Peter Forsberg was the most complete hockey player who ever lived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
I don’t think it’s modest saying Forberg was seen as a threat to the other team. Forsberg was basically a top center playing behind another amazing center. Even the previous data shown backs Sakics word.

Your superiority complex worries me. Your a fan who watched them, telling a player that played with him, that they are wrong. Your opinion must be one of bigger status and importance.

Esposito said Primeau's 04 playoffs was the most dominating performance he'd ever seen, including Orr. Players say stupid things all the time.

I simply know when I'm right and will not be convinced I'm wrong.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Esposito said Primeau's 04 playoffs was the most dominating performance he'd ever seen, including Orr. Players say stupid things all the time.

I simply know when I'm right and will not be convinced I'm wrong.
Again, you can’t keep comparing these stories as if they are all the same context. They aren’t. There is nothing equal about them. Sakic is simply saying that the other team tried to shut down Forsberg a lot, allowing Sakic more space....you seem to be getting offended by that statement. Let me make you feel better, Forsberg was injured a lot and Sakic of course was still dominant. He didn’t need Forsberg, all he was saying was that having him on his team took a lot off him and made it easier.

I don’t mean to hurt your ego but I think I’m going to believe Sakic on this one. You can continue all that nonesense about modesty and that he clearly is just being nice and knows the “truth.”

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Well, of at least this generation and Barring his battle with injuries.

Elite Passing
Elite Scoring Ability
Elite "gritty intangibles"
Elite forward oriented defensive ability
Elite Skating
Elite IQ

Finished Amazing ppg and in playoffs overall

Won Hart. Won Art Ross. Won 2 Gold medals. Won 2 stanley cups.

He has highlights like no other.

Imo Peter Forsberg > Evgeni Malkin

He does not get enough praise and credit.

Durability is a trait.

He was not durable.

Wtf is with the "Peter Forsberg > Evgeni Malkin". There's about half a dozen players better to use than Evgeni Malkin o_O

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Again, you can’t keep comparing these stories as if they are all the same context. They aren’t. There is nothing equal about them. Sakic is simply saying that the other team tried to shut down Forsberg a lot, allowing Sakic more space....you seem to be getting offended by that statement. Let me make you feel better, Forsberg was injured a lot and Sakic of course was still dominant. He didn’t need Forsberg, all he was saying was that having him on his team took a lot off him and made it easier.

I don’t mean to hurt your ego but I think I’m going to believe Sakic on this one. You can continue all that nonesense about modesty and that he clearly is just being nice and knows the “truth.”

Sakic was still better then foresberg, all the youtube clips in the world won't change this.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Sundin was always the better player than Forsberg. It was just that Forsberg was in Colorado and a very flashy player.

Sundin was a beast though. But all in all, that era of swedish players are highly overrated. Just look at what they did not achieve at international level.
Huh? They were the last non-Canada team to win anything resembling a best on best tournament. Canada won in 2002, 2004 (World Cup with no gimmick), 2010 and 2014. To be the key players on the last team to do that is pretty impressive, just as it was for Hasek/Jagr in 98 to pull off and the 96 American team (Chelios, Leetch, Hull, Modano, Lafontaine). If you are going to knock what that era of Swede's accomplished, you might as well knock the international history of any nation that isn't Canada.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Forsbergs career high is 116 points in 82 games. That same season Lemieux scored 161 in 70. But yeah forsberg is the goat
a) your reflexes are intact
b) ‘most complete’ does not equal ‘goat’ or ‘best’, etc.
c) misleading stat approach as it was not Forsberg’s best season.

Reactions: authentic

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd put Fedorov's Hart/Selke in 93/94 season against any of Forsberg's years if we are going to argue completeness. Forsberg is more physical and had more compete, Fedorov is a significantly better goal scorer and the best defensive center in the league. I don't think Forsberg has a much better case than someone like Bobby Clarke.

Although, I think the most complete discussion gets into futile territory because it is so arbitrary. I mean, with how great Gretzky or Orr were, does it just overwhelm what you'd define as well rounded.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018

Yeah a mediocre defensive player who peaked at 30 goals, picked up a single art ross in a weak year.

Most complete for sure, lol.

flipp

Jan 11, 2010
Always worth mentioning too how Forsberg has a higher goals per game in the playoffs than...

Crosby
Malkin
Jagr
Fedorov
Stamkos
Kovalchuk
Selanne

All 50 goal scorers, and he played more games and in a tougher era than most of them in the playoffs while still being an elite playmaker and very good defensively.
True. The sample size is also quite large, 64 goals in 151 games. You also see the same pattern when he played in SHL. Much higher goals per game ratio in the playoffs compared to the regular season. It is a very consistent pattern.

Reactions: authentic

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
From this thread:

creg78 said:
Since 1990?

1. Lemieux
2. Jagr
3. Gretzky
4.Crosby
5.Lindros
6. Sakic
7. Fedorov
8. Foresberg
9. Malkin
10. Thornton
11. Kane
12. St louis
13. Datsyuk
14. Iginla
15. Yzerman

Note how Sakic is ahead of Foresberg and both are ahead of Thornton? Just caught my eye and got me thinking :huh: :laugh:

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
This thread is on page 32, so the thread starter was "successful", but this is just a "hot take". Forsberg more complete than Gordie and Mario? :laugh:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
The avs didn't even need Foresberg to win in 01, Sakic won without him, lol.

In the second round against the LAK they needed him when Sakic had 2 points in 5 games and was –2 while Forsberg had 8 points in 7 games and was +4. It's almost like you have to win the 2nd round to advance to the 3rd and 4th acts of the playoffs.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
In the second round against the LAK they needed him when Sakic had 2 points in 5 games and was –2 while Forsberg had 8 points in 7 games and was +4. It's almost like you have to win the 2nd round to advance to the 3rd and 4th acts of the playoffs.

It's almost like winning the 3rd and 4th rounds wins you the Stanley Cup.

Again Sakic carried his team without the human band aid. You can make all the excuses you want but it doesn't change facts.

Except at Diving, Foresberg was better at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad