Peter Klima: Players in the 80s couldn't skate, a modern player would outscore Gordie Howe 1000x

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
So, by that logic, all those thought exercises centered around hockey that Gretzky did as a kid to stimulate his hockey mind did nothing to help him either then...
It is possible for it to do very little, but at least watching actual game would tend to build a better vision of what happen on the ice than hockey game (specially with the rule-ways people tend to play them) if they did not change a lot since back in the days.

Or at least I am not sure a drawing board trying to predict the puck next move watching real hockey game would be inferior than playing NHL 2012.

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
Man...what a mess of an idea that is. I'd prefer @Overrated 's theory about magical people being born than the "strategies" of video games helping kids develop hockey sense haha
Well geniuses exist... that is not a weird theory of magic. Why would you think they only existed in the realm of science and that Gretzky was just a normal guy who worked harder than everyone is beyond me.

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
It is possible for it to do very little, but at least watching actual game would tend to build a better vision of what happen on the ice than hockey game (specially with the rule-ways people tend to play them) if they did not change a lot since back in the days.

Or at least I am not sure a drawing board trying to predict the puck next move watching real hockey game would be inferior than playing NHL 2012.
What would make someone a better artist... watching Picasso paint for 3 hours a day, or using that time on MS Paint?

Both watching games and playing video games get the hockey mind going, but it's purely speculative on our part as to which one is more effective in doing so

At least with the video games, the user is in control, and can try to execute ideas in real time

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Well geniuses exist... that is not a weird theory of magic. Why would you think they only existed in the realm of science and that Gretzky was just a normal guy who worked harder than everyone is beyond me.
I'm actually on your side right now...it's certainly better than the "playing NHL 94 gave me my hockey sense" theory. That's wild.

Did people get fat from playing Pac-Man in the 80's...?

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I'm actually on your side right now...it's certainly better than the "playing NHL 94 gave me my hockey sense" theory. That's wild.

Did people get fat from playing Pac-Man in the 80's...?

Studies have shown that video games helps kids develop certain skills that can be important in sports or rather how to think the sport in question. However there is obviously several variables in play in becoming a Gretzky, Orr, Klima or Chris Dingman. Like genetics, coaching, development, family, social etc etc etc.

Of course, it doesn't matter what you prefer either. Just because you don't like the idea of something does it make that idea wrong.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
A perfect example of why I have Michael Farkas on my 'Ignore' list...

I said:
'I played hockey and hockey video games growing up, and I can assure you that the many hours spent playing NHL'94 helped develop my hockey mind, which translated to the ice'

Farkas quoting me:
"Playing NHL 94 gave me my hockey sense"

I thought the History Board was supposed to be above this kind of nonsense

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
FWIW.. he was very humble here and no arrogance at all.

He also said, before he past, that he was invited to Nagano.

In his final years he did a lot more interviews and had lots of stories. I'm not sure if he was 100% factual though... but a good storyteller nonetheless. RIP

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Studies have shown that video games helps kids develop certain skills that can be important in sports or rather how to think the sport in question.
That sound a bit a replication crisis type of study or worst correlation without a causation proven, it would be without any doubt that the average sport video game player is better at that sport than the average gamer that do not play that sport game for pure interest reason. It would be like finding video gamer have better reflex and conclude that gaming help reflex (and not that people with better reflex like measured will tend to prefer gaming more), the study would be completely inconclusive on which is which but the media reporting on it will have the video game help reflex title.

For something like Football it could very well be true that it help with learning the different playsbook and rules.

It would be so costly to do an actual blind study (finding a large amount of kids that never played game to start with would start to be hard, force half of them to play and the other to not start and compare result) that we would mostly only see correlation study that will make no effort to isolate the play game or not element.

For example:

As if there was not a giant list of difference between the average kid (and more so their parents) that play in a organized sport vs those who don't outside the sport activity itself... Or that parent in this day in age that make their kids read instead of playing video game are not possibly the reason the kid are more intelligent, more so than the actual difference in the activities.

At one point, people even thought that having a lot of books in a house helped kids be good at school as if it was not simply a proxy for the kind of parents the kids had., because of a strong correlation between school result and the amount of books in the kids household.. thinking that it was the actual presence of books itself that could help, every kids that has internet having almost every book ever made a click away now make that sound silly.

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Not wanting to put a negative spin on this good thread, but has anyone learned how/why Klima passed away recently? As I recall, no explanation was given at the time.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Wasn't Klima just a glorified Berezin. At least he looks it like on paper.

I saw Willy Nylander being name-dropped up thread but with Nylander his skills were always eye-popping, much like Kuznetsov. You're only an enigma if it's tangible. We can't just make stuff up, like "this guy was this but he never showed it even once lol...."

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Wasn't Klima just a glorified Berezin. At least he looks it like on paper.

I saw Willy Nylander being name-dropped up thread but with Nylander his skills were always eye-popping, much like Kuznetsov. You're only an enigma if it's tangible. We can't just make stuff up, like "this guy was this but he never showed it even once lol...."

Personally I think the glorified Berezin is not a bad fit. I think Klima was better than Berezin - at least for longevity in the NHL - but both were sort of one trick pony shooter types.

Klima was certainly no Nylander (who has plenty of his own warts and has immediately gone back to floater mode after signing his extension :( ).

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Berezin is a pretty comp. I actually think Berezin had a better shot than Klima maybe. Klima might have been better in space though. It's tough because: how well do I actually remember these guys after all these years...

I sort of wonder a couple things...if Klima is saying guys can't skate and all that, how come he rarely was top 3 in scoring on his own teams...? And maybe tied to it, I wonder how good he could have been if he had equipment that fit...his helmet comes over his eyes and his stick is insane for his size. How he was able to stickhandle as well as he did is wild...it probably cost him a bit of shooting prowess...

It's like the Tobias Enstrom stick, but he wasn't trying to be a fancy boy...

Reactions: BraveCanadian

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Berezin is a pretty comp. I actually think Berezin had a better shot than Klima maybe. Klima might have been better in space though. It's tough because: how well do I actually remember these guys after all these years...

I sort of wonder a couple things...if Klima is saying guys can't skate and all that, how come he rarely was top 3 in scoring on his own teams...? And maybe tied to it, I wonder how good he could have been if he had equipment that fit...his helmet comes over his eyes and his stick is insane for his size. How he was able to stickhandle as well as he did is wild...it probably cost him a bit of shooting prowess...

Petr Klima, Sergei Berezin, Andreas Athanasiou, Jakub Vrana

All players I think are from the same mold. Good skater, good shot/stickhandler, one dimensional, streaky, moody, lazy on defense.

What other players fit into this category?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I sort of wonder a couple things...if Klima is saying guys can't skate and all that, how come he rarely was top 3 in scoring on his own teams...?
According to him it is because he was really not that good, did not love it at all and was not motivated at playing hockey no ? Able to score so much (30-40 goals) because a lot of people could not skate giving him a edge over a lot of them (he is not saying Coffey-Messier-Gretzky could not)

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
cropped_Asik-Airball.gif

Man...what a mess of an idea that is. I'd prefer @Overrated 's theory about magical people being born than the "strategies" of video games helping kids develop hockey sense haha
I'm not sure how it translates to hockey but I know many football players, specifically linemen, that learned about strategy by playing Madden football but hockey is a much more fluid sport.

That being said some players are more receptive to coaching and learning so video games might add to that.

Came here to say though that Paul Reinhart who was quite a skilled Damn in the 80s was talking on a Vancouver sports show that skating and structure wise a generation later teams in the WHL were better at those 2 things than when he played in the NHL.

I'm old enough to remember the 70s and 80s and here we have playoff games between the dynasty Habs and strong Bruins teams that looked plain sloppy in terms of structure and defending.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
NFL games make a little more sense...especially for linemen who travel the least distance of anyone. Football is start/stop in five second intervals and every step is replayed 500 times. It's also completely choreographed. (I even played a whole franchise mode with a buddy, and I was primarily a lineman...we always led the league in rushing). I'm more likely to buy that than NHL 94 or even NHL 24...these are arcade games, nothing is to scale, player tendencies are not reflected in the game engine, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I played those games growing up...and if there's one thing I have it was hockey sense...that's how I knew to mock the quality of the games in the first place haha

Despite having the pedals and the wheel, I don't feel like I became a better driver because of Crazy Taxi...

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018

He didn't stand out in Jihlava either though he was just 20 and it was the best team in the country.
1706298494643.png

Rosol and Klima were supposed to play for Litvinov and form a line with Ruzicka - that would be quite interesting!
1706298670995.png

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
According to him it is because he was really not that good, did not love it at all and was not motivated at playing hockey no ? Able to score so much (30-40 goals) because a lot of people could not skate giving him a edge over a lot of them (he is not saying Coffey-Messier-Gretzky could not)
He also spoke about how he would often not even show up to practice and how he always partied with Probert and that he had already trained enough in Jihlava. In Edmonton however it was way stricter. Since he played on the lower lines with limited ice time getting those 40 goals was quite impressive tbh.

Run the Gauntlet

May 12, 2022
It looks like some people did not understand the video.
Klima is saying the that he was not a very good player, playing against players that were even worst than him.
That is why he scored 100 goals faster than Jagr. He then explains one of the reasons the league became much tougher a decade later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad