Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
did this make it here yet?

OZhSm2l.gif

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I understand the paranoia regarding the OBC. Them sticking around and worming their way back into power is the worst nightmare of every fan of this team. That being said, I have to believe in Bob Nicholson, and Peter Chiarelli. There's no way that these guys will let that happen, I trust them.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Let's think rationally here. Lowe is the co-President of the company, he's going to remain interested and informed if only for his own peace of mind/interests. Lowe is as big an oiler fan as someone can be, he loves the Oilers, and if i was millionaire who loved the Oilers and could come up with a reasonable excuse to attend things like Erie vs. Soo i'd probably do so too, just out of fandom. Lowe isn't going to stop informing himself on hockey or suddenly stop caring about Oiler related players, it's not in his makeup. He can think whatever he wants, it's not like a more informed decision is going to hurt anyone, at the end of the day Chiarelli isn't going to be making decisions based off Lowe's opinion. In fact i'd strongly suggest this hasn't been happening since he decided to give up the GM job, you know the job where you manage player personel decsions, it's only ever been a conspiracy theory that his fingerprints have been on the club this whole time.

Thinking rational in the context of Edmonton Oilers is still hard to come by. We're all working in our own way to re evaluate how we evaluate this org.

Much like Chiarelli whenever I think of Lowe/MacT a rant wants to formulate..;)

Its a conditioned process I'm trying to put under extinction but it keeps creeping in..

RCee

Oilers Anointed One
Apr 22, 2015
Heaven sent
The way I see it: At the very least, keeping a neutered MactT and KLowe around in the short term will help bring PC up to speed on what he's dealing with here. I'd like to see what happens to MactT, KLowe, and also Scott Howson longterm, but for now I see this limbo as a positive for the club-- in the sense that PC will now be able to diagnose more quickly and effectively what needs to change by getting feedback from the previous regime.

Anyone who has switched jobs and taken on the responsibilities and tasks of another person can appreciate this perspective.

Make no mistake that at the end of the day, this is PC's club to run with Bob N. also being accountable for the whole show. I am happy. :)

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I don't really have much issue with MacT/Lowe remaining with the team as long as they don't have anything to do with the hockey side of things. And since they don't, I'm not worried about them.

And this is me, everyone knows my stance on the OBC.

Yeah, as long as they don't have control of hockey decisions they can do whatever the heck they want. Hang with their buddy Katz, tag along on trips enjoying their free hotel rooms and meals, go to ticket holder events and shake some hands and MacT can do his optimist dance. Have at it guys, just don't let your stupidity hurt the Oilers any more.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Let's think rationally here. Lowe is the co-President of the company, he's going to remain interested and informed if only for his own peace of mind/interests. Lowe is as big an oiler fan as someone can be, he loves the Oilers, and if i was millionaire who loved the Oilers and could come up with a reasonable excuse to attend things like Erie vs. Soo i'd probably do so too, just out of fandom. Lowe isn't going to stop informing himself on hockey or suddenly stop caring about Oiler related players, it's not in his makeup. He can think whatever he wants, it's not like a more informed decision is going to hurt anyone, at the end of the day Chiarelli isn't going to be making decisions based off Lowe's opinion. In fact i'd strongly suggest this hasn't been happening since he decided to give up the GM job, you know the job where you manage player personel decsions, it's only ever been a conspiracy theory that his fingerprints have been on the club this whole time.

Of course you're right, but by keeping them around you allow for the conspiracy theory to live on.

And to your suggestion to be rational, a rational organization would rid themselves of any potentially disgruntled employee. I'm sorry, but there no good reason for keeping Mact aboard. Tho unlikely, there is a chance he is disgruntled, so why keep him? The ONLY reason to keep him on is to give the ex-Oiler a break. Is Lowe behind this? Katz? Who is telling Chiarelli to keep Mact? Because I doubt he wants his predecessor around, regardless of what he says.

As long as they haven't the balls to fire these incompetent and/or useless employees, like normal organizations, then they are not a normal organization. And they're uniqueness is not a positive. I just can't take them completely seriously.

There will always be something a little bit off about the Oilers as long as the OBC is around. They make weird decisions, they do weird things... they are weird.

Yes, I know, it appears they will only get to practice their weirdness away from hockey ops. Hopefully, that's what actually happens.

Oiley

Mar 20, 2013
Obviously we're keeping the two around so when the team starts doing well, Katz will fire BN and PC and replace them with Lowe and MacT so they can claim credit for all the success. /nightmare scenario

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013

Chiarelli, why do you have to do this to us? Just say you're never trading it so we don't have to listen to garbage proposals till the draft.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
The way I see it: At the very least, keeping a neutered MactT and KLowe around in the short term will help bring PC up to speed on what he's dealing with here. I'd like to see what happens to MactT, KLowe, and also Scott Howson longterm, but for now I see this limbo as a positive for the club-- in the sense that PC will now be able to diagnose more quickly and effectively what needs to change by getting feedback from the previous regime.

Anyone who has switched jobs and taken on the responsibilities and tasks of another person can appreciate this perspective.

Make no mistake that at the end of the day, this is PC's club to run with Bob N. also being accountable for the whole show. I am happy. :)

Keeping them around doesn't really help Chia that much. If there is one thing the last two years has empathetically shown - Mact/Howson had zero clue what the strengths, weaknesses, and areas of concern of the roster are/were. These were two guys who showed up and decided the real problem with the team was a lack of wingers, when even an idiot who never watches hockey could have told them two years ago that defense was the problem.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chia leaned on them for some advice this offseason, and by the 10 game mark of next season would be forced to discard everything they told him as garbage after watching "top 4 defenseman" Nikita Nikitin play :laugh:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Chiarelli, why do you have to do this to us? Just say you're never trading it so we don't have to listen to garbage proposals till the draft.

Even if he wanted to trade it, pretty sure that is a big enough deal that he would still need to sell it to Nicholson and Katz before he could pull the trigger.

Bring on the funny proposals!! Our 1st round picks (#1 and #16) for Morgan Rielly!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Sounds like a tongue in geek, jokey quote, but he already said flat out at his announcement presser that he won't be trading the pick.

And he hasn't really done any media since then, so I'm wondering where this quote is coming from or if the guy is using an older Chiarelli quote (ie: from the Seguin draft year).

Beyond that I think we all know Katz would never allow it.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Even if he wanted to trade it, pretty sure that is a big enough deal that he would still need to sell it to Nicholson and Katz before he could pull the trigger.

Bring on the funny proposals!! Our 1st round picks (#1 and #16) for Morgan Rielly!

Its true you never say never because if say LA calls you and offers you Doughty, Kopitar, 2015 1st, 2016 1st for Mcdavid you at least have to consider it.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
MacT and Lowe will still be employed for simple reasons like giving more information on players like Draisaitl and Nurse...whom Chia barely knows

Chia will need time to figure out who works for him and who's expendable...so MacT and Lowe can give him some background info

they won't have any say in trades or anything

and no ZERO chance he's trading that pick.....ZERO

Katz would overrule him like he did with Yak

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Sounds like a tongue in geek, jokey quote, but he already said flat out at his announcement presser that he won't be trading the pick.

And he hasn't really done any media since then, so I'm wondering where this quote is coming from or if the guy is using an older Chiarelli quote (ie: from the Seguin draft year).

Beyond that I think we all know Katz would never allow it.

I believe he's in Erie tonight so maybe local media.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
Katz would never allow McDavid to be traded he is going to make him way too much money… Chia Probably meant it jokingly as he already said at presser he isn't moving the pick.

Edit: beaten to it

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Gah. We all know damn well he isn't trading that pick, but he's gotta learn that when you say **** like that in Edmonton, there's going to be miles of analysis on it.

Annoying.

Mr McV

Oct 9, 2008
Penticton
MacT and Lowe will still be employed for simple reasons like giving more information on players like Draisaitl and Nurse...whom Chia barely knows

Chia will need time to figure out who works for him and who's expendable...so MacT and Lowe can give him some background info

they won't have any say in trades or anything

and no ZERO chance he's trading that pick.....ZERO

Katz would overrule him like he did with Yak

So, I wonder if MacT. is feeding Chiarelli the same ******** he's been feeding the fans. :laugh:

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Gah. We all know damn well he isn't trading that pick, but he's gotta learn that when you say **** like that in Edmonton, there's going to be miles of analysis on it.

Annoying.

Not just in Edmonton.

If those words make it to the eager ears in Toronto be prepared for a barrage of McDavid proposals/rumours.

Phaneuf+Bernier anyone?

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Of course you're right, but by keeping them around you allow for the conspiracy theory to live on.

And to your suggestion to be rational, a rational organization would rid themselves of any potentially disgruntled employee. I'm sorry, but there no good reason for keeping Mact aboard. Tho unlikely, there is a chance he is disgruntled, so why keep him? The ONLY reason to keep him on is to give the ex-Oiler a break. Is Lowe behind this? Katz? Who is telling Chiarelli to keep Mact? Because I doubt he wants his predecessor around, regardless of what he says.

As long as they haven't the balls to fire these incompetent and/or useless employees, like normal organizations, then they are not a normal organization. And they're uniqueness is not a positive. I just can't take them completely seriously.

There will always be something a little bit off about the Oilers as long as the OBC is around. They make weird decisions, they do weird things... they are weird.

Yes, I know, it appears they will only get to practice their weirdness away from hockey ops. Hopefully, that's what actually happens.

MacT sees himself as an Oiler for life, like Bob Clarke. Chiarelli came from Boston who had Neely in the front office in the same position Lowe had. The OBC is a reality in many NHL organizations, the real problem becomes when there's nobody left to hold them accountable. That shouldn't be an issue anymore. MacT isn't an idiot, he made some mistakes with Eakins being a massive one in hindsight but he still knows his hockey. Look at how bad the team tanked when he left as coach, pretty much the same roster went from just out of the dance to picking Taylor Hall.

I honestly don't know how Tambellini gets such a pass, he gutted this franchise of all its support players (the area it was strongest) without bringing back any value. Tambellini isn't OBC btw. I'm not against the front office being gutted but i do think it's ridiculous we all embraced a 4-5 year rebuild when Hall was drafted and now we act like 9 years no playoffs came out of nowhere. The Oilers were competitive under the OBC tandem of Lowe-MacT, when non OBCer Tambellini took over there was still the belief they were only a piece or two away (hence the Heatley non-trade). The Oilers tanked under Tambellini-Quinn and then asset by asset Tambellini dismantaled the entire supporting cast for next to nothing.

You don't win in the NHL on the backs of 18-22 year old players, they can help but they can't lead the charge. We knew after Hall there would be a couple lean years. Tambellini was rightly fired when he couldn't right the ship, although far too late, and MacTavish was rightly fired when he couldn't either. The inability to become competitive over the past 4 seasons has been BS but i think it's kinda obvious Eakins was a big probelm the team stopped trending up, as they slowly were. It's a reality that this futility has come under 3 different GM's, and they all functioned in different manners in regards to player personel so i have a hard time thinking Lowe is some kind of puppet master. I could be wrong but who knows and what's the point pretending specualtion equals fact and then getting angry about said speculation. The teams sucked yeah but each individual involved has had their own faillings and the fact that they played for the Oilers isn't one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad