GDT: Peter Chiarelli vs HFOil | End of Season Presser | 12:00 PM | Streamed

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Nurse was about where he should have been for the first half of the season then dropped off which is why I'd count him as a disappointment overall.

Nurse with the puck is a gong show. All our Dmen suck. We're just so accustomed to horrible defence that anything remotely decent, we think its a godsend

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
If the team was looking for Vanek they would have signed Vanek. They felt they had enough on the wings and that did not happen.
The team was looking for a D. They have said it multiple times.

As for Vanek, yes maybe under Tortorella he wants to work because if he doesn't he isn't seeing the ice. If he isn't seeing the ice, his next contract will be in the KHL for rubles not US dollars. Its in Vaneks self interest to work hard now.

Vaneks reputation precedes him, I am afraid. Its well documented by others in the hockey business.
I just have to point out that Lucic only seems to work when Lucic wants to, as well. And if Torts is able to get something out of Vanek through the use of accountability and ice time, then why can't TMac? Isn't what you said about Torts a pretty damning indictment of Todd?

Reactions: Aerrol

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I just have to point out that Lucic only seems to work when Lucic wants to, as well. And if Torts is able to get something out of Vanek through the use of accountability and ice time, then why can't TMac? Isn't what you said about Torts a pretty damning indictment of Todd?
I don't disagree about the accountability and the wants v. work, but I will say that Vanek is working toward being a UFA and getting a nice big, length contract, Lucic is not, nothing T-Mac can do about that. For what it's worth.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Lots of red flags in this presser.

1. Not recognizing lack of winger depth.
2. Not recognizing lack of speed.
3. 1st round pick in play. (this is an issue for me as it allows Chia to damage the future of this team further)
4. No personal accountability.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

I guess around 12:30pm?

Bobby Nick's Burger 2.0 is finally ready to be released?

Could you imagine if it actually was about a ****ing burger. The rage that would ensue here.

Realistically, who are the Chia replacement options?

Reactions: Aerrol

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Could you imagine if it actually was about a ****ing burger. The rage that would ensue here.

"Alright, so we didn't get it right the first time. I mean, who the hell puts mayo on a burger!?! There is a thorough review going into this and we promise--we will bring you a delicious Bobby Nicks' Burger. I have cleared my schedule and will dedicate all of my spare time to deliciousness."

Reactions: Aerrol and snipes

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think it’s the average, reasonably informed HFOil member would do a better job with player personnel than Chia.

Honestly I agree. Which is sad, considering this is just a passion/hobby for us. I mentioned it yesterday but when I watched the press conference, I felt like he was out of touch with his own team. Makes you wonder how much some of these guys even work.

Reactions: Aerrol and snipes

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
The main thing to take away from this presser is his mentioning that while the players are fast they couldn’t process the game equally as fast game in and game out.

That explains a lot.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I disagree about Lucic work ethic. He had a brutal second half of the season but it wasn’t due to a lack of effort or work ethic.

Vanek is a scorer, and not much else, however he has a history of being difficult to work with and shows up when he wants to. Lucic and Vanek are two totally different players and their records I believe speak for themselves.

As for it being damning of TMac, I don’t believe your analogy makes any sense. Vanek playing for Tortorella is somehow comparable to Lucic playing for TMac? Sorry I see what dots your trying to connect but I don’t believe it is valid.

As said Lucic wasn’t scoring due to work, effort or coasting. TMac was trying to get his scoring engine started and nothing worked, his confidence tanked.

Vanek works when it suits him. His contract is coming up so a good playoff will give him some looks from other teams this summer. Who knows, maybe Edmonton’s favourite GM will sign him to a contract?

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I disagree about Lucic work ethic. He had a brutal second half of the season but it wasn’t due to a lack of effort or work ethic.

Vanek is a scorer, and not much else, however he has a history of being difficult to work with and shows up when he wants to. Lucic and Vanek are two totally different players and their records I believe speak for themselves.

As for it being damning of TMac, I don’t believe your analogy makes any sense. Vanek playing for Tortorella is somehow comparable to Lucic playing for TMac? Sorry I see what dots your trying to connect but I don’t believe it is valid.

As said Lucic wasn’t scoring due to work, effort or coasting. TMac was trying to get his scoring engine started and nothing worked, his confidence tanked.

Vanek works when it suits him. His contract is coming up so a good playoff will give him some looks from other teams this summer. Who knows, maybe Edmonton’s favourite GM will sign him to a contract?
I wasn't meaning to compare TMac's handling of Lucic to Torts with Vanek.
What I was saying is if Torts could get the most out of Vanek, why wouldn't TMac have been able to get the most out of Vanek had he signed in Edmonton? Doesn't that say something about TMac if you don't think Vanek could have been successful here?

Reactions: Night Witch

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I wasn't meaning to compare TMac's handling of Lucic to Torts with Vanek.
What I was saying is if Torts could get the most out of Vanek, why wouldn't TMac have been able to get the most out of Vanek had he signed in Edmonton? Doesn't that say something about TMac if you don't think Vanek could have been successful here?

AH ok, and yes that is a fair point indeed.

That said I would be shocked if Vanek survived a full year under Tortorella. He only had to play 20 some games and playoffs. Short sample size for him under Torts but I cant see that marriage being long term.

Reactions: TB12

North

Jun 25, 2009
A friend of mine Suggested that with all the " He's a good coach, but..." statements that Chia made, that they might be looking for a "better option" to emerge possibly. I wonder if they'll move out both assistant coaches (Johnson and Woodcroft), bring in an Associate coach in Alain Vigneault and Coffey as the other assistant. More experience behind the bench and pressure on McLellan.

I don't want Vigneault anywhere near this team.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Turned out a burger announcement would have been 1000 times better :)

Instead we were all sitting there thinking something like this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad