Confirmed with Link: Peter Chiarelli New President and GM! Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I'm guessing McDavid trade talks are just a decoy to get GMs to listen on our other players like nikitin, Purcell and Ferrence.
If you say the pick is up for trade you can see what teams are open to move and you can make alternate offers for said players

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
:lol: What a ****ing clown.

Got this from that article too:

13. One final note on the Oilers: while Sean Burke is considered a serious candidate for the Maple Leafs’ opening, a couple of sources warn not to forget about the relationship between him and Bob Nicholson. There’s a Hockey Canada link. At this time of year, you never discount any connection.
Interesting.

McDeathbyCheerios*

hopefully MacT's ego doesn't take a hit now that he's Chia's lap-dog

interesting to note that Lowe helped in the process of getting Chiarelli..maybe a good deed for once, before stepping away from the hockey side for good
Probably trying to make up for his past mistakes.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
I know the chances of him trading the pick are virtually zero, but for any other draft you can say that and i'd be like "okay, sure." But this is McDavid! You can just say "Nope, not trading this one.", and that would be the right thing to do.

Last edited:

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
I'm not worried, because on the off-chance that he traded the McDavid pick, the return would have to be absolutely phenomenal.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
So if we trade mcdavid pick when do we start the riot?

Feel free to riot. I would quit watching the Oilers and walk away completely from the NHL.

I am kinda pissed at Chia for not just snuffing out any chance that he trades the pick

Comic Book Guy*

I would quit watching the Oilers and walk away completely from the NHL.

No you wouldn't. Why do people always have to resort to hyperboles? You sound like Luongo saying he would retire if they changed the size of the nets. You sound like Chris Chelios and Jeremy Roenick who said they would retire if the NHL introduced a salary cap.

Let's be reality: You would get into a hissy fit, run to your computer to vent on hfboards, and then pump up the pieces we got in the deal like a true Oilers fan. You are die-hard and will follow the team unconditionally.

You will eat anything the Oilers force feed you. They brain-washed us bro.

If you wanted an opportunity to step away from the NHL, was 9 years of absolute futility not enough for you?

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
No you wouldn't. Why do people always have to resort to hyperboles? You sound like Luongo saying he would retire if they changed the size of the nets. You sound like Chris Chelios and Jeremy Roenick who said they would retire if the NHL introduced a salary cap.

Let's be reality. You would get into a hissy fit, run to your computer to vent on hfboards, then pump up the pieces we go in the deal.

If you wanted an opportunity to step away from the NHL, was 9 years of absolute futility not enough for you?

Nah, I'm with him. I'd walk away from the sport.

I don't need it, I have other hobbies and they've been taking priority over hockey for years now.

But I also think there's zero chance it happens, so there's that.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
... or maybe that's what a good GM is supposed to do and we've gotten so used to listening to boneheaded GM's in the past

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Feel free to riot. I would quit watching the Oilers and walk away completely from the NHL.

I am kinda pissed at Chia for not just snuffing out any chance that he trades the pick

I would too. I think Chia is being careful here because I'm sure he wants to see just how crazy the offers get, and as others have noted, see which players are available.

But really, when are stars of this caliber traded?

Gretzky was traded after already winning 4 Cups, due to financial and other reasons.

Lindros was traded after he refused to go to Quebec (after he pulled the same stunt in junior).

It's not going to happen. And, for a variety of reasons including cap reasons, there isn't a team out there that could offer enough to make it worthwhile to the Oilers without gutting their team and putting the Oilers way over the cap.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

Love the alterations you did with your little check list in your signature. :handclap:

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I think it's a case of making a mountain out of a molehill

I don't think Chiarelli is doing the wrong thing with saying "never say never", but as mentioned, you just have to go to the introduction presser where he states he wont trade that pick. He's just going to use it to gauge what's available. You know, due diligence. Stuff that people have wanted for years.

Even then, look at the Oilers release of that game: Same Chiarelli quotes, leaving out the "never say never" part. Or the interest of McDavid on the Oilers website.

McDavid is going to be an Oiler come June 26th and it's useless to worry otherwise.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Let's be reality: You would get into a hissy fit, run to your computer to vent on hfboards, and then pump up the pieces we got in the deal like a true Oilers fan. You are die-hard and will follow the team unconditionally.

Nope. Been a fan since 1984. If they did that, I would simply quit cheering for them, throw all my Oilers stuff in the garbage, and follow the NFL or something else and just keep marginal tabs on hockey.

Good thing it'll never happen.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Nope. Been a fan since 1984. If they did that, I would simply quit cheering for them and follow the NFL or something else and just keep marginal tabs on hockey.

Good thing it'll never happen.

Lucky man... I became an Oiler fan in 1991 :( .. My Glory days include the pipe line of Nichols-Murphy-Damphuse..

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I think it's a case of making a mountain out of a molehill

I don't think Chiarelli is doing the wrong thing with saying "never say never", but as mentioned, you just have to go to the introduction presser where he states he wont trade that pick. He's just going to use it to gauge what's available. You know, due diligence. Stuff that people have wanted for years.

Even then, look at the Oilers release of that game: Same Chiarelli quotes, leaving out the "never say never" part. Or the interest of McDavid on the Oilers website.

McDavid is going to be an Oiler come June 26th and it's useless to worry otherwise.

Making a mountain out of a molehill is a understatement lol. I am glad he said it, he should have him on the table. The return should be insanely high, which no one will ever touch, but every player should always be on the table.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I would too. I think Chia is being careful here because I'm sure he wants to see just how crazy the offers get, and as others have noted, see which players are available.

But really, when are stars of this caliber traded?

Gretzky was traded after already winning 4 Cups, due to financial and other reasons.

Lindros was traded after he refused to go to Quebec (after he pulled the same stunt in junior).

It's not going to happen. And, for a variety of reasons including cap reasons, there isn't a team out there that could offer enough to make it worthwhile to the Oilers without gutting their team and putting the Oilers way over the cap.

If Forsberg didn't become a HOF player then even the return for Lindros wouldn't have looked so good. Quebec completely lucked out with that trade. You never trade a generational player unless you have no choice.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
If Forsberg didn't become a HOF player then even the return for Lindros wouldn't have looked so good. Quebec completely lucked out with that trade. You never trade a generational player unless you have no choice.

He won't be traded, but in theory there are packages I would accept. If LA offers Doughty, Carter and a 1st over all. Well I am going to think about it thats for sure.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
He won't be traded, but in theory there are packages I would accept. If LA offers Doughty, Carter and a 1st over all. Well I am going to think about it thats for sure.

It would take a lot more than that to convince me to piss away a generational talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad