GDT: Peter Chiarelli vs HFOil | End of Season Presser | 12:00 PM | Streamed

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Edmonton Journal and Terry Jones ripping Chiarelli a new one for his conference, lol.

JONES: Chiarelli does not shoulder enough blame for lost season

Chiarelli's been given the nickname "The Ghost" by Edmonton media members, Spector said it last week, now Jones is saying all the media guys call Chiarelli that. Jones shredded him for not taking enough blame for the season.

Edmonton Journal's online poll also has 78% of respondents wanting Chiarelli fired:

Twitter reacts to Peter Chiarelli's press conference: "How is he still GM?"

Yikes at that headline, Edmonton Journal pulling no punches.

Looks like Chia's allies in the Edmonton media are running really, really thin even if they were willing to be cordial to his face. Never seen a GM in Edmonton get dumped on like this.

Staples' podcast says Chiarelli has lost the support of a large majority of the fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
There really wasn't much to that conference or whatever you call it.

He did say some things that fans will be puzzled by, like that Lucic's skating wasn't his big issue. I suppose you could say that if he were scoring more, fans would overlook the skating, but I don't think there's any angle to defend Lucic on.

He said that he'd be willing to trade his 1st rounder... Okay. That's nice.

He said again he wants an offensive D, and wasn't married to the idea that it had to be right wing. That is good. However Chia, you've been saying you want that player for the entire time you've been here and given us Auvitu.

Nicholson earlier in the year saying we need a top pairing Dman was just cringe x10. Yeah, no $@*# There's only exactly 31 teams that would like another one too.

9th overall for Clutterbuck incoming!

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Edmonton Journal and Terry Jones ripping Chiarelli a new one for his conference, lol.

JONES: Chiarelli does not shoulder enough blame for lost season

Chiarelli's been given the nickname "The Ghost" by Edmonton media members, Spector said it last week, now Jones is saying all the media guys call Chiarelli that. Jones shredded him for not taking enough blame for the season.

Edmonton Journal's online poll also has 78% of respondents wanting Chiarelli fired:

Twitter reacts to Peter Chiarelli's press conference: "How is he still GM?"

Yikes at that headline, Edmonton Journal pulling no punches.

Looks like Chia's allies in the Edmonton media are running really, really thin even if they were willing to be cordial to his face. Never seen a GM in Edmonton get dumped on like this.

Staples' podcast says Chiarelli has lost the support of a large majority of the fans.

I was with Jones in his article all the way to the end until he said he thinks Chiarelli and Mclellan should both stay and Chiarelli is among one of the best in the business despite his rap sheet.

Reactions: TB12 and frag2

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Chiarelli is a train-wreck when he talks to the media. I watched the first few minutes of the presser, but I had to turn it off as (a) his nervous discomfort was cringeworthy, and (b) he clearly has nothing of importance to say, nor has decided any course of action. Complete waste of time to even go through with it.

Sather totally owned the media when he talked to them (including when the team was losing in the mid-90s). He always had a clear point, and something smart to say. In short, he sounded like he knew exactly what was going on and what he wanted to do.

Lowe has become an arrogant prick in post-playing days, but at least in arrogance he sounded confident. He seemed to have a clear idea of what he was going to do, even if his results were mixed.

Chiarelli, as evidenced by his public speaking, has no confidence and has no clue what he is doing. I think this is why the fans all want him gone -- everything about his self-presentation suggests he's completely at a loss.

It would help if he could speak in coherent passages and without non-sequiturs.

I'm not entirely sure McLellan knows what he's doing either, but at least he speaks extremely well. He's articulate and speaks to a clear point. I'd rather he be the GM at this point. (Then again, I'd rather Daffy Duck were the GM at this point.)

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I guess everybody gets something different out of a conference when they watch it but 2 things I got out of it:

-He sounds like he himself is not going anywhere.
- "Todd is a very good coach" sounds like Todd is not going anywhere either.

Certainly not the world's greatest speaker, zero charisma. No JFK, that's for sure.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
My issues with the team this year.

- Klefbom, have no idea why they waited so long to have him get surgery. Should've had it a long time ago so that he could've played some games to finish the year semi-healthy
- Really had no issue giving the wingers that chances and keeping the cap space in the back pocket. But as I said before the year it will be on PC to pull the trigger at some point during the year to rectify the situation if it doesn't go well.
- Special teams, PP just can't be that bad with this group of players. It should've been up to PC to either bring in help via a player trade or get rid of the guy running the PK.

My biggest concerns with these issues is they weren't addressed this year and we are going into next year not knowing if we will be any better. At least bringing in some new personnel we could've tried new things and seen if we had to make further adjustments. All I see now is we are going to bank on young players to get better(again) and we are going to bank on Klef and Sekera's health.

At least if they do acquire a top d-man that should have impact, but does acquiring a top 6 winger guarantee anything? Not everyone is a fit. I'd hope that whoever we get could play with Mcadavid or Drai, but that's no guarantee either.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
- Klefbom, have no idea why they waited so long to have him get surgery.
Gregor already addressed this on Twitter. Surgery is ALWAYS the last option. Because there's no guaranteed it will go well. There are other guys who had the surgery that Klefbom did and never played again because the damaged sustained in it.

I think this the big misconception we have, because they always seem to go well, that Surgery is actually very serious and risky, of course players and teams see it as a last resort.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This pressor makes me thing that everyone is on a short leash and if the team has a slow start they people will be relived of duties.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I was with Jones in his article all the way to the end until he said he thinks Chiarelli and Mclellan should both stay and Chiarelli is among one of the best in the business despite his rap sheet.

Yes, I couldn't understand this either. He goes on about all the trades gone bad and then says he himself would have made them?? These two are the best in the business even with their rap sheets?? Nebulous or what??

Reactions: TB12

North

Jun 25, 2009
This pressor makes me thing that everyone is on a short leash and if the team has a slow start they people will be relived of duties.

That's what I'm thinking too.

They know that another season like this one will not be tolerated.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Yes, I couldn't understand this either. He goes on about all the trades gone bad and then says he himself would have made them?? These two are the best in the business even with their rap sheets?? Nebulous or what??

Doesn't want his all-access pass revoked I guess.

Reactions: frag2

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Doesn't want his all-access pass revoked I guess.

I think it is just Jones way of writing, he's always been like this.

He makes a number of points then basically retracts them leaving the reader wondering what the point of the article is.

Unlike what Jones says here, I am pretty sure that if you had a secret poll where NHL executives ranked the best coaches and GM's in the game these 2 would be nowhere near the top. They certainly are not the best in the business by any stretch of the imagination.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
And? Why then are you so unwilling to hold him accountable for the result?
Pro sports is a results oriented business. There are no 'I tried' ribbons in the NHL.
The man needs a good firing.
and I've said time and time again that he had a bad summer and everything he brought in turned to crap

but the year before most of his signings and trades paid off

I'm not willing to fire a guy after 1 bad offseason...he's on a very short leash and needs a very productive summer but gets this offseason to fix the mess he created

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I’m one of the seemingly very few who don’t mind Chiarelli and don’t think he’s as bad as this season indicates. I would also hope I’m one of the many that couldn’t care less about what the media thinks about this team or any other, but I doubt that’s the case.

That said, I’d feel very uneasy about trading the first round pick this year.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That's what I'm thinking too.

They know that another season like this one will not be tolerated.
A friend of mine Suggested that with all the " He's a good coach, but..." statements that Chia made, that they might be looking for a "better option" to emerge possibly. I wonder if they'll move out both assistant coaches (Johnson and Woodcroft), bring in an Associate coach in Alain Vigneault and Coffey as the other assistant. More experience behind the bench and pressure on McLellan.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Gregor already addressed this on Twitter. Surgery is ALWAYS the last option. Because there's no guaranteed it will go well. There are other guys who had the surgery that Klefbom did and never played again because the damaged sustained in it.

I think this the big misconception we have, because they always seem to go well, that Surgery is actually very serious and risky, of course players and teams see it as a last resort.
When it's something that has been around for years, the last option shouldn't have been in March of 2018

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Which is some what scary if PC is on that same leash. This is becoming the time where a GM has no choice and has to make a move or he can be fired.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Which is some what scary if PC is on that same leash. This is becoming the time where a GM has no choice and has to make a move or he can be fired.
Fair, but I mean if you're Chiarelli you're already understanding the need to make changes, because you can't have this happen again, especially with a leader line McDavid, even a little help would make them a playoff team, basically.

When it's something that has been around for years, the last option shouldn't have been in March of 2018
Again, it's still scary for the players, plus a lot of guys have long time injuries that just work through it. I see what you're saying, but I suspect it "got worse" to the point where they lack other options. Not surprising, imo, that they're looking at moving him possible.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Fair, but I mean if you're Chiarelli you're already understanding the need to make changes, because you can't have this happen again, especially with a leader line McDavid, even a little help would make them a playoff team, basically.

Again, it's still scary for the players, plus a lot of guys have long time injuries that just work through it. I see what you're saying, but I suspect it "got worse" to the point where they lack other options. Not surprising, imo, that they're looking at moving him possible.
I just hope if PC is going all in with great assets again that he gets the right fit. He really has no choice at this point, the fans are one thing, but can he convince Katz that the right player just wasn't available again?

I can understand why Klef would wait when the issue first came up, but at the same time he was in obvious pain early this year. You'd think the guy himself would want to try it out. Heck in a perfect world he would've had it done when he was dealing with his foot issue. Just don't know how bad the shoulder was then.

When you hear the player talk about it messed up his shot, his positioning, was living with pain all the time unless he had a cortisone shot you have to wonder why continue to live through it. Even if surgery fails, what did he have to lose? He was already becoming a worse player, but at least he has a contract. Be different if he was a RFA or something.

The scary part for me was it reminded me of Hesmky. When there was no way he could do more damage to the injury he had in his shoulder. Which was correct, but they didn't account for him injuring a different part due to him changing how he played and moved.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
A friend of mine Suggested that with all the " He's a good coach, but..." statements that Chia made, that they might be looking for a "better option" to emerge possibly. I wonder if they'll move out both assistant coaches (Johnson and Woodcroft), bring in an Associate coach in Alain Vigneault and Coffey as the other assistant. More experience behind the bench and pressure on McLellan.
to me, there's no justification for bringing back Woodcroft and Johnson...the special teams really sunk this team

if McLellan doesn't want to fire them, than he can go with them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad