Peter Laviolette is our problem

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Cannot believe anyone is advocating for Torts. He would absolutely kill the development of Couturier, Schenn and Laughton. The guy is a total dick.

Callahan and Stepan developed under him nicely in NY as young players.

Even going further to his days in Tampa you could add Lecavalier and Richards as well.

I can understand people not wanting Tortorella but this has as much merit as people saying players wouldn't produce offensively under him.

funghoul

Pejorative Sluro montalbon
Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs
Its hard to analyze a "system" on tv because of positioning away from the puck but what i get confused with defensively for us is all the rotating of players in our zone. thats where we seemed to get confused and make late or slow decisions especially in or around the slot which creates {Mod Edit} point blank shots for the other team. i didn't get to a lot of games but i went to 2 wins and a shutout loss against the devils and all three games i could see that we looked pretty slick and aggressive. luke schenn chasing puck handlers out to the blue line causing turnovers and breaking out in numbers quick with some room to work with. i used to blame the defense because some of the weird rotation of players down low caused players in insane positions to be open in the slot but as time went on and especially at the end we looked strong, creative and aggressive in both ends. bryzgalov just didn't stop **** when he had to. i brought up that devils game cause that was a good example of a game we looked good in but had to give up a couple crappers to lose. hockey is a creative sport. its not that we don't play defense, he's just trying to make sure we make as many opportunities for ourselves instead of waiting for them to happen. I'm glad he's getting another season. When the players are healthy and on the same page we look real strong with his " system". giroux just needs a winger and were ready to rock.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think one of the issues is that the team Peter Laviolette is coaching now, isn't the team he coached when he got hired. Because defense wasn't a problem them.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
I am an Isles fan and I loved Lavy on our team but it became apparent he lost the locker room after year 2. He gets fixated on certain players and if your in his dog house you need to cure cancer to get out of it. It kills any confidence and makes you resentful. The Isles were split in 2 camps.. I don't follow you guys as much but I can see that the team is not responding the way it originally did.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I am an Isles fan and I loved Lavy on our team but it became apparent he lost the locker room after year 2. He gets fixated on certain players and if your in his dog house you need to cure cancer to get out of it. It kills any confidence and makes you resentful. The Isles were split in 2 camps.. I don't follow you guys as much but I can see that the team is not responding the way it originally did.

Most teams get split into two camps when the coach falls out favor or when a coach uses divisions for cynical motivational purposes like Hitchcock supposedly does (utilizes the captain to maintain team cohesion )....a complete Mutiny on the Bounty is more rare. Having said this ....we know the locker room was split when Carter and Richards and his contingent were in one corner and the Pronger contingent was in another. This past season there was an indication of some fissures. Lavi and Bryz supposedly don't see eye to eye..and Sleep Gate and the anonymous whistleblower suggested as much. I don't think he's lost the room completely but I do think his message is waning. If the inconsistency continues next season which I suspect it will...then he is toast.

John Wayne Gretzky

Dec 14, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Im confused as to how this amnesty thing works. I know at the time of the CBA agreement each team was awarded two. My question is whether or not we can use them both this off season or is it one and one?

flyingsouth

Jun 29, 2011
Sydney
Im confused as to how this amnesty thing works. I know at the time of the CBA agreement each team was awarded two. My question is whether or not we can use them both this off season or is it one and one?

Pretty sure you can use either or both any damn time you please until the puck drops on the 2014/15 season.

John Wayne Gretzky

Dec 14, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Pretty sure you can use either or both any damn time you please until the puck drops on the 2014/15 season.

Then its simple, buy out both Briere and Bryz. Schenn gets demoted for game one of the season knocking his hit down to 1.3 mil and you throw Pronger on LTIR.

Go sign Tim Thomas for a year or 2, im sure he'd be a great mentor for Mason.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Then its simple, buy out both Briere and Bryz. Schenn gets demoted for game one of the season knocking his hit down to 1.3 mil and you throw Pronger on LTIR.

Go sign Tim Thomas for a year or 2, im sure he'd be a great mentor for Mason.

Is that still a possibility? I thought that only was an option that one year and had something to do with the bonus cushion. Assuming the bonus cushion is back in place (is it?) wouldn't his hit be $1.3 million anyway?

Evergreen

I really like Laviolette as a coach, but I agree to the extent that I don't think his coaching style suits our team. I would have liked us to give Bryzgalov one more season to prove that he can be a capable starter and bring in Dave Tippett from Phoenix (his contract is up and he might be lured to a more stable franchise) to install a more defensively-oriented style of play in Philly. I just think Lavy's run-and-gun style, while exciting, leaves our defense out to dry and makes us vulnerable to defensive breakdowns.

SgtJoseph*

I like Lavy a lot as a coach, and like his run and gun style approach to hockey. I thinks its fair to Lavy to give him another year mostly because its tough to really lay all the blame of this past season on him. Lets face it folks, our club was banged up really bad for most of the year, and I think Lavy tried everything he could to try and keep it all together. Its very tough for a team to gel and get the chemistry going when the ingredients are constantly changing from what seemed like game to game.

When the Flyers are executing his system and firing on all cylinders its a beautiful brand of hockey to watch and its very exciting .Our club gets tons of scoring chances, I think we need to start burying more of those chances for starters !

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I like Lavy a lot as a coach, and like his run and gun style approach to hockey. I thinks its fair to Lavy to give him another year mostly because its tough to really lay all the blame of this past season on him. Lets face it folks, our club was banged up really bad for most of the year, and I think Lavy tried everything he could to try and keep it all together. Its very tough for a team to gel and get the chemistry going when the ingredients are constantly changing from what seemed like game to game.

When the Flyers are executing his system and firing on all cylinders its a beautiful brand of hockey to watch and its very exciting .Our club gets tons of scoring chances, I think we need to start burying more of those chances for starters !

He's still on the hot seat right now. The only way he makes it the full season next year is if he earned it.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I agree he should be gone, but not because he's a bad coach. On the contrary, I think he's one of the best coaches in the league. I just think he doesn't mesh well with what we have and that his shelf-life has run out. The unfortunate nature of coaching is that all coaches have shelf-lives and they're usually short.

Hot damn though is he good at timeouts.

Clown Baby*

Agreed. I would love Torts. He is the same type of motivational guy, but he is a smart coach who doesn't take **** from primadonna players (which is why he was fired from what I have heard). Players that cannot handle the coach telling them what they are doing wrong are whats wrong with sports in general today. If you are playing bad and being paid upwards of 6 million dollars, you should be getting chewed out, and thats why the coach is getting paid his salary. Hell I'd even take Ruff.
You lost me. Ruff is a loud mouth that can only survive as long as the act is fresh with his players. Once they catch on, they tune him out, and there's nothing to fall back on. Tortorella isn't much better. Slightly better tactician, but his repertoire with the players is toxic at best.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
<<Bump>>

I figured with Lavis success thus far with the Preds..I wanted to revisit our thoughts while he was here. I couldn't find the thread where he was fired and all our comments on that. While I do believe Lavi's time had run it's course here for many of the reasons posted in this thread and others that I recall and that he should have been let go in the offseason and not a dozen games into the following season...a recurring theme or qualifier was that he also wasn't supported by the GM (Holmgren) properly as far as personnel. Some of it I touch upon in some of the posts here of course.

I just find it pertinent with the current Flyers team and Hakstol.....the responsibility of the GM as far as assembling a roster that fits whatever system the coach wants to implement cannot be understated. Obviously, Hextall has this awareness and made some comments after the season ended to this effect....

EDIT: Here they are (interesting stuff)

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1336547&page=40

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1374115

This post sums it up http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=61628717&postcount=46

Last edited:

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
i would kill for laviolette to come back under a team managed by hextall.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Laviolettes system is tailor-made for the players Hextall is drafting. Hopefully he comes back in 2-3 years after his time in Nashville runs its course.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Of course, you can make the same argument for Hakstol, that Hextall gave him a team that's not suited to his scheme.

The difference is that Hextall knew that when he hired Hakstol, and also knew it would take 3-4 years to reshape the roster due to the cap limitations and lack of talent in the pipeline.

Which is why I'll withhold judgment until Hextall gets the players in place whom he envisioned being the team for which he hired Hakstol to coach.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Lavi is my top flyers coach of all time. I love his style and coaching. He and couts are responsible for years of the pens underachieving in the playoffs.

He would be good for the players we are drafting but we have a few too many guys that still don't know how to play D. And some of them are dmen! For that I appreciate Hak and Gordon.

Lavis style is exactly what you need for the playoffs.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I always liked him, and I don't usually like any of them. His heart and mind were definitely in the right place, generally speaking.

He had the right mix of passion and actual coaching ability. He has a good feel for games too. Just didnt have the players for his system at the end of his tenure here.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
He had the right mix of passion and actual coaching ability. He has a good feel for games too. Just didnt have the players for his system at the end of his tenure here.

We don't have the right players for any coach right now, IMO. Agreed though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad