Peter Forsberg was the most complete hockey player who ever lived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I'm actually a little bit curious how your reasoning goes here.

I can definitely see an argument for someone finding either of those players being more complete, but when rating both more complete, by what criteria and is it applied consistently?

The most common opinions would probably go something like...

Fedorov was better defensively than Forsberg, but then Forsberg was better than Lindros in that aspect.

Lindros could be argued better offensively than Forsberg, but then you'd struggle to rank Fedorov ahead of Forsberg in that aspect.

If physicality is of great importance to you, Lindros was more physical than Forsberg, but then Forsberg was more physical than Fedorov.

If durability is of great importance to you Fedorov was more durable than Forsberg, but then you'd struggle to rank Lindros ahead of Forsberg in that aspect.

I think it's just about preference IMO. I thought Lindros was a better goal scorer, an elite playmaker, while being solid defensively and yes, being a physically imposing player. Forsberg was everything Lindros was only a bit better defensively and a better playmaker. You can't go wrong with either one, but it's Lindros ability as a goal scorer to me that puts him ahead.

What to say about Fedorov that hasn't already been said....the man was a offensive dynamo while being one of the top, if not the best two way player during his prime. The guy played the defenseman position here and there and excelled at it.

threetimer*

Aug 1, 2016
If we're basing this on ability rather than results, sure. But then we could also throw Kovalev in there too but no one would really take that argument seriously. Plain and simple, Lindros and Forsberg were clearly better offensive players based on their actual production, at peak, prime and career. Though peak is extremely close.

I think Forsberg is an odd player for a consensus ranking because a lot of people seem to have hated the guy for some reason, maybe he was dirty or whatever, but tons of players were from that era anyway. I see a lot of people use the "but he never scored more than 30 goals" argument, which makes him sound like some type of scrub, but the deeper you look into Forsberg's numbers and stretches of dominance in the regular season and playoffs, the more you realize how great of a player he was.

Watching his highlight reels which are arguably the most impressive ever, doesn't even do justice for what an amazing player he was. I watched all the Colorado and Detroit series back in the day and I was fully convinced he was the best player of that era, though I can see Jagr or Lindros at his peak being considered better even if I don't quite agree with it. Fedorov for exactly 1 season was on their level, and arguably for a few playoff runs. Forsberg was on that level for about a good 10 year period while he was on the ice atleast.

As for comparing him to Orr, or anyone before, it's different eras, they're all great in their own, and obviously Orr and Howe were legends of their own time who should not be compared to any modern player IMO, they were clearly the best before 1980. Among players from 1980-present, I would say less than a handful of players have any argument for being more complete than him at most. He's the best player (2a and 2b with Crosby actually) I've ever seen in my lifetime besides Lemieux in 92-93. Ovechkin, Jagr, and peak Lindros are all close behind. Fedorov, Datsyuk, Sakic and Malkin would be slightly behind them as well to round out my top 10... Lidstrom, Pronger and Bourque for defensemen.

Gee, I had a nice long answer written down and it disappeared.

Kovalev? Not sure why you brought him up in here.

He had a circus skill that amazed and amused his teammates during trainings, a skill that he found a good / little / no use for in the game depending on how the stars aligned.

He's almost like the opposite of Sergei.

Unlike Fedorov, he never seemed to be pacing himself to save the best for when the stakes were high (though, fair enough, he often did deliver in the big games). He was not the one to control things. He was like scattered monkeys. Unpredictable in the bad way. Probably even to himself. And while he did show way more skill than average NHL players, to me, he never "radiated" brilliance like the best men in the game. Kovalev "the most skilled player in the game" is as much a myth as Fedorov "the most complete player in the game" was reality. For Kovalev was the most skilled player in the training session.

Fedorov indeed was money in the game. I even like him for the fact he became a good wine for snobs. I like the fact that so many people can't appreciate him fully. Especially when their reasoning comes down to "but he didn't attempt to score 2+4 every night like Forsberg did, or 6+1 like Bure always did!" That's when I am a happy man. Because they get it without getting they do.

Fedorov was unpredictable. But it worked. Because he controlled his unpredictability. And laziness, LOL.

I know he didn't always look like trying hard when not producing, but he rarely looked like trying hard even when he did produce. That's because he was intelligent and he literally skated circles around people (a smooth long stride there, Sergei).

You basically like Forsberg and Crosby. Good choice. I often liked Fedorov better (and sometimes not).

Forsberg was great too and offensively more consistent, but definitely not always the best player on the ice during the RW's / Avs series. Sometimes, and especially in the later days, yeah. But not always. No-one was. Too close, too tight, too mad for that.

(And no, he wasn't at his peak for ten years. No-one is (at their peak for ten years.))

I agree though that he was a better scorer than his goal totals make it seem. Not a fifty-something guy though, not that.

When you talk about Lindros and Forsberg being clearly the better offensive players, to my ears, you say they were clearly the more successful offensive players in the strictest sense of the word. Higher in the hitparade, selling more singles.

But Fedorov could kill you off just like them. And not only that. He could bury you without even scoring. He was the Chuck Norris of hockey, LOL. I'm off before making fun of it again.

As for the original question. Forsberg is a pretty legit choice.

Besides Quorporquoporkquoquoroi, most people forget he began as a bit of Nordique-Fedorov knock-off / heir, getting lumped with Fedorov as an elite two-way center. In 97, I thought -- and I was far from the only one -- that he would get the Frank J. Selke. For whatever reason, they decided it was time to leave the "give it to the best defending player among offensive stars" doctrine again and Forsberg was basically out of that race for good as he was just about to break through as a fully fledged offensive star.

Fedorov from 93 or 96 wouldn't have gotten the 97 Frankie either. So when people stereotype him as (necessarily) the better defensive player because of those two trophies, they do just that, stereotype.

Not that simple, no, ever.

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
Fedorov's offense is very underrated here. Few guys could make the plays he DID make. And Lindros was not one of them.

Some overrate his offense looking at the 94 season without taking environment into account or thinking he produced at that level with any consistency. Some underrate his offense thinking his career averages do him justice.

If anyone by chance didn't get to watch Fedorov too often, I strongly encourage them to watch this:

I understand that judging players by highlight reels feels flimsy, but when a highlight reel runs for an hour, that in itself should tell you something.

Fedorov was visually really impressive, so was Forsberg, so was Bure.

I'm not sure he wins a highlight reel battle vs Forsberg in most people's eyes.

Edit: Actually read some of the posts in here and there are some insane ones regarding the godliness of Forsberg. The guy had all the tools, but only put it all together for 2 complete seasons and 3 playoff runs.

He doesn't have a lot of high end RS for a player of his caliber, but he was consistent. Outside of Jagr and Crosby I'm not sure anyone in modern history was more consistent during their RS career.

The comment regarding his playoff runs is simply false, he consistently put it together save perhaps his rookie season and nsh/col-2008 seasons. No single player alone makes a cup winning team.

I think it's just about preference IMO. I thought Lindros was a better goal scorer, an elite playmaker, while being solid defensively and yes, being a physically imposing player. Forsberg was everything Lindros was only a bit better defensively and a better playmaker. You can't go wrong with either one, but it's Lindros ability as a goal scorer to me that puts him ahead.

What to say about Fedorov that hasn't already been said....the man was a offensive dynamo while being one of the top, if not the best two way player during his prime. The guy played the defenseman position here and there and excelled at it.

Fair enough.

Gee, I had a nice long answer written down and it disappeared.

That's so annoying I'm most of the time frantically hitting ctrl+c in fear of a quiet logout during longer replies hehe.

Fedorov indeed was money in the game. I even like him for the fact he became a good wine for snobs. I like the fact that so many people can't appreciate him fully. Especially when their reasoning comes down to "but he didn't attempt to score 2+4 every night like Forsberg did, or 6+1 like Bure always did!" That's when I am a happy man. Because they get it without getting they do.

When you talk about Lindros and Forsberg being clearly the better offensive players, to my ears, you say they were clearly the more successful offensive players in the strictest sense of the word. Higher in the hitparade, selling more singles.

But Fedorov could kill you off just like them. And not only that. He could bury you without even scoring. He was the Chuck Norris of hockey, LOL. I'm off before making fun of it again.

Fedorov was money, most of the time.

During the span 94/95-03/04 most objective people would agree that Wings were a better team than Avs.

Avs had a 54.7% win percentage of which 67.0% were won by 2+ goals.
Wings (94/95-02/03) had a 59.1% win percentage of which 69.5% were won by 2+ goals.

Forsberg played 580 games. During the games Forsberg played Avs won 56.6% and of those wins Forsberg showed up on the score sheet 82% of the time.

Fedorov (94/95-02/03) played 596 games. During the games Fedorov played Wings won 59.9% and of those wins Fedorov showed up on the score sheet 77% of the time.

One could think (of course other factors could be involved) that Forsberg impacted his inferior team's chances of winning to a larger degree while consistently scoring more, or he could be padding his stats with his 2+4 nights as Fedorov was quietly burying his opposition.

Fedorov was unpredictable. But it worked. Because he controlled his unpredictability. And laziness, LOL.

I know he didn't always look like trying hard when not producing, but he rarely looked like trying hard even when he did produce. That's because he was intelligent and he literally skated circles around people (a smooth long stride there, Sergei).

This is not something that ever should be used as a positive for Fedorov and a negative for Forsberg. Forsberg always came to play.

Forsberg was great too and offensively more consistent, but definitely not always the best player on the ice during the RW's / Avs series. Sometimes, and especially in the later days, yeah. But not always. No-one was. Too close, too tight, too mad for that.

Absolutely agree, there were many great players in those rivalries... Sakic, Forsberg, Roy, Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom etc. They all had their moments.

I agree though that he was a better scorer than his goal totals make it seem. Not a fifty-something guy though, not that.

I agree, the 'never scored 30' gets old.

There are several recent elite scorers who can be argued greater goal scorers.

94/95-03/04 (one Ducks year that doesn't affect his RS pace noticeably, and PO pace at all):

RS
Fedorov: 0.411 GPG with a 11.8% shooting %.
Forsberg: 0.372 GPG with a 15.0% shooting %.

RS
Fedorov: 0.308 GPG with a 8.6% shooting %.
Forsberg: 0.429 GPG with a 17.8% shooting %.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
So how is Forsberg better or more complete than Bryan Trottier? Trottier was at least as good or better defensively. Better in the playoffs. More physical, better hitter, better goal scorer and he led in assists twice and had a Hart, Ross and Smythe trophy. He was not injured much and played far more games at both an elite level and overall.

Same thing with Messier and Bobby Clarke.

How is Forsberg the better "complete player"?

Again Forsberg was awesome. He was equally as good as his own teammate Sakic. Except Sakic played nearly twice as many games.

If you are Bobby Orr and play half a career it does not matter because you blew everyone away. But if you are Forsberg and you play half a career you do get in the HHOF but you should hardly get massively credit over your peers who were debateably at the same level.

I mean was Forsberg ever better than 96 or 2001 Sakic? 1990 Messier? 1994 Fedorov? 1989 Yzerman? 1993 Gilmour. If Forsberg being so great a few seasons has so much value then his peers should not also have seasons that were equal, or even better in my opinion.

Forsberg is a great, great player. But he is hardly above a bunch of his peers even at his peak who also were great, great players.

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
I'm not sure who you're responding to, but since I had the most recent reply prior to your and I'm still around I'll chime in.

So how is Forsberg better or more complete than Bryan Trottier? Trottier was at least as good or better defensively. Better in the playoffs. More physical, better hitter, better goal scorer and he led in assists twice and had a Hart, Ross and Smythe trophy. He was not injured much and played far more games at both an elite level and overall.

I've never claimed such thing, was simply engaging in a discussion vs Fedorov and Lindros.

I usually refrain from commenting on players who didn't play a substantial part of their career post-95 lockout, as I, despite being able to review stats, feel too uneducated to be doing so - and as such I may be more suited to post on the main board.

I'm quite familiar with rankings of older players and do sometimes comment on what appears to be total silliness. I do think this thread title, and, without going back and reviewing, almost undoubtedly some posts in this thread, are exaggerations.

Again Forsberg was awesome. He was equally as good as his own teammate Sakic. Except Sakic played nearly twice as many games.

If you are Bobby Orr and play half a career it does not matter because you blew everyone away. But if you are Forsberg and you play half a career you do get in the HHOF but you should hardly get massively credit over your peers who were debateably at the same level.

1990 Messier? 1994 Fedorov? 1989 Yzerman? 1993 Gilmour. If Forsberg being so great a few seasons has so much value then his peers should not also have seasons that were equal, or even better in my opinion.

Forsberg is a great, great player. But he is hardly above a bunch of his peers even at his peak who also were great, great players.

I actually think you can make pretty good arguments for Forsberg among modern history forwards IF you can overlook his one big achilles heel, his injuries. If durability is of largest essence he goes out the window pretty quickly though.

I mean was Forsberg ever better than 96 or 2001 Sakic?

I personally think the best playoff forward I've seen in modern history may have been Forsberg 2002.

Sakic 1996 was definitely better than Forsberg 1996, but that was his sophomore season.

Forsberg 2001, at the time he got injured, was better than Sakic 2001 at the same point.

He was never given another chance to shine - and that wasn't on him.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Look, I like Forsberg, you can't go wrong with him, when he was healthy he was spectacular and he was an offensive player during a very dry era. In other words, he is the Norm McDonald or Will Ferrell of that particular Saturday Night Live era. You can't talk about that era without Forsberg and I do love his complete game. Outside of the fact that he could have been a better goal scorer he did everything pretty well. Couldn't drop the gloves to save his life though and was bloodied once by none other than Igor Larionov in that classic Motown Brawl in 1997. I looked it up for the heck of it, ironically a week or so before that clash in Detroit he fought Martin Lapointe. Then for some other reason he fought Sean Avery in preseason in the 2003-'04 season. That's it. It's a minor complaint, but these are things you didn't see from Howe or Messier for example.

While I consider him a pretty good all-time complete player, here are a list of guys who did everything at least as good as him:

Howe, Beliveau, Orr, Messier, Trottier, Lindros, Clarke, Mikita, Schmidt, and probably Hull as well. Just off the top of my head.

When Forsberg was playing there was a popular thing that I know the Hockey News always said about him and that was the fact that the only thing stopping him from being the best player in the NHL is that he has never surpassed 30 goals. For whatever reason he scored more per game in the playoffs but in the regular season he never registered many shots and truth be told that might be the type of thing that holds him back. Everyone on that list scored goals better than him aside from Clarke who was pretty much the same.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016

I mean was Forsberg ever better than 96 or 2001 Sakic? 1990 Messier? 1994 Fedorov? 1989 Yzerman? 1993 Gilmour. If Forsberg being so great a few seasons has so much value then his peers should not also have seasons that were equal, or even better in my opinion.

Not that Forsberg is the most complete player who ever lived, he is not but he is certainly in the same class as Trottier.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Fedorov did play physical on occasion. He had some nice highlites in the playoffs where he absolutely decked Claude Lemieux.

Fedorov also ended somebody's career off a big hit (it was a Sharks player if I recall).

So to say he wasn't physical and hold it against his "completeness" as a player is wrong. Fedorov was not some physically incapable Sedin out there, he was a good hitter. 6'2 and 208lbs, going at the speeds Fedorov would skate at, he could take anybody out. He just rarely had to, since he usually either won the face off or scored a takeaway, and Detroit was such a good possession team they rarely ran around chasing pucks.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Not that Forsberg is the most complete player who ever lived, he is not but he is certainly in the same class as Trottier.

I don't think he is quite though. For starters, we should get out of the way the part that Trottier by far had the better career. Forsberg - like with Lindros - is a player you have to sort of judge based on a per game and prime basis. So with that in mind between he and Trottier who was better at their best? I can't imagine it not being Trottier.

Here are the things Trottier was better at doing:
- more physical
- goal scorer
- better defensively

For Forsberg:
- better passer

Stuff they were even with:
- playoff record

Neither player fought much, but if you need to pick one you pick Trottier. Hard to imagine Igor Larionov beating him in a fight.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Well, of at least this generation and Barring his battle with injuries.

Elite Passing
Elite Scoring Ability
Elite "gritty intangibles"
Elite forward oriented defensive ability
Elite Skating
Elite IQ

Finished Amazing ppg and in playoffs overall

Won Hart. Won Art Ross. Won 2 Gold medals. Won 2 stanley cups.

He has highlights like no other.

Imo Peter Forsberg > Evgeni Malkin

He does not get enough praise and credit.

Peter Forsberg was an outstanding player and one of my all time faves, but even I, with that acknowledged bias, would have to say Sergei Fedorov was a more complete player, and, for my money, the most complete player I've ever seen in the NHL.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
how about king clancy, the only guy i know of to credibly play defense, forward, and goal?

scored, excellent defensively, tough and would fight anyone but apparently also generally played clean and stayed out of the box, reportedly a wonderful leader.

Credibly in goal?

He played one minute, allowed a goal and earned a career 60.00 GAA. Not sure we have the same definition of credible. Couldn't literally ANYBODY have gone in for a minute and allowed a goal?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think he is quite though. For starters, we should get out of the way the part that Trottier by far had the better career. Forsberg - like with Lindros - is a player you have to sort of judge based on a per game and prime basis. So with that in mind between he and Trottier who was better at their best? I can't imagine it not being Trottier.

- more physical
- goal scorer
- better defensively

For Forsberg:
- better passer

- playoff record

I would vehemently disagree with the two bolded items. Forsberg, undoubtably was a more physical player than Bryan Trottier and I'm amazed to see you claim Trotts was better defensively.

Even at the end of his career, when he re-invented himself as a defensive centre, he never even approached the levels of Foppa defensively.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I would vehemently disagree with the two bolded items. Forsberg, undoubtably was a more physical player than Bryan Trottier and I'm amazed to see you claim Trotts was better defensively.

Even at the end of his career, when he re-invented himself as a defensive centre, he never even approached the levels of Foppa defensively.
I'm not sure about the physicality re: Trottier/Forsberg -- I'd probably call it a wash, or even the edge for Forsberg.

But you may not be aware of Trottier's long reputation, going back to the late-70s, as a strong defensive forward. From the beginning, he was seen as a two-way player. (The highest he got in Selke voting was 2nd, in 1984, while he also scored 111 points in 68 games. It was basically unheard of for big-scoring players to win Selke's back then.)

Admiral Awesome

Jun 8, 2015
Not even close to the best all-around player to ever lace up a pair of skates, but there was a brief period when he was considered the best all-around player in the world at the time.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

- more physical
- goal scorer
- better defensively

For Forsberg:
- better passer

- playoff record

Neither player fought much, but if you need to pick one you pick Trottier. Hard to imagine Igor Larionov beating him in a fight.

By far the better career? I'm not too sure about that one. I've also never seen someone claim Trottier was a flat out better player than Forsberg, that's akin to thinking Bossy was a better goal scorer than Ovechkin IMO.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
By far the better career? I'm not too sure about that one. I've also never seen someone claim Trottier was a flat out better player than Forsberg, that's akin to thinking Bossy was a better goal scorer than Ovechkin IMO.

Not a good comparison.

Trottier best qualities (playmaking, defense, physicality) were similar to Forsberg, and he blows him out of the water as a goal-scorer and a durable player. They both peaked as Hart and Ross winners, once.

Ovechkin has been a near-lock for the league's best goal scorer nearly every year in his prime, while Bossy was just as consistent, but not nearly as dominant. Ovechkin also continues to add to his legacy by playing at a high level, and he's already a year older than Bossy was when he retired.

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
Ovechkin also continues to add to his legacy by playing at a high level, and he's already a year older than Bossy was when he retired.

We constantly try to put scoring into context when comparing to older higher scoring eras, but shouldn't we simultanously put longetivity into context comparing to newer higher longetivity eras, instead of comparing ages or lengths straight up?

I'm not arguing for either player, just wondering.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Not a good comparison.

Trottier best qualities (playmaking, defense, physicality) were similar to Forsberg, and he blows him out of the water as a goal-scorer and a durable player. They both peaked as Hart and Ross winners, once.

Ovechkin has been a near-lock for the league's best goal scorer nearly every year in his prime, while Bossy was just as consistent, but not nearly as dominant. Ovechkin also continues to add to his legacy by playing at a high level, and he's already a year older than Bossy was when he retired.

Yeah I've said a few times before that to me Forsberg is a Trottier-lite. I have Trottier as better defensively and more punishing physically as well.

Still a great player, though.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

It isn't that Forsberg wasn't good defensively, but as others have mentioned it was commonly believed that Trottier was great defensively from the word "go". I really don't see how Forsberg beats him physically. I think somewhere along the way the physicality of Forsberg has been overrated. Yes, he was hard to knock off the puck when he wasn't diving, sure he could throw a good check but the thing with Trottier is that he had such a low centre of gravity that he was more known for his physical play than Forsberg.

It is quite close between the two overall I will admit, it is not like we're talking about Forsberg and Howe here. I just like what I saw from Trottier better.

By the way, I don't think there is any argument that Trottier had the better career by a noticeable margin. He was way healthier, had a longer prime, played longer overall and was the #1 center on a dynasty. If you want to compare the two you compare them at their best, because from a career value standpoint Forsberg was closer to Lindros than Trottier.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not sure about the physicality re: Trottier/Forsberg -- I'd probably call it a wash, or even the edge for Forsberg.

But you may not be aware of Trottier's long reputation, going back to the late-70s, as a strong defensive forward. From the beginning, he was seen as a two-way player. (The highest he got in Selke voting was 2nd, in 1984, while he also scored 111 points in 68 games. It was basically unheard of for big-scoring players to win Selke's back then.)

I am aware that Bryan Trottier played a two-way game, but he never approached the level of defensive skill that Peter Forsberg had and Trottier actually got better late in his career in that regard. After the Islanders last cup, Trottier's defensive game got better, IMO.

That being said while he was good defensively, certainly wouldn't say he was excellent of the kind of guy that could neutralize being offensive players the way that Forsberg could. Forsberg was incredibly smart and was able to clog up pass lanes, anticipate plays well and play with an edge and a tenacity that made him an elite two way forward. I wouldn't put Trottier in the same class as Forsberg in terms of being an elite two-way guy.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Not a good comparison.

Trottier best qualities (playmaking, defense, physicality) were similar to Forsberg, and he blows him out of the water as a goal-scorer and a durable player.

One spent the bulk of his career in the Dead Puck Era and the other racked up numbers with a good chunk of his career in the high scoring 80's.

Your comparison - and conclusion - lacks the context to arrive a the notion Trottier is blowing him out of the water.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Some overrate his offense looking at the 94 season without taking environment into account or thinking he produced at that level with any consistency. Some underrate his offense thinking his career averages do him justice.

Fedorov was visually really impressive, so was Forsberg, so was Bure.

I'm not sure he wins a highlight reel battle vs Forsberg in most people's eyes.

He doesn't have a lot of high end RS for a player of his caliber, but he was consistent. Outside of Jagr and Crosby I'm not sure anyone in modern history was more consistent during their RS career.

The comment regarding his playoff runs is simply false, he consistently put it together save perhaps his rookie season and nsh/col-2008 seasons. No single player alone makes a cup winning team.

Fair enough.

That's so annoying I'm most of the time frantically hitting ctrl+c in fear of a quiet logout during longer replies hehe.

Fedorov was money, most of the time.

During the span 94/95-03/04 most objective people would agree that Wings were a better team than Avs.

Avs had a 54.7% win percentage of which 67.0% were won by 2+ goals.
Wings (94/95-02/03) had a 59.1% win percentage of which 69.5% were won by 2+ goals.

Forsberg played 580 games. During the games Forsberg played Avs won 56.6% and of those wins Forsberg showed up on the score sheet 82% of the time.

Fedorov (94/95-02/03) played 596 games. During the games Fedorov played Wings won 59.9% and of those wins Fedorov showed up on the score sheet 77% of the time.

One could think (of course other factors could be involved) that Forsberg impacted his inferior team's chances of winning to a larger degree while consistently scoring more, or he could be padding his stats with his 2+4 nights as Fedorov was quietly burying his opposition.

This is not something that ever should be used as a positive for Fedorov and a negative for Forsberg. Forsberg always came to play.

Absolutely agree, there were many great players in those rivalries... Sakic, Forsberg, Roy, Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom etc. They all had their moments.

I agree, the 'never scored 30' gets old.

There are several recent elite scorers who can be argued greater goal scorers.

94/95-03/04 (one Ducks year that doesn't affect his RS pace noticeably, and PO pace at all):

RS
Fedorov: 0.411 GPG with a 11.8% shooting %.
Forsberg: 0.372 GPG with a 15.0% shooting %.

RS
Fedorov: 0.308 GPG with a 8.6% shooting %.
Forsberg: 0.429 GPG with a 17.8% shooting %.

The general consensus is that Fedorov was no longer in his prime years after his contract dispute in the 98 season. And during both the 96/97 regular season and playoffs, he spent a good chunk of time playing as a defenceman, which makes it hard to compare his 97 stats to other forwards. He did lead Team Russia in scoring at the World Cup that year, for what it's worth.

But the problem with these comparisons is that you're comparing a prime Forsberg to mostly a past-prime (34yo in that last season) Fedorov.

93-97 would be Fedorovs peak as a forward, though for parts of 95/96 and 96/97 he played on defence. This makes his 95/96 year (Selke, top 10 points, 5th place Hart voting) a very impressive year in my view. Often underrated compared to his 94 year.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I never saw a "complete" player with a so obvious flaw, if anything.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Sure, but could he also play defense? Mario couldn't play defense. Gretzky couldn't play defense. Missing a Selke there to be called the most complete ever.;)

I got to see Gretzky live in 1996 (against the Bruins) and watched him away from the puck. He hung out well beyond his blue line when the puck was in his own end.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
One spent the bulk of his career in the Dead Puck Era and the other racked up numbers with a good chunk of his career in the high scoring 80's.

Your comparison - and conclusion - lacks the context to arrive a the notion Trottier is blowing him out of the water.

I don't really have a horse in this race, but... you don't need to ignore era context to come to that conclusion. Absolute numbers are one thing, but scoring finishes are another. Here are Trottier's best finishes in regular season goal scoring: 5th, 5th, 9th, 17th, 20th. Here are Forsberg's: 26th, 32th, 39th, 40th, 41th.

Am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino