Rumor: Peter Chiarelli to the Canucks (now corroborated by Pierre LeBrun)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
as hard as it is sometimes to sort out the accountability of gms, sheer weight of numbers of nightmare transactions tells the tale for chiarelli. a guy who moved seiguin and hall, traded for reinhart, turned eberle into spooner, drafted poolparty, signed lucic, and made those final deals has a fatal flaw in his ability to evaluate talent.

How about a guy who was in the same room pushing hard to move Seguin, traded for Gudbranson, signed Eriksson, turned Kesler into nothing, drafted Juolevi, and tried both to trade for and sign Lucic?

Does this hypothetical person also have a 'fatal flaw in his ability to evaluate talent'?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
How about a guy who was in the same room pushing hard to move Seguin, traded for Gudbranson, signed Eriksson, turned Kesler into nothing, drafted Juolevi, and tried both to trade for and sign Lucic?

Does this hypothetical person also have a 'fatal flaw in his ability to evaluate talent'?

from what i have seen, benning didn't push hard to trade seguin. you could say he kept his head down and acted like a yes man. but i don't extrapolate from that he would have done the same thing. based on the video, chiarelli was michael scott, but it is hard to say whether benning was more dwight or jim or kevin.

the gudbranson and kesler trades are not remotely as bad as any of the examples i gave. they are not even top 100 bad nhl trades over the past decade, whereas the trades i mentioned from chia are either top 5 or top 10.

the eriksson signing is not as bad as the lucic signing, but the fact benning would have signed lucic makes that one a wash.

the juolevi trade is, at worst, only as bad a poolparty so, again, you have a wash.

i would accept the proposition benning has some troubling chia-like tendencies, which is why i am horrified by the idea of chia being in the room influencing decisions. i don't accept he is nearly as bad as chia, who is in a class entirely of his own dating back as far as i have followed hockey.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
from what i have seen, benning didn't push hard to trade seguin. you could say he kept his head down and acted like a yes man. but i don't extrapolate from that he would have done the same thing. based on the video, chiarelli was michael scott, but it is hard to say whether benning was more dwight or jim or kevin.

the gudbranson and kesler trades are not remotely as bad as any of the examples i gave. they are not even top 100 bad nhl trades over the past decade, whereas the trades i mentioned from chia are either top 5 or top 10.

the eriksson signing is not as bad as the lucic signing, but the fact benning would have signed lucic makes that one a wash.

the juolevi trade is, at worst, only as bad a poolparty so, again, you have a wash.

i would accept the proposition benning has some troubling chia-like tendencies, which is why i am horrified by the idea of chia being in the room influencing decisions. i don't accept he is nearly as bad as chia, who is in a class entirely of his own dating back as far as i have followed hockey.

The Gudbranson trade is worse than the Eberle trade and every bit as bad as the Reinhart trade. And the net Kesler deal is a disaster.

Benning was in the room, on video, pushing for the Seguin trade - 'We'll miss his speed ... in the regular season." He wasn't the guy making the final decision, but was every bit as in on that deal as Chiarelli.

Benning hasn't made a Hall trade here. Otherwise everything else is a wash. You may have a case of Stockholm Syndrome.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Ring Ring-Hey Jim,it's your buddy,Chirelli.Have any job openings for me.I had fun in Edmonton,they hated me tho.No idea why.

Benning-Hey Pete,you can have mine,after I finnish cap maxing the Canucks after this season.But until then.Weisbroad is looking for a secretary part time.Louie Eriksson did not like the job and is moving back to Dallas.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
The Gudbranson trade is worse than the Eberle trade and every bit as bad as the Reinhart trade. And the net Kesler deal is a disaster.

Benning was in the room, on video, pushing for the Seguin trade - 'We'll miss his speed ... in the regular season." He wasn't the guy making the final decision, but was every bit as in on that deal as Chiarelli.

Benning hasn't made a Hall trade here. Otherwise everything else is a wash. You may have a case of Stockholm Syndrome.

someone in this discussion has a psychological condition but i don't think it is me.

you should take your thesis and reasoning to an impartial audience on the main board and see how you do.

Reactions: Nomobo

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Let's face it....since Trevor Linden left, there's been a huge void in the Canucks upper management group. In fact, didn't I read somewhere that it was the thinnest in the league?

I don't know if Chiarelli is the answer....but it seemed obvious that despite all the denials and posturing by Aquilini, they were going to hire somebody. Since Kenny Holland and Dean Lombardi turned them down from all reports, then it's on to 'Plan B'. And like both Holland and Lombardi, Chiarelli has actually led a franchise to a Stanley Cup.

At the very least, it'll make the rivalry games with the Oilers that much more interesting.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
The mains think Benning is a draft guru.

the same mains that agrees with you 100% on chia, and never misses a chance to dunk on a gm?

if you believe the members of all the 30 other subforums on this board are all biased in favour of benning you may need to take a vacation from this particular subforum.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
the same mains that agrees with you 100% on chia, and never misses a chance to dunk on a gm?

if you believe the members of all the 30 other subforums on this board are all biased in favour of benning you may need to take a vacation from this particular subforum.

No, I don't think the 30 subs are biased in favour of benning. But nice attempt at slipping a strawman argument in. My argument is that the main is like a broken clock. They get it right once in a while, but it's still useless.

And what are you talking about, the mains agreeing with me 100% on chia - I never staked out a position on him there.

Do you need a vacation?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Let's face it....since Trevor Linden left, there's been a huge void in the Canucks upper management group. In fact, didn't I read somewhere that it was the thinnest in the league?

I don't know if Chiarelli is the answer....but it seemed obvious that despite all the denials and posturing by Aquilini, they were going to hire somebody. Since Kenny Holland and Dean Lombardi turned them down from all reports, then it's on to 'Plan B'. And like both Holland and Lombardi, Chiarelli has actually led a franchise to a Stanley Cup.

At the very least, it'll make the rivalry games with the Oilers that much more interesting.

realistically, if they have a horsepower issue then the canucks need to promote johnson and brackett for retention so they'd be idiots to hire chiarelli in a supporting management position like agm. johnson seems like a shaky fit for utica so i'd say he's the squeakiest wheel.

a few scenarios

-he is getting a courtesy interview and using this as an excuse to be in town this weekend and network.

-he is a real candidate for president

-he is a real candidate for an agm job to help jim and weisbrod with the paperwork

-he is a real candidate for a lesser position, my best bet being to give chiarelli utica and promote johnson to a big team job.

-these scenarios are being driven by the fact katz wants us to take on his contract as part of a lucic deal he is finding painful to swallow.

whatever it is, it's terrible marketing and pr and there must be someone in that organization reporting that to aquaman even if benning is not listening.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
No, I don't think the 30 subs are biased in favour of benning. But nice attempt at slipping a strawman argument in. My argument is that the main is like a broken clock. They get it right once in a while, but it's still useless.

And what are you talking about, the mains agreeing with me 100% on chia - I never staked out a position on him there.

Do you need a vacation?

i assumed you were defending and taking ms' part in the discussion. if you intended to simply suggest as a general observation that the main board's opinions are worthless i did not get that from what you posted.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Jimbo is Kevin
Weisbrod is Dwight
Linden was/is Jim (there's a Ryan Johnson argument to be made here too)
Frankie is Michael Scott

Chia strikes me more as a David Wallace type. Not the brightest, but not really a moron; he just anchored himself to idiots for way too long.

anyways, carry on

Reactions: RIP Botchford

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
Jimbo is Kevin
Weisbrod is Dwight
Frankie is Michael Scott

Chia strikes me more as a David Wallace type. Not the brightest, but not really a moron; he just anchored himself to idiots for way too long.

anyways, carry on
Chia is Jan Levinson.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
No need to assume, you can just ask

i think it's fair to say that everyone posting here on the interwebs from time to time posts something less clear than they intended or else misunderstands something someone else posts. unless i am wrong about that and you personally have never ever done that, i think you are overplaying your hand there, daddyoh.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Jimbo is Kevin
Weisbrod is Dwight
Frankie is Michael Scott

anyways, carry on
If Linden is Jim (sympathetic audience surrogate) then he only grew into him in the final weeks of his tenure. For most of his time Linden was pretty much an apologist for the incompetence he had put in place while being out of his depth in his own right, which might make him... season 4 Ryan, I guess?

Weisbrod I think is halfway between Dwight and Todd Packer.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
the office scenario was the boston seguin videos
Jimbo is Kevin
Weisbrod is Dwight
Frankie is Michael Scott

anyways, carry on

sorry, i was talking about the seguin video, in which i see chiarelli as michael scott.

i think the canucks management is more of a parks and recreation situation with aquilini as ron swanson.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
We have one of the thinnest management teams in the NHL, but Chiarelli c’mon! There must be better candidates available that could join the Canucks organization.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
If Linden is Jim (sympathetic audience surrogate) then he only grew into him in the final weeks of his tenure. For most of his time Linden was pretty much an apologist for the incompetence he had put in place while being out of his depth in his own right, which might make him... season 4 Ryan, I guess?

Weisbrod I think is halfway between Dwight and Todd Packer.

Linden is more like Gabe. Was just thinking Weisbrod is like Packer. Benning is Creed. Crazy old man. No one knows what he does.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
someone in this discussion has a psychological condition but i don't think it is me.

you should take your thesis and reasoning to an impartial audience on the main board and see how you do.

Ah, the main boards. That bastion of sanity and educated discussion.

I'm just fascinated how you could (correctly) dump on Chiarelli's talent-scouting acumen with that list of transactions and mistakes and not notice that it's basically identical to what the guy you've been defending here for the last 5 years has done.

member 290103

Cmon. Enough. Chiarelli is garbage. Stop trying to justify it. Linden was the same level garbage. What they need is an intelligent, forward thinking, individual. It's not f***ing Chia.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Never in professional sports history has an organization been as completely mind raped as the Vancouver Canucks have been by the Bruins.

Reactions: Timmer44

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
i think it's fair to say that everyone posting here on the interwebs from time to time posts something less clear than they intended or else misunderstands something someone else posts. unless i am wrong about that and you personally have never ever done that, i think you are overplaying your hand there, daddyoh.

I think that is fair to say as well.

Which is why it makes sense not to make assumptions and then double down on those assumptions with straw men arguments, and then triple down with the insults. We can talk about projection another day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad