would Kessel go this year? 2 or 3 i think. So if Mueller dominates like Kessel did he would be in the same boat. He will play one year and go pro. Probally would never have been a gopher anyway. I heard that school was not really his thing either. Between school work and waiting another year he just left it all. Now the CHL's star player will be a Minnesotian.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Mueller should be a top 5 pick, but he's in tough in a very good 'top end' draft year. With so much jockeying left to do in the next year I would certainly hold off on annointing him top 3. He's still got a lot to accomplish before he earns that spot. He's got a lot to accomplish before he's the CHL star too.

Davef

Mar 25, 2004
goteam said:
No he's had the chance to change the system his teams play in the WHL and he has resisted. In fact, he's had some pretty offensive players come through Everett and he has forced those players to rot in his system IMO. (ie. Riley Armstrong)
Riley is a perfect exsample of the coach. One year he is left unprotected the next we loose him because he signs with San Jose. He play most of the year on there top farm teams #1 line. I bet Armstrong is real upset he got stuck with that awful coach and system.
Constantine has stated the system is due to talent. He will open up the offense this year, well like he can stop it, but will still demand everyone play a two way game.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Rabid Ranger said:
Is the style Constantine employs a matter of choice or circumstance? I know in several of the spots he's coached he's been at the helm of some pretty awful teams, so in order to stay competitive he has fashioned a pretty boring, defensive system. Maybe with some better offensive players at his disposal he'll open things up a bit.

Sorry to be late in replying to this (the others have done a fine job in saying what I'm about to say anyway), but I strongly believe it's a mix of both. In Everett's first season, they, like all WHL expansion teams, were at a huge deficit when it came to talent, and despite all of that, they advanced a long way in the playoffs due to Constantine's system, however boring it is.

Now, with many of the bantam selections Doug Stotaert (who recently left to manage the Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben Knights) made starting to bloom, hopefully Constantine can open it up a bit, because he's got three studs (Mueller, Hamill, and Calla) up front who can really light it up.

I'd be disappointed if he didn't give them free reign, but this is the WHL, and unfortunately, the league has become known for dull, lifeless, defensive hockey, even though that style is played by only a few of its teams.

no Gino

May 16, 2005
Not sure if this was all still rumour up until now but Coach Lucia confirms that Mueller is not playing for the Gophs

http://www.startribune.com/stories/512/5494191.html

Mueller picks Canadian league over Gophers
Chip Scoggins, Star Tribune
July 7, 2005 UPUK0707

When he committed to play hockey for the University of Minnesota at the tender age of 15 in 2003, Bloomington's Peter Mueller said he made the big decision so soon because he always dreamed of playing for the Gophers.

Twenty months later, Mueller has chosen a different career path. Mueller has decided to forgo a college career and will play for the Everett (Wash.) Silvertips of the Canada-based Western Hockey League.

Gophers coach Don Lucia confirmed that Mueller will not play for Minnesota starting in 2006, but he could not comment further because of NCAA rules. For NCAA purposes, the WHL is considered a professional league.

Mueller could not be reached for comment Wednesday night.

There was some speculation that Mueller would play for Sioux City in the U.S. Hockey League this season before joining the Gophers for the 2006-07 season.

Mueller, who became the youngest player ever to commit to the Gophers in 2003, is considered one of the best U.S. prospects in his age group. A standout at Breck as an eighth-grader, he moved to Ann Arbor, Mich., to play for the U.S. under-17 national development team.

This spring, Mueller helped the United States win the Under-18 World Hockey Championship.

espo*

Rabid Ranger said:
I'm not surprised either. This is conjecture on my part, but I think Mueller wants his talent to stand on his own and not constantly be compared to Phil Kessel. He'll be high profile in the WHL, and will get a chance to carry a team offensively. Personally, I think it is a good move for him.
Good point.I agree.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
MN_Gopher said:
He should be top 3 where ever he played i think. Where would Kessel go this year? 2 or 3 i think. So if Mueller dominates like Kessel did he would be in the same boat. He will play one year and go pro. Probally would never have been a gopher anyway. I heard that school was not really his thing either. Between school work and waiting another year he just left it all. Now the CHL's star player will be a Minnesotian.

top 3 talent-wise maybe, but playing at a lower level is typically used as a knock against the players to say that he is more unproven...

so if he was with the u-18 team while kessel is in ncaa, frolik and joensuu are playing in top euro leagues, little and staal are playing in the OHL etc that lower level will be counted against him.

it isn't like he'd take a huge nose dive, but if you think mueller and staal are pretty close but staal has proven himself in major juniors and mueller hasn't yet then that has to give the edge to staal.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Jack Johson will probally go number 2. If not he will not fall past 5. Same team as Mueller would have played on. Granted draft years are different. It was off the map by most standards and my own. Blake Wheeler 5th over all, MNHS hockey. If you are that good scouts will know. Your average fan might not. Look at all the press Mueller is getting allready. People all ready say he may be better in the pros than Kessel. He does not a break out year to jump spots IMO. Only a bad season will hurt him.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Vikke said:
What if Kessel has a really weak season in the NCAA while Mueller has a tremendous one in the dub?

Then the tables turn instantly granted Kessel's weak season isn't hampered by an injury. At this point Mueller is not necessarily a bonafide top 5 talent, there are pleanty of guys like Little, Toews and Joensuu jockeying for the top 5.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Vikke said:
What if Kessel has a really weak season in the NCAA while Mueller has a tremendous one in the dub?

It will be easier for Kessel to have a good year than it will for Mueller. The style of play in the NCAA favours Kessel, although if Mueller is as good as advertised then for him to put up Brule type numbers at 17 shouldn't be a problem. The only problem for Mueller could be the defensive structure of the Everett club under coach Constatine. It could possibly hurt his stats a bit, depending how the Silvertips are going to play this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad