Rumor: Peter Chiarelli to the Canucks (now corroborated by Pierre LeBrun)

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Well there it is..the first but Gillis.

I am of the opinion that the Canucks struggles from 2013 onwards are a combination of....

1) Gillis’ Drafting failures
2) Benning’s Pro Scouting failures

In both instances, I was supportive during those present time moments, because...

A) I wanted to be positive
B) I want to give ample time to both men before passing judgement of any kind (and yes, I was biased here because in both instances, I was very quick to praise both GM’s for any kind of immediate success).

But again - this is all 2017 talk. I’ve said my piece and will try and focus on speaking aboutnither topics.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
It’s probably a part time consulting gig or something. Not a big deal. More likely he will be hired out east. Aquilini would never do something this unpopular. It’s sad how much he caters to fans

It is a big deal when your ownership and management group are targeting an obviously incompetent person that is coming off of a train wreck of the last three years. The process is more important than the result, so I don’t think you can just point to the fact that it is “not a big deal” because it is a part time gig.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
It is a big deal when your ownership and management group are targeting an obviously incompetent person that is coming off of a train wreck of the last three years. The process is more important than the result, so I don’t think you can just point to the fact that it is “not a big deal” because it is a part time gig.
We don’t know if they are targeting Chiarelli. They have spoken to him. Maybe chia is desperate for a job and he has called everyone in the old boys club. I’d rank this Rumor lower in probability than the gem that we were trading the 10th for Zaitsev. Clearly Chia is a terrible idea but I just don’t see it. Aquilini is desperate for fans to like him and he reads Twitter

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
It’s probably a part time consulting gig or something. Not a big deal. More likely he will be hired out east. Aquilini would never do something this unpopular. It’s sad how much he caters to fans

it's kind of scary that he's building an echo chamber for his terrible ideas.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
And to think, I just finished laughing at the Ducks hiring Eakins.

I'm hoping that this is just a case of Chia calling up all his old buddies and begging for a job.

What, if any, discernible skills does he have? Seriously.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I guess it's like vomiting on a pile of steaming turd. Won't make things much worse, but it's just harder for the next leadership team to scrub out.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
I can see it now,,Benning,Weisbroad,Chirelli
stooges-1024x506.png

Last edited:
Reactions: mossey3535

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
So if Chiapet is hired, we can basically expect any player that has "off-ice issues" to be traded.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I'd f***ing love this move because Chiarelli actually has a shitty reputation which would be anchored to Benning, who has been untouchable thus far.

I also fully believe that he's a smarter manager and person than Jim Benning who (somewhat fairly) became the scapegoat in Edmonton, but wasn't the sole reason they're so f***ing horrendous.

It's also entertaining as hell. Bring it on.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I'd ****ing love this move because Chiarelli actually has a ****ty reputation which would be anchored to Benning, who has been untouchable thus far.

I also fully believe that he's a smarter manager and person than Jim Benning who (somewhat fairly) became the scapegoat in Edmonton, but wasn't the sole reason they're so ****ing horrendous.

It's also entertaining as hell. Bring it on.

somewhat fairly?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
At the end of the day the GM has to be held accountable... but they had a half dozen idiots in the room with him at all times.

Not that it's all that different here lol

as hard as it is sometimes to sort out the accountability of gms, sheer weight of numbers of nightmare transactions tells the tale for chiarelli. a guy who moved seiguin and hall, traded for reinhart, turned eberle into spooner, drafted poolparty, signed lucic, and made those final deals has a fatal flaw in his ability to evaluate talent.

Reactions: mossey3535

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
as hard as it is sometimes to sort out the accountability of gms, sheer weight of numbers of nightmare transactions tells the tale for chiarelli. a guy who moved seiguin and hall, traded for reinhart, turned eberle into spooner, drafted poolparty, signed lucic, and made those final deals has a fatal flaw in his ability to evaluate talent.
I have always maintained he (Benning) was the smart guy of that duo. He seems to be Weisbrod’s twin. Two guys that don’t do anything well except get promoted because they have the ability to schmooze with their boss.

At least (my opinion) Benning can be a good assistant GM ( ala Dave Nonis). But these two? I wouldn’t want either employed in any capacity other than selling 50/50 tickets.

Carnal

May 29, 2018
The more I think about this, it's not so bad. You know what else isn't so bad? Pistol appreciation night combined with free beer night. Every fan gets a complimentary hand gun and free beer. What could go wrong? While we're at it, was Mike Milbury really 'that' bad? So much experience that could be brought to this management team. Purple koolaid, that's another good idea...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad